Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Switzerland. Take the Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:07 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably Novartis ?

Speed limits are strictly enforced in Switzerland, and I have a collection. Espcecially around Basel the cameras are every where.
There is a 3 month grace to have your tags changed to EU plates. I saw a red 997 touring around Lugano for a while last autumn.

I agree with shipping from a N.E. corner to Amsterdam or Antwerp. More carriers and competition will be cheaper to ship, and more fun to drive the car through Germany.
If your going to live in the German side of Basel it may be cheaper to have your car converted and drive with German tags.
I have driven nearly all mountain passes by bike or car (even P-cars) and they are a blast. Plan the trips with a stay-over and your springtime weekends are the best !

Enjoy !!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ericthepilot
Probably Novartis ?
Bingo.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Default Basilea

Originally Posted by eilig
Bingo.
Have quite a few friends working in Basel for that company. Great multinational !! Get ready to ship that Porsche around a few more times.
Get ALL maintenance (preventive and required) in the US and put new tires on. Prices are ridiculous sometimes for minor items.
And you are required Winter tires from October or so in Germany and Switzerland, so throw them in the container as well.

Basel is a great town and good foodies places. VERY international, and in the crossroads to drive to anywhere in Europe, as you like to drive !!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I was with Novartis when I was in Basel. Small world.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ericthepilot
Have quite a few friends working in Basel for that company. Great multinational !! Get ready to ship that Porsche around a few more times.
Get ALL maintenance (preventive and required) in the US and put new tires on. Prices are ridiculous sometimes for minor items.
And you are required Winter tires from October or so in Germany and Switzerland, so throw them in the container as well.

Basel is a great town and good foodies places. VERY international, and in the crossroads to drive to anywhere in Europe, as you like to drive !!
That's good advice regarding the tires. I had no idea regarding the required winter tires. Thanks!!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
I was with Novartis when I was in Basel. Small world.
How long were you with them? How would rate the experience there overall?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:08 AM
fulcrum2
Track Day

Eilig,

if your 911 is not a daily driver there is little need for winter tires. Basel does not see a lot of snow (if any) in winter so you can take the car for a drive on a nice sunny day with your summer tires on. If it is a daily driver and you want to drive up a mountain road on a day with some snow, then that is another story...
Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

How long were you with them? How would rate the experience there overall?
I was with Novartis 2001-2004. I spent a lot of time in Basel and a bit of time in New Jersey. I have nothing but happy memories except for disliking the cold in the winter. Novartis is full of good people and Basel is a great town. Quirky and in the middle of everything.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:23 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Another question: Do they use salt on the roads in Switzerland and Germany?

Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Another question: Do they use salt on the roads in Switzerland and Germany?

Thanks again!
They used to use something like that but have since changed to a more benign material. It was too hard on the bridges and roadways.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 AM
fulcrum2
Track Day

They use salt. Actually a lot...
Old 03-02-2011, 01:17 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fulcrum2
They use salt. Actually a lot...
Bummer.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:14 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Take the tires with you, if possible w rims. Prices are ridiculous and you CAN go up those mountain passes in the winter when properly equipped.
That is the best fun you will ever get out of your car. Snow, twisties and mountains. A very privileged experience and your only four rubbers away from it !!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Bummer.
Maybe not. I drove my 02 Boxster for 2 years -- mainly in the midwest -- and put over 50K miles on it in the midwest, spring, summer, fall and winter and in the winter the roads were covered with salt and grit (sand). Drove many of those miles too on roads between MO and CA where for instance in AZ around Flagstaff the local highway department not only uses salt but cinders from an extinct cinder volcano nearby.

The car suffered no harm. The underside painted surfaces have a very hard protective finish that is some form of expoxy. Feel the bottom surface of the car's painted surface with your hand or next time the car is at teh dealer for servicing and in the air take a look under the car.

The rest of the body's bottom side is protected with composite plastic body panels and the wheel wells protected similar material.

In the cold the salt is very very slow acting. And whenever I got a chance I'd visit a DIY car wash and use the rinse setting of the wand to rinse the car off, all over, including the wheels/liners, etc. Come warm weather at the end of the snow/ice season I'd give the car a very very thorough rinsing using the garden hose.

Just be sure, every time you do this, you drive the car afterwards and use the brakes enough to dry the brakes out or the rotors will rust.

Also, I kept the radiator ducts free of trash, too. And be sure you keep the car's body water drains free of trash.

Now some who live and drive in very wintery conditions over many years have found for instance the metal exhaust clamps and hangers can corrode and require replacement every so often. But beyond that...

Really, the car is tough as nails and well built to withstand the kind of use you're going to give it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Great advice. I'm definitely taking the Porsche over. And I can't take 2 cars, so it will be the daily driver. So its going to see salt for the first time. It is only a summer car for me here, but that's going to change. I agree with what you're saying, it will be fine. And at this point, I'm so excited to have it over there that I won't let the salt thing bother me. Thanks for the further insight and feedback. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Moving to Switzerland. Take the Porsche?