Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want a 06 911 c4s cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind, there's already a sub in the passenger footwell that you could already upgrade easily without wasting trunk space.
The frunk (front trunk) is quite small (MUCH smaller than any of the previous cars you've listed) and it fills up quickly if you have the wind blocker in there part time. If you put a 10" sub in there, there's zero room for anything else.
As Dan said, the frunk is much smaller (roughly 1/2 the size) in the C4 vs. the C2 models, so it's good motivation to consider it.

Wouldn't the best way to improve sound quality be to buy a hard top instead?
More likely to be within your budget and much better noise isolation as well.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having seen sound systems in 911s a few times (older models pre PCM era), I can tell you that a sub in the frunk will sound excellent on the outside, to all the people that will be "staring" at you as you cruise. But on the inside, you will not be "hearing" anything, just "feeling". If you dont understand this post, then you will just burn your money. There is no audio bridge between the frunk and the cabin in this car. Stick to the factory sub location as per the post above...
Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If a decent stereo system is your objective, seriously consider going to 6SpeedOnline for what they have to say. Most of the people there are into modifying their cars for better sound systems--may get better tips there than here.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:24 PM
edimean22
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see what you saying, but thast why you put the best speakers as you can.maserati and aston martins got this thing where the speakers get louder once the top is dropped, so all you gotta do is put in the best component speakers and a bad *** four channel amp to beat wind outside. i aint got problem with spending money on audio systems. ill put a nice exhaust kit and nice 20 inch rims or bigger on it to, and a chip. and anything else i can think of. hell i got 50 gs to spend. forty some on the car and the rest on the mods.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is not likely to work... 5k on mods wont be enough my friend. Especially wheels ecu exhaust and stereo.

Be aware that the headunit, called PCM in a Porsche, is an integral part of the car, and cannot just be replaced (have seen installs where the PCM still resides in the glove comparment). This is also "married" to some BOSE amps which you dont just replace... And they are connected to active speakers which are designed specifically to sound in a certain manner in a measured enclosure, so they are very hard to replace with something off the rack and expect them to sound good...

There are several forums which have an amazing amount of information. Search and search again.

You are looking for 3-5k on an exhaust, 4-5k on wheels 1-2k on an ECU tune and 10K on a decent stereo... Just so you are aware...
Old 03-07-2011, 08:33 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you will be encountering real winter conditions I would definately go with the C4.

I have had my 997 for 6 years in midwest winters and, until this year, kept my high performance summer tires on it year round. Of course I would only drive it when there was absolutely no snow on the ground (which is the majority of the time). This year I put winter performance tires on it (PA2s) and, although I can drive it in snow it does not even come close to comparing it to my AWD Benz. If you're concerned you may be stranded somewhere with some serious snow than get the C4. Even then there may be times whenl you will be challenged by ground clearance issues.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:55 PM
edimean22
Banned

ok ok so the chances of the snow are maybe 10 percent every year as i do reside in nc, but family is in md. so by 10 percent i mean driving 6 hours to baltimore. this year when i went home it hasnt snowed so i was lucky in my 350z no [problems. but i was just looking at the big picture. i thought the c4 is more powerful anyways than the regurlar s. is there any huge engine differneces? i aint racing these cars, just driving it to work and home, and being flashy with it.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:00 PM
edimean22
Banned

Originally Posted by dianic
That is not likely to work... 5k on mods wont be enough my friend. Especially wheels ecu exhaust and stereo.

Be aware that the headunit, called PCM in a Porsche, is an integral part of the car, and cannot just be replaced (have seen installs where the PCM still resides in the glove comparment). This is also "married" to some BOSE amps which you dont just replace... And they are connected to active speakers which are designed specifically to sound in a certain manner in a measured enclosure, so they are very hard to replace with something off the rack and expect them to sound good...

There are several forums which have an amazing amount of information. Search and search again.

You are looking for 3-5k on an exhaust, 4-5k on wheels 1-2k on an ECU tune and 10K on a decent stereo... Just so you are aware...
ya see i didnt know all that about the pcm. it sounds like the lexus. people thse days keep the stock dash and just put a aftermarket head unit under the glove compartment to increase the sound quality, might have to do that than. although mark levension is alot better quality than bose. theres ways to bypas all the elctercial wiring to the stock pcm to disrupt the stock amp and put in aftermarket amps. im sure it wont bet that high prolly a few hundered dollars. exhaust i can get for under a thousand. take out the stock muffler and run straight pipes. put in a hypertech into the porsceh and put it on a dyno a few hundered minus the 600 doller hypertech chip. rims 1900 out a rim shop maybe 2500 for lexanis. like i said i can keep it under 10 gs for the aftermarket ****.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Might want to save a few gs for some grammer lessons. Fo shizzle.
Post back in a few months. I want to see what you get for your price point.
My guess is nothing.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edimean22
i see what you saying, but thast why you put the best speakers as you can.maserati and aston martins got this thing where the speakers get louder once the top is dropped, so all you gotta do is put in the best component speakers and a bad *** four channel amp to beat wind outside. i aint got problem with spending money on audio systems. ill put a nice exhaust kit and nice 20 inch rims or bigger on it to, and a chip. and anything else i can think of. hell i got 50 gs to spend. forty some on the car and the rest on the mods.
You know there is an engine in the back, right ? and no trunk back there at all!
AM and Maser have a real trunk at the back...
Old 03-08-2011, 03:46 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by edimean22
ok ok so the chances of the snow are maybe 10 percent every year as i do reside in nc, but family is in md. so by 10 percent i mean driving 6 hours to baltimore. this year when i went home it hasnt snowed so i was lucky in my 350z no [problems. but i was just looking at the big picture. i thought the c4 is more powerful anyways than the regurlar s. is there any huge engine differneces? i aint racing these cars, just driving it to work and home, and being flashy with it.
C4 is only AWD, wider body, no more power - same engine.

For sound mods, check topics like this one:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...lots-pics.html

And/or search that forum for Alpine and Kenwood to see what others have done. No one puts subs in the "frunk" AFAIK - no point - won't work. And in a Cabrio, you're going to need that little space in the frunk if you ever take anything with you.

I think once you get the car, you will realize what an uphill battle audio is - you can get good sound around town at low speeds, but on the highway...tough nut to crack...success stories are few and far between. You may also realize that's not what the car is really about - which could be good or bad for you.

Quick Reply: want a 06 911 c4s cabriolet