Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE install 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:17 PM
westcoast M5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the positive comments. Today was the first day I had it out on the road - sounds fantastic.
I did not wire it into the sport switch but rather went with the ashtray switch so it can be controlled independently. Wiring was super easy - did not need to remove any interior part, just fished it through and tucked it under the carpet in a couple of spots. Obvouisly it would be a little more effort if you want to tie it into the sport switch.

I will try to get some sound clips soon. My friend has the same setup without the X51 headers so I will try to get some clips of PSE with and without the X51.

I was trying to determine if there is any extra "umphh" but it's really hard to tell since the car was garaged for the winter. I feels really strong and smooth but can't really compare meaningfull since it's been too long since my pre-install drive.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:19 PM
westcoast M5
Intermediate

A note on Aircare in BC - 2005 and newer vehicles are exempt!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoast M5
Thanks for all the positive comments. Today was the first day I had it out on the road - sounds fantastic.
I did not wire it into the sport switch but rather went with the ashtray switch so it can be controlled independently. Wiring was super easy - did not need to remove any interior part, just fished it through and tucked it under the carpet in a couple of spots. Obvouisly it would be a little more effort if you want to tie it into the sport switch.

I will try to get some sound clips soon. My friend has the same setup without the X51 headers so I will try to get some clips of PSE with and without the X51.

I was trying to determine if there is any extra "umphh" but it's really hard to tell since the car was garaged for the winter. I feels really strong and smooth but can't really compare meaningfull since it's been too long since my pre-install drive.
Glad you had no trouble. I don't find clips very helpful, as it is hard to get a realistic sound recording. I believe there is no measurable increase in power (unless you install the 200 cell cats). The main advantage is the nice sound. If your friend is Joel, say Hi to him for me. Happy motoring.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:24 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Lucky dogs. Does this apply at re-sale of the vehicle too?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM
westcoast M5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Lucky dogs. Does this apply at re-sale of the vehicle too?
Correct, nothing required at resale!

Yes, it was Joel that gave me a hand. It was great since he had done the same mod (without the X51s) on his car, so there was very little figuring things out as you go. Very helpful, although he did drink a lot of beer
Old 03-06-2011, 06:42 PM
purrybonker
Pro

I believe there is no measurable increase in power (unless you install the 200 cell cats)
Did you go with the AWE cats? Any CEL issues?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

But it's a moving target, next year it'd be 2006...
Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
westcoast M5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alexb76
But it's a moving target, next year it'd be 2006...
Perfect, i now have a reason to upgrade to a 997.2 within 2 years! i had heard some rumours that they may be doing away with aircare. Currently you only need to test every 2 years and with modern engine management, most everything built in the last 5 years will have no problem passing. Worst case senario is once every 2 years you could pull off the cats and install stock peices for the test.

I used to have an MG that despite being a fully restored car, would not pass aircare. Every year i would lean out the carbs, turn up the idle to it would stay running and limp it in to aircare, pass, then retune it so it was drivable. What a waste of everyone's time and money.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What was total cost from suncoast w/ shipping & duty into Canada?

I noticed that Suncoast's PSE is now 3250. I could have sworn it was 2250 before... i almost bought it last summer, but decided to wait.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffa

I noticed that Suncoast's PSE is now 3250. I could have sworn it was 2250 before... i almost bought it last summer, but decided to wait.
Prices have gone up like crazy in 2011! Not sure why actually as Euro is lower... it's crazy $$ now!
Old 03-08-2011, 03:31 PM
westcoast M5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hoffa

Suncoast charge $4,166.43 (CAD) plus $564.07 (CAD) UPS Charge and duty for total of $4,730.50. That was the total cost of x51 headers, new gaskets, bolts, PSE cans, clamps, and wiring kit for sport button.

Of course like all projects it doesn`t include the trip to Princess auto for a nice new low profile jack, axel stands, new garage lighting, beer and all the other stuff I was able to justify to myself in the name of the project.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Suncoast charge $4,166.43 (CAD) plus $564.07 (CAD) UPS Charge and duty for total of $4,730.50. That was the total cost of x51 headers, new gaskets, bolts, PSE cans, clamps, and wiring kit for sport button.

Of course like all projects it doesn't include the trip to Princess auto for a nice new low profile jack, axel stands, new garage lighting, beer and all the other stuff I was able to justify to myself in the name of the project.
More money in Canadian currency, when the Canadian dollar is worth more? Interesting. You may also want to look into getting hold of the broker in Point Roberts to save something on that huge shipping charge. But hopefully you'll still get your money's worth in satisfaction with the end product.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 PM
westcoast M5
Intermediate

More money in Canadian currency, when the Canadian dollar is worth more? Interesting. You may also want to look into getting hold of the broker in Point Roberts to save something on that huge shipping charge. But hopefully you'll still get your money's worth in satisfaction with the end product.
Unfortunately there is a usally a 3% spread for buy sell so if you walk into a bank, even with the dollars at par you pay 1.03 for a US dollar and if you take that same US dollar back to the bank they give you 0.97. Visa also hits you with a 2.5% foriegn exchange handling fee.....

Quick Reply: PSE install 997.1