Sponsored by:

Cold Tire pressures differences

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 03:23 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
My 09 TPMS is accurate. I use a $124 Longacre calibarted gauge.
My 997.2 TMPS seems within .5 lbs of the Accutire gauge I use. In the winter, I often drive short trips where they don't heat up enough to expand so I have been setting them more toward the higher end of the range that is in the manual - between partial load and full load spec. Almost time to go back to summer/partial....
Old 02-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

OK, so my Longacre unit arrived (thanks for the group buy, Chuck @ imgt3performance.com) the other day, and I was curious to see if I could get more accurate readings.

Took out the manual air pump I use that has a pretty damn good gauge on it. Then I checked the readout on the TPMS as I drove a short distance. Got out the Longacre and verified pressures. WAY OFF (lower than I originally had read off previous tire gauge - now in trash).

I filled the tires to the desired pressures, and went into my TPMS menus to basically tell it to start over, as if I had new wheels/tires installed. Had to drive about 10 minutes or so to get the readings, but sure enough, they were DEAD ON to what the Longacre was registering when I filled them.

Accounting for the slight increase in temp on the tires vs when I filled them in the garage, it could not have been more than a 1lb difference b/w readout on the TPMS and what I got on the gauge.

Happy now. Back to your regularly scheduled chaos.....

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: Cold Tire pressures differences