Sponsored by:

another IMS thread...newbie concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:49 PM
MBX5
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 125shifter
Having recently bought an '05 I went through all these concerns.

When I decided on a 997 (instead of a 996) I decided I would get an '06 so I'd have the latest IMS fixes. After looking at several cars over a few months I came across a CPO '05 997S and figured well, I have two years for something to happen. Since I plan to daily drive it I'll probably replace a clutch in that time which will give me a chance to check and replace the IMS bearing.

I discussed my concerns with a shop who does a lot of 996 engine rebuilds. They also noted that while the '06 is upgraded it's not replaceable. Either way, they said about $7500 would get me a rebuild, so I just put that into my possible expenses (after the CPO warranty) and bought the car
I just went through essentially the idential process and came to the identical conclusion. I plan to do the LN upgrade at the end of my CPO warranty. The fact that the upgrade could be more easily done on an '05 was a plus in my books for getting the '05. I just factored in the expense of a future upgrade when deciding how much I would pay for the car.

Quick Reply: another IMS thread...newbie concerns