Sponsored by:

Advice on new car for the family

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Alex, I agree with most of what you said. Cayenne, Audi and VW where exactly my choices too. Trust me I put a lot of thought into why someone would spend north of 85K on a SUV. After having the Cayenne fully equipped with performance options, PASM, AS, PDCC, PTV all I can tell you is that it handles like a 911 and there is almost no let down on the sports car feel. I asked myself this question: As someone who spends 75 % of the time driving with my family, why not get a SUV with a sports car like performance. After spending 5 weeks on my 2011 CS, I can confidentally state that I made the right choice for me but 9 out of 10 people out there it is oxymoronic. When I see people say that I just chuckle coz only I know how much fun it is the carve corners without any bodyroll sitting that high up and let me be the first to tell you that I don't drive like a maniac. I would say in the world of SUVs, for the performance, exclusivity, reliability, quality of interior fit and finish nothing comes close to the Cayenne. In fact it IS the best bang for the buck provided one has the guts to take that giant leap (I know it is hard for many for that 20K delta and I can certainly understand their perspective) and the wallet to support it. The V6 is very capable and the V8 is insanely fast and nimble. The turbo ... let's not talk about that.
I haven't been in the new Cayenne, so can't specifically comment, but I think you are absolutely stretching it, claiming "it handles like a 911"!

I am sure it handles very well for SUVs, but basically due to laws of physics, its weight, tires, weight distribution, etc... it is absolutely impossible for it to handle "like a 911". I've been in the older body Turbo, and it sure was fast as hell, but it definitely didn't handle like a sports car, not even a sports sedan!

My point is... an SUV is meant for utility, for hauling stuff around and for occasional times when one needs to get through heavy snow or gravel roads and need extra clearance. No one needs V8 Turbo for that, you need some torquie engine (if you tow) which a TDI is a perfect solution.

If one's primary concern is sporty feel, power, handling, and close to sports car performance but with more room (for family)... the only option is to get a sports sedan, being Panamera, S4, S6, M3, M5, AMG, etc...

This Top Gear clip sums it up absolutely perfectly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg1TB4dRobY
Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, the question is how often will you be ferrying multiple people around? My wife does 98% of the people moving and she likes Volvos so she drives an XC90. For the other 2%, my kids love the back of the 911 even though they're not that comfy back there (nor is the wife for that matter with the passenger seat pushed forward to make room for my daughter).

Actually, I quite like the XC90. Sure, it's not sporty but it's very comfy and it does the job very well without being overly flash. If I want to be flash and sporty, I have the 911
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Case in point... as 2nd car, and for gravel road/camping this summer, I am looking into a used Audi Allroad (no longer available in N.A). 2.7T or 4.2 engine, with adjustable height suspension... bring it down for highway, twisties, lift it up for gravel/light offroad/snow!
We bought a used Allroad Quattro 2.7T as a winter beater/teenager driver car recently. I put four new snow tires on it, and it is a beast in the mountains. They are great cars.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I was wondering when someone would suggest the A4 Avant. To me, station wagons are coming back. They always had more room than most SUVs, and handle better, use less gas, etc. Plus, I think the A4 Avant is a gorgeous looking vehicle. Haven't driven one to see how the 2.0T motor feels (the only choice), but with the new 8-speed automatic (only choice in 2011), it should do fine.
+1
Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Bad idea imho. I am a longtime Porsche fan.. but the correct "tool" for the job is a dreaded minivan. Holds all the kid crap and plenty more.. gets better mileage.. sits lower to the ground.. has power sliding doors that makes it easy for young growing kids to climb in and out of. I know, there are no style points with a minivan.. but imho, they are the only tool for a young growing family. If you need to spend lots of money, you can rachet them up to $40K+ to make you feel better.

Then, keep the 4S for weekends, and for nights out with the wife, daily driving etc. On the plus side, kids will get bigger and the crap they need can be whittled down. My two boys LOVE riding in my lowly 944 because its NOT and SUV/Minivan!

unless I've completely misunderstood and YOU expect to drive the Cayenne all the time (which doesn't make much sense unless the kids are in your car everyday). Go take the kids and try one out. Get used to the high liftover to put the kid in the carseats.. to put the stroller in the back (is it a double stroller??) then imagine fitting the costco run of crap in there.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I haven't been in the new Cayenne, so can't specifically comment, but I think you are absolutely stretching it, claiming "it handles like a 911"!

I am sure it handles very well for SUVs, but basically due to laws of physics, its weight, tires, weight distribution, etc... it is absolutely impossible for it to handle "like a 911". I've been in the older body Turbo, and it sure was fast as hell, but it definitely didn't handle like a sports car, not even a sports sedan!

My point is... an SUV is meant for utility, for hauling stuff around and for occasional times when one needs to get through heavy snow or gravel roads and need extra clearance. No one needs V8 Turbo for that, you need some torquie engine (if you tow) which a TDI is a perfect solution.

If one's primary concern is sporty feel, power, handling, and close to sports car performance but with more room (for family)... the only option is to get a sports sedan, being Panamera, S4, S6, M3, M5, AMG, etc...
Alex, next time you drive down to Seattle, I would love to have you drive my wife's Cayenne S through all the twisties that we here in the PNW are blessed with. Trust me with sport mode on PASM, lower ride height setting on the air suspension on my Cayenne equipped with PDCC and PTV you WILL absolutely agree with me ... I would hate to stretch it. It really feels like a large 911. I don't know what performance options that Turbo you drove had. If not equipped with PDCC and PTV it will give you insane acceleration (which again to me just like you say is a little too over the top) but with the new gen Cayenne and all the performance goodies it really handles like a sports car. I drove one without PDCC and PTV and the difference is night and day... period. A short test drive will only tell you that much. I have driven this 2011 CS for 1200 (all mountain pass) miles.

I love the idea of A4 avant BTW.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

How do you use the family car? are you driving it into NYC in tight traffic and parking on the street? are you going on long car trips (or do you plan to?). Do you fill it with junk to take the kids to grandma's for a few days? Do you see soccer practice 4 days a week in your future?

I think the details of how you intend to use the car will help guide you. If i was driving in city traffic, i'd want a smaller car. For taking the kids on a multiple state car trip I'd go with a sport wagon. I'd take sport wagon over SUV any day.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:33 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW - new Subaru forester can be had for $23K new in that 'next after base' trim and they made it pretty bigger. my father in law got one - for non-pretentious DD car it is not quite a bad choice - full time 4wd, so-so options and cheap. not a Q5 or Lexus, but will get same job done for half price.

Quick Reply: Advice on new car for the family