Sponsored by:

a silly dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
smoother is faster all the way, but it is kinda tricky as 'smooth' does not mean 'slow'. proper balance between entrance speed, exit speed and traveling distance is all it takes to get best time but to get there, to the level where you just 'feel' what to do is not easy at all.

i am surprised GTR with all its electronics that should theoretically prevent sliding allows fast AX times as at AX you will pretty much slide all the way across the course, I cannot make my car be competitive with PSM on ever as it interferes all the way and I thought GTR is even worse in regard of those electronics. But still it is probably way more about a driver than about a car and that is where AX really rules as it levels the field pretty much nevermind what cars you get out there.
All the corrective electronics will not make just anyone fast. You still have a drive the car...like you said properly balance the car in braking, apex and track out...it really is all about braking...i.e balance! A few pro racers have told me, Do not think of the brakes to slow the car down with....interesting huh?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:39 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

still when you enter the corner and start power steering through it with your *** gradually sliding out - PSM engages right away and you can feel how it 'jerks' your back with additional braking corrections so essentially you cannot power steer properly and slide properly 'smooth', so to say.

as of brakes - very rarely AX course has long straight so brakes usage is limited for sure. it is novices approach to throw car as a rocket into corner and slam on brakes when they realize car does not want to turn for some reason. Still you do need brakes to pre-load springs properly before mid-corner before you start adding gas. All that is fun theoretically but unfortunately no matter of how much to discuss it will not substitute real seat time. it is a pleasure to see top dogs doing those stunts in their cars, when they get A6 tires pushed to the limit of blue smoke coming out but still car goes smoothly on a line and does not loose traction. I really admire that level of skill, when car slides on those A6 tires like on ice but exactly within 2-3 inches from each cone. I really need to learn how to work with my left foot, for now I can only manage to work right foot transitioning from brakes to gas at same time but it does not really cut it, it is very difficult to learn at adult age what most of those people got learned in their teenage years, it is a very unfair advantage.

like that video below - no matter how i try i cannot get proper sensitivity on left foot to do all that properly fast and heck knows how one can learn all that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnfERDP0Fag

Quick Reply: a silly dilemma