Sponsored by:

Need help tracking down rattles

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 AM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Need help tracking down rattles

06 997S. 23K. LOVE this car, but starting at very low speed (10-20 MPH) on anything but perfect pavement I hear a rattle. Sound disappears at higher speeds unless I hit a bump. (I know, drive faster, right?!) I emptied all storage compartment, & frunk. Sunroof and windows up or down have no impact. Seems to be coming from right (passenger) side of car. Glove compartment open and closed doesn't matter.

Taking it in Monday to dealer, but want to try to find it this weekend or give them some options since I will be paying $133 an hour to track it down. Evidently rattles aren't covered under CPO unless caused by a malfunctioning part.

Anyone have something like this fixed?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is hard to tell from just reading the post, but do try to check the sun visor and its mirror cover. It was a common source of rattling since the 996 era (and I think the 997 is still using the same sun visor and mirror cover since.)

Flip down the sun visor and flip open the mirror cover, drive around and hear if it is the source of the rattling. Sometimes those little pads around the mirror cover and the sun visor dried up, lost the buffering function bewteen the hard surfaces, hence caused rattling sound.)

Best luck troubleshooting.

Regards,

P.S. Also try to check the side vent on the dash, its metallic trim sometimes rattles as well.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

can you tell where on right side? i.e. if in cabin, dash area or footwell? or does it sound closer to outside cabin in frunk/wheel area? and from how you describe, it sounds like a constant/"vibration" rattling (as opposed to hearing a louder one when going over bumps) correct?

i've chased down "bump rattles/knocking" which were mostly loose sway bar or suspension connections. i currently have a little rattling now when i go thru parking garages (which are seamed, not the smoothest surfaces, etc) and am thinking it might be the plastic in rear of frunk/over batt tray. not really concerned about it but will eventually set aside a saturday to chase down the ridiculousness.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:31 AM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Thanks axhoaxho, good stuff, I will give those spots the once over.

SpiffyJiff, There's really two sounds-- one "plasticy" sounding, I think interior, right side, dash level. That's the one I hear in parking garages like you mentioned, and low speed. Pretty easy to get it to make that sound under 60 MPH, then tire noise drowns it.

The other I hear when I go over bumps, uneven pavement, or brick. (In Dallas we have brick sections in a lot of the intersections. So I go over brick all the time.) That sound is louder and more metallic, and harder to recreate. At first I thought it was in the center console, but now I think may be exterior, more suspension related or maybe one of the under body plastic body panels. I went over all the plastic stuff in the frunk and it seemed tight. I'm thinking of getting my wife to drive up and down the drive way so I can try to hear them from the outside.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, these unident sounds can be an annoying PITA.

tons of other posts on here will also help with other places to check, but my issue was a loose drop link/sway bar connection, front right side. and by "loose" i mean "not FRIGGIN tight", because any play or looseness whatsoever can create a sound. also check the tops of the shock towers.

hope you find it!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 PM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Just drove it at lunch. Not the visor mirror. I am now thinking right front suspension piece(s) as the rattle as over VERY minor imperfections or uneven pavement. Will post what they find Monday.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:33 PM
dhe39
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find out what the problem was? It would be interesting to know. I have a rattle from the front at low speed. Sounds like it comes from the front suspension.

C2S

Last edited by dhe39; 07-21-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:47 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a known problem with some loose plastic conduit or piping up under the right front tire well. Some discussion on 6Speed about it not long ago. Yours sounds very similar to that.
A suspension part would likely produce 'clunk' instead of a plastic-y rattle.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:18 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Seat belt? wrap a rag around the pass belt buckle. Also might want to wrap a rag around the part where it mounts up high.

Quick Reply: Need help tracking down rattles