Sponsored by:

First time post

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011 | 11:51 AM
whayes
Instructor

Default First time post

Hey folks -

I am a former BMW guy (E30 M3, E46 M3 and M5) and am seriously looking at 997S...I am prettyy active at the track (VIR/Summit) and live in Wash DC area.
I instruct for NASA, Chin and First Settlers/Riesentoter PCA. I was looking at the E92 M3's but i am pretty convinced i am coming over to the dark side. I think initially I was scared of P-car repair/maintenance costs but i am over that now. Thanks for any and all advice...

Here is one car i am looking at if anyone knows it: http://www.godspeedmotors.com/web/vehicle_photos/743093

Thanks
Webb
Old 02-16-2011 | 12:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Welcome. Seems like a decent car--depending upon what they want to extract from you for it. Lacks PSE, so the engine will sound fairly boring. There's a fix for that! Of course, in the DC area you can't get much over 45 mph anyway so maybe that's not important!
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:32 PM
Frino
Pro

Beautiful car. Any clues on the service history?

The front lip looks suspiciously unmolested ...my guess is the lip was recently replaced (which is not a big deal)...only question is whether there was any other body work done to the front of the car.

$8K price for the aerokit was jacked up at least $1,000 from OEM price.

You will love the 06 C2S on the track...have taken mine multiple times out to Summit.

Prepare to be humbled, however, as the physics, handling characteristics and driving techniques will be different from the BMW experience. Humbled but not disappointed.

Agree with Edgy on the exhaust...it you like it loud you will need to go aftermarket with a Tubi or something.

I'm in the DC area...feel free to PM me if you want to chat offline.
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:40 PM
whayes
Instructor

Thanks for the replies.

Frino - I have a call into them but havent heard back. It looks pretty decent. There is another one (no aero) at P of Arlingron that i might go drive tomorrow or Friday.

My m5 had straight pipes, my 04 M3 a larini and my 88 M3 a VAC race exhaust....i certainly plan on adding something.
Old 02-16-2011 | 03:01 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by whayes
I was looking at the E92 M3's but i am pretty convinced i am coming over to the dark side. I think initially I was scared of P-car repair/maintenance costs but i am over that now.
I don't think it's any different than BMW pricing. Both of them rape you, but you can save a lot by doing a little DIY, and the Porsche is easy to do the easy things on.

Either get a CPO or a thorough PPI. Search the forum for old threads on buying advice.
Old 02-17-2011 | 09:00 AM
whayes
Instructor

Frino - I PM'ed you. I would like to find out about your clear bra ....

webbhayes AT yahoo DOT com

Thanks

Quick Reply: First time post