Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Switzerland. Take the Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its actually my wife who got the job over there. She will be joining a pharmaceutical firm based in Switzerland. So, I'm just along for the ride.

I have a business that I can run from anywhere. Would love to run it from over there. Our game plan is to give it a try for a couple of years, and see if we find ourselves wanting to return. Should be an interesting experiment.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:39 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

If you have mods that have to be made, I suggest you call Gert at Carnewal in Belgium, I believe still a RL sponsor and a great guy. You might even have the car shipped to him then pick it up and dirve it to Switzerland.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Its actually my wife who got the job over there. She will be joining a pharmaceutical firm based in Switzerland. So, I'm just along for the ride.

I have a business that I can run from anywhere. Would love to run it from over there. Our game plan is to give it a try for a couple of years, and see if we find ourselves wanting to return. Should be an interesting experiment.
Great idea! Basel is a fantastic small city... just be careful with speeding, just drive for an hr to Germany to open it up in the Autobahn!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem in switzerland are radars. "Autoroute" speed limit is 120 km/h - and is strictly enforced. Penalty is based on income in adition to fixed fine. A1 between Geneva and Lausanne has radars every 3 km (and they went through pain of installing everything from laser to radar etc.). Same for city driving. Tomtom / gps navigators with radar alerts are illigal and hence they are sold without swiss POIs (even outside of switzerland). German part is not a fun place for speeding at all. Best is to head for germany or take it easy on mountain roads. There are few well known tuners around in CH as well as few hours drive north to germany.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:36 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Wow sounds like fun except for the radar/laser gauntlet that some describe. Enjoy and send posts and pics!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 AM
fulcrum2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

i live 25mins from Basel. Here is the link to the local P-Dealer:

http://www.porsche-zentrum.com/pch-basel/

They should be able to help you with the conversion from US to CH spec. I know that you don't have to change the speedo - just setting the digital readout to km/h is OK.

One more thing about driving - In Switzerland you have to obey the speed limits at all times, otherwise your license will be gone faster then you can say "ups". However, Basel is the bordertown between Germany and Switzerland. The famous "Blackforest" or "Schwarzwald" starts right there. Driving through the hills all day long and don't focus on your speed too much - best thing in life

Hit me up when you are there then we can take our babies out for a spin...
Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 AM
flierVB
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Eilig,

I moved from Virginia Beach to Veghel, The Netherlands Europe and took my 2007 Carrera 2 with me. Headlamps is no problem if you have Xenon, Foglight in the rear lights is already equiped in a 2005 (My college took a 2005 to The Netherlands). Side marker lights can be changed from orange to clear type for about $30,-. You need reprogramming the side marker lights in side turn signals, the US radio frequencies in European Broadcasting (odd and even Freq.) and the Navigation. Thats all total costs for reprogramming and changing the side marker lights was Euro 450,- (about $ 620). Cheapest way of transport is driving up to Baltimore and ship it in a container to The Netherlands or Belgium and drive it from there. Be aware of insurance.

Alex
Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Hi Fulcrum2, I will definitely contact you once I am there! It would be fun to for a drive through the Black Forest.

FlyerVB, thanks for the info! Yes, I learned that if I drive to Baltimore and pickup in Breherhaven, I can get the shipping done for about $800. In terms of the conversion, my car already has the Xenons. And I already converted the side marker lenses from yellow to clear because I prefer the Euro look. And since mine is an '05, the fog lights are already there. So it seems I'm already halfway there! Probably the most expensive part is the marine insurance, which will end up being about $2 per thousand dollars of declared value. If I declare value at $50,000, that will be about $1,000 for the insurance. So that, plus shipping, plus the nominal amount of conversion costs should all total less than $3,000. That will work for me!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I lived in Basel for a while, and I miss it a lot. All I had there was the tram, though.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did that tram have a 6 speed or PDK?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Totally agree regarding the Swiss roads. I've been driving over there, at least annually, for the last 12 years. Usually in a Porsche that I rent from Avis. I have to say, Switzerland is my second most favorite place in the world to drive. My fav, of course, is across the border in Germany. The autobahn is bliss in a Porsche. But the great thing about the city of Basel is that it's just across the border to Germany -- and the autobahn.

Will definitely post photos!!!

Please could you provide entire process HOW-TO for renting from AVIS. Point of contact, weekly cost, mileage cost, Taxes, and best time for availability?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:06 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez
Please could you provide entire process HOW-TO for renting from AVIS. Point of contact, weekly cost, mileage cost, Taxes, and best time for availability?
A UK car mag covered this some time back. The UK writer called the AVIS phone number -- got an english speaking person -- and arranged to rent a Porsche at the Frankfurt airport Avis.

I do not remember the costs now, and I'm sure the cost has changed.

A few cautions: Besides the proper driver's license ( rented cars in Europe with my CA driver's license) you need two major credit cards. Be aware that while some CCs tout car rental insurance (AMEX (at least the 'tin' card)) I have) the fine print excludes cars costing over a certain dollar amount ($50K IIRC) and a whole list of cars is excluded by make/model and this includes Porsches. You can rent the car but the CC rental car insurance will not apply.

Inspect the car very very carefully when you pick it up. Take pics! Be sure you when you return the car you have it inspecte and get something in writing that says you returned the car with no damage. Even a few years ago when this was covered bringing back a car with even a minor dent could set you back hundreds of Euros.

IIRC in Germany if you are traveling over a certain speed even if legal (like on an unrestricted highway) if you are involved in an accident you are considered partially at fault, regardless of the circumstances.

Rental cars contracts almost always (always...) forbid the car from being taken to the 'ring or other tracks.

Best time to rent would be in the off season, but if you plan ahead you can reserve a car and have it waiting for you. But double-check that the specific car will be provided.

I've been very tempted to do this, call Avis and reserve a Porsche at the airport and fly there and pick up the car and spend a few days just driving around Germany. I took the train from Zurich up through Germany along the Rhine and I would love to drive that route in a Porsche. Heck I'd just love to motor about anywhere in Germany for a few days in a Porsche.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:41 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cvazquez
I just started a new thread on this topic. It is called "Porsche Rental in Germany," and it's here in the 997 section. Don't know how to provide a link to it, but should be easy to find. Hope the info is helpful.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Macstar and Eilig! I'm doing the P-car rental, it's just a matter of time...
Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

novartis?
roche?

i'm lucky enough to travel there a few times each year to work with both.

have a great time!

Craig

Quick Reply: Moving to Switzerland. Take the Porsche?