Sponsored by:

Newbie here! Looking at 07 997s

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:46 PM
legbuh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here! Looking at 07 997s

Hi all! It's been a few years since I've been here. A few years ago I was looking at an older 911SC, but decided against it.

Instead I bought a 99 BMW 328i. Had that for a couple years.. it was a fun car. I traded up to an 07 BMW Z4si. Again, very nice car, but I have the Porsche itch again.

I found an 07 Carrera S Cabrio now with 32k miles. Here's the link if anyone wants to give it a quick once over:

http://www.searsimports.com/used/Por...b1c0e3040.htm#

Now, I see in the carfax it shows an accident involving the passenger side. I'm in the process of finding out what was all involved in that. It also looks like it may have been a rental or something first in FL? Says it was company owned. Maybe that means a lease? Not sure.

Now, I've had great luck with my BMWs and wondering what to expect as far as reliability, etc from a Carrera S. I've read GREAT reviews on them as far as reliability. I also plan on scouring these boards for more info.

The biggest issue I have with this car is no AUX input for XM or iPod. Easily added I'm hoping.

I'm having a friend who is closer to the area go do an initial check for me. (he's the one that as kids taught me to be **** about my cars, so I trust his opinion on the condition better than my own).

IF that all checks out, I want to find someone in the area to do a PPI. IF that checks out then of course it's price... I most likely would be trading my Z4 in on this. So I need to get some fair numbers for this.

It already seems to be priced lower than KBB..

Thanks again! Hope to get some feedback from you pros! (oh, and if there is some sort of list somewhere that says what all these names mean, like 997.1, 997.2, etc.. that would help. I'm assuming this is a 997s?)
Old 02-27-2011, 02:52 PM
legbuh
Track Day

Just a quick addition here as well. I forgot to ask about comfort..

I'm 6'2-6'3" 235lbs (athletic build).

The Z4 fits ok... a little tight but managable. My knees are about an inch from the dash when driving. The ride is VERY stiff but I sort of like that.

Any idea how a car like this would fit me and the ride would be? Better? Worse? I tried comparing dimensions online but that didn't really help.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:01 PM
RED 997
Advanced

6-4 220. Fit fine in my 997. Plenty of head and leg room. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Accident... Rental...Not at a dealer...

IMHO move on. Find another.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Todds911
Instructor

I love the triple black C2S. C4S would be even better, but you'd pay more.

The car has everything I like, but the history (for a Rennlist evaluation) is weak. Accident, rental? How bout a real warranty - probably not from that place...

For $55 or $56, there are plenty of C2S's at this price point that have a one owner, etc history.

Now if it was starting in the high-40's, that be a much more enticing (of course).

A nice looker - you'd have to get it for the right price, whatever that may be for you, given the history.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:26 PM
legbuh
Track Day

Ya, for me price would have to be right, but my location these are hard to come by. Not a big fan of travelling hundreds of miles for one.

But, still going to check it out. The only thing that bothers me is the accident, and without details it's hard to know if it was just a small bump, or a major one (but it still drove away from the accident.. lol). Front is better than rear for these cars when it comes to hits.

My other issue is dealers like these really don't understand me, even though I'm a wet dream for them. When I bought my Z4 without a trade I emailed for rock bottom and they blew me off... then called me 10x and I said "look, if it's in as good shape as you say, and you give me the right price, I'll be up tomorrow to write a check!" lol... same thing with the next car I buy. It's like they want to work harder than they need to.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:26 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the price is way high especially with the sketchy history.

If mine was for sale (not a cab, but is 2007 997S black on sand, 70k miles) we would start talking around $45k and settle around $42k I would guess. You being as you are would replace the floor mats (not the carpets), windshield (pitted) and respray the hood (chips). That's a couple of Gs more and puts you back in the $45k range or so all in. But I'm the original owner, have all service records, have winter and summer wheels and tires, etc.

There are plenty of these cars for sale. Find one with good documentation, if from a dealer make sure it is CPO (if it isn't there may be a reason - and that is a run away sign for sure). You're doing well to ask here, lots of good knowledge and experience (way beyond mine).

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2011, 03:30 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

I traded from a 2006 Z4 coupe to the 997s. Chris at Porsche of North Olmsted in Ohio did the deal. Great pricing on both ends, much better than anyone else.

I bought the last 4 cars out of state and far enough away to have to fly. No issues, and great pricing. Just take time, be diligent, and be prepared to walk away right to the last minute if there is anything amiss. Buying from board participants (look up their post history) is a good way to get well cared for cars, versus say eBay. But I know several people who have done quite well via eBay, CraigsList and other sites. The hunt can be as much fun as the catch, so happy hunting.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:30 PM
legbuh
Track Day

Thanks.. the mats are in the pictures and look in great shape. The windshield is probably pitted but being a FL car, maybe not (MN car it would be for sure). I can live with that and just wait for a rock chip and have insurance replace it.

A few chips on the hood are expected as well. But that's why my buddy is going to check it out for me before I go too far with anything.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:32 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Type or past this into a google search and you'll get a feel for what's out there and pricing:

2007 Porsche site:craigslist.org
Old 02-27-2011, 03:33 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by legbuh
Thanks.. the mats are in the pictures and look in great shape. The windshield is probably pitted but being a FL car, maybe not (MN car it would be for sure). I can live with that and just wait for a rock chip and have insurance replace it.

A few chips on the hood are expected as well. But that's why my buddy is going to check it out for me before I go too far with anything.
I meant those are issues with my car - have no idea how this one is. But I do have 70k miles of smiles too!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:35 PM
legbuh
Track Day

yep, done that... price seems about 10k higher than what they're asking here for this car. Thanks again for all your guys help!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:37 PM
legbuh
Track Day

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
I think the price is way high especially with the sketchy history.

If mine was for sale (not a cab, but is 2007 997S black on sand, 70k miles) we would start talking around $45k and settle around $42k I would guess. You being as you are would replace the floor mats (not the carpets), windshield (pitted) and respray the hood (chips). That's a couple of Gs more and puts you back in the $45k range or so all in. But I'm the original owner, have all service records, have winter and summer wheels and tires, etc.

There are plenty of these cars for sale. Find one with good documentation, if from a dealer make sure it is CPO (if it isn't there may be a reason - and that is a run away sign for sure). You're doing well to ask here, lots of good knowledge and experience (way beyond mine).
Originally Posted by p-cardriver
I meant those are issues with my car - have no idea how this one is. But I do have 70k miles of smiles too!
Oh, sorry! Ya, my Z windshield has lot of pits too.. only see them when the sun is glaring in... otherwise it's pretty pristine. Bought it CPO from a BMW dealer last spring. The rims were all mucked up when I went to look at it and they were able to fix that for me after the purchase. They look brand new now. They didn't let me take an M5 for loaner though.. lets just say the new 328s I will never purchase..ugh! May as well get a camry!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:50 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

I used to always tell the dealer, "put me in the car you want me to buy" and they'd give me some standard service loaner. Ugh! You'd think they would have some flexibility - missed a lot of sales by not doing that for me.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:52 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

I agree with the sentiment that sometimes the best deals are out of state. In Florida the used car prices are terribly inflated.

Quick Reply: Newbie here! Looking at 07 997s