Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:59 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Default LCA shim data, please..

Checking re my set up.

For the 997.2 C2S w/ SPASM susp -

Can anyone that has GT3 LCAs on and greater than -2 degrees front camber tell me the following:

1. The degrees of front camber you run;
2. The LCAs used; ie 996, 997, Cup, etc (part number would be great);
3. Confirm alignment included max neg at the top (shock mounts); and
4. The amount in mm of shims needed to get to your number.

TIA!

Yeah, I know its a bit narrow but I'm hoping to get a few data points.....

Last edited by cello; 03-06-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Is your car at stock height?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

09 C2S w/ SPASM, 997 LCAs (expensive), -2.3 degrees camber up front, don't remember shims. That's where we wanted camber set as this is a street / DE car (Porsche roll bar, GT2 Sport Bucket Seats, 6-point belts). I just left it up to the race shop to figure it all out, what alignment settings (he knows my track driving).

My shop "goofed" on getting the 997 part numbers (don't remember them), which were much more expensive than the 996 ones you can get a Tarett Engineering (great price). Also got some rear drop links, which are needed as the OEM ones can lose your settings with 1 curb bump.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Ron - Thx. I have the 996 Cup LCAs. The purpose for my question is my techs concern about getting out to -2.3 degrees. So I am trying to get an idea of the sizing of the shims used by other shops to get out there. I am at -2 degrees presently with full negative at the tops. I was looking for some data points to discuss it intelligently. I probably should call Ira T and ask him what he thinks, i guess.

Alan - SPAM suspension, which is 'factory' lowered.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm running 996 LCA on a Cayman. I measured about 23" from the centerline of the LCA bolt to the mounting point at the top of the strut. Using this as one leg of a triangle and trigging it out, i figured that a 10 mm shim was about equal to 1 degree. I have some new Tarett 4mm and 8mm shims. PM me if interested.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:29 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Checking re my set up.

For the 997.2 C2S w/ SPASM susp -

Can anyone that has GT3 LCAs on and greater than -2 degrees front camber tell me the following:

1. The degrees of front camber you run;
2. The LCAs used; ie 996, 997, Cup, etc (part number would be great);
3. Confirm alignment included max neg at the top (shock mounts); and
4. The amount in mm of shims needed to get to your number.

TIA!

Yeah, I know its a bit narrow but I'm hoping to get a few data points.....
-3 deg front, -2.5 rear, 996 gt3 LCAs front/rear, 0 toe front, 0.13 toe rear, 8.2 castor. shims in front were not same on right/left size, I think on left it was 9mm, on left - 6mm or so. it is a bit worthless info as it depends of your upper mounts - in my case it is GT3 ones, rotated, so if affects camber too.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

utkinpol - Thx. Mounts are standard; thats why I am asking the guys with SPASM specifically. Your car's set up definitely has more camber adjustment. Thanks for the data on the shims, tho! I am full neg on top w/ the std set up.

Bill - Thx for the info. Let me try to get the tech's opinion on what I will need and I will get back. I think I have about 6mm left as there are some shims in use already at the -2 setting. If your math also works for my car that would get me the extra -.5 degree approximately.

Thanks, guys, much for the replies!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
utkinpol - Thx. Mounts are standard; thats why I am asking the guys with SPASM specifically. Your car's set up definitely has more camber adjustment. Thanks for the data on the shims, tho! I am full neg on top w/ the std set up.

Bill - Thx for the info. Let me try to get the tech's opinion on what I will need and I will get back. I think I have about 6mm left as there are some shims in use already at the -2 setting. If your math also works for my car that would get me the extra -.5 degree approximately.

Thanks, guys, much for the replies!
NP.

i think with stock upper mounts to get to -2.3 deg I had a couple of 7mm shims on left side, so it may be quite close to reality, i mean that assessment that 10mm of shims is equal to 1 degree of camber change. also from what I remember I was told if you go with extreme neg camber you will need adjustable front fork arms as well to correct castor on both sides. that was essentially a first part of a mods package I did - front fork arms, front gt3 LCAs and rear toe arms.

Quick Reply: LCA shim data, please..