Sponsored by:

Spare Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Kit

I know there was a thread about using boxsters kits for spares, but I just spotted this....

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ry_Code=997int

on the Suncoast site.

Expensive kit, but could provide peace-of-mind on road trips.

Anyone familiar with this kit? I'm thinking this should also fit into the trunk for local driving.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:11 PM
nazhat
Instructor

I have one and thinking about selling mine. Its the same kit I bought from Suncoast. Never used mine and only a few months old.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently bought essentially the same kit used on eBay for $225. Shop around, there are deals to be had out there.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:41 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
I recently bought essentially the same kit used on eBay for $225. Shop around, there are deals to be had out there.
Very hard to find the collapsible 17in spare on eBay since most american cars don't ship with them. I have been keeping an eye out for months. If you found one, you were very lucky.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Very hard to find the collapsible 17in spare on eBay since most american cars don't ship with them. I have been keeping an eye out for months. If you found one, you were very lucky.
I agree. every collapsible spare I have seen on ebay or craigslist in the past 4 months has been a 15"
Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I went and got the 996 spare. it fills my 997.1 trunk but the kit (Jack, wrenches, tire (inflated donut), and garbage bag fit in there. Nothing else much will though. Check out the 996 forum. I sourced mine from a member who parted out his extra stuff as he created a track car.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The suncoast kit has the foam cradle that sits in the back seat so you can strap the spare in a back seat spot rather than the frunk, if you are so inclined.

One could get most of the parts from other sources but for the collapsible spare tire itself, I'd want to know the history and condition of said tire before I purchased. The spares on ebay sometimes look scary with scratches, dings, rust. For me there would be some peace of mind in at least buying the wheel/tire as a 'new' item or being sure I know what its been through, since you won't likely use it until the time you really need it.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never leave home without my 996 emergency spare in the frunk.

Check out the April edition of Excellence for a couple of informative letters to the editor regarding the expected life of collapsable spares. Bottom line is that they easily last 10-20 years or more if they are kept out of the sun and away from moisture.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought the one from Suncoast and have not needed it. I know if I had not bought it, I would have needed it. So it is a good buy in that way.

You should also double check your inflator in the trunk and be sure you know how to use it, and be sure you have an extra fuse if your fuse blows while you are inflating yours in the dark. Be sure you have a key to the fuses in your fuse box because it is hopeless to figure it out otherwise. Plug it into the lighter plug in the arm rest, NOT the one in the footwell. Very important.

The more skill you have, the less gear you need. I will never have enough skill to patch a tire on the roadside with the plug set-up. I do have enough skill to change a flat to avoid a tow truck, and to change a fuse in the fuse box, and I now have the spare. Anybody can call 1-800-PORSCHE. It is just a matter of where you fit on the spectrum of skill and gear.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

I ordered a similar kit, but got the tire cover with the crossing straps in the front like the one shown for the Cayman (987-722-061-01 Tire cover (old part number 987-722-061-00)). I have it installed in the trunk.

I had a flat last month at work. I didn't use the kit but called 1-800-PORSCHE instead to let them handle it. Got the car to the nearest dealership (20 miles away), swapped the tire, and was on my way home in a few hours. The kit is my backup plan if I'm ever stuck like stevepow was in his unfortunate incident.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed.

The spares should last if treated well. My point was, if you don't actually know if it was treated well, you have a ? for the durability. Did the wheel sit in the sun/rain/warm/cold of exposed junkyard space for months on end? If it looks like it might have in an ebay picture, I assume it did.

I'd recommend, when you get the collapsible spare, inflate it with your pump at home and go through the process of mounting it (for simplicity on the back though you'd really mount in on the front and rotate a front wheel to the back if you had a rear flat)... and then stowing the take-off rear in the car to just experience all of the steps in a low-stress, save environment so you can identify issues, know what to expect and feel more comfortable when you really need it (hopefully never).

When you deflate the collapsible spare, it should return to its original, collapsed state (may take some time to get that flat).

This lets you also figure out what other odds/ends you may want to have (gloves, heavy duty bag, floor-standing flashlight, etc) for your particular needs/comfort. Pretend you are changing the rear wheel in the dark, on the traffic side of the car in the rain/snow.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Nazhat, sent you a PM

...b
Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at the Suncoast web site and noticed that the spare is apparently only for 2005-2008 cars. What changed on the 997.2 that affected the functionality of the spare?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
I looked at the Suncoast web site and noticed that the spare is apparently only for 2005-2008 cars. What changed on the 997.2 that affected the functionality of the spare?
What makes you think that is the case? If we're talking about the same web page I don't see anything that would indicate that, but maybe I'm missing something.

Suncoast Carrera Spare Tire Kit
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

It's listed under the interior accessories for the 997.2 as well

Quick Reply: Spare Kit