Sponsored by:

06 911 C4 Cab Driver's Seat Trim Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Lerpeniere
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 911 C4 Cab Driver's Seat Trim Issue

I recently purchased a 2006 911 C4 Cab with approx 16 k miles from a dealer in Atlanta. I noticed that the lower left power seat control trim on the driver's seat is not sitting flush as it should. Has this happened to any of the members here and can you tell me what steps to take to correct it? Does this mean that the panel for the seat controls has broken, or just come loose?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

I'm not seeing an issue here. Looks like simple manufacturing tolerances.

I think you may be being a bit overly critical here.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:37 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Agreed - looks loose - or it could be just wear and tear flex in the underlying structure. These seats are a bunch of parts though - so if something is defective, that one bit can be replaced, not the entire seat. I know there is at least one great service center at a dealer in ATL and I have never tried the other. Take it in and ask - couldn't hurt.

Last edited by stevepow; 02-04-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:39 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything looks fine to me.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

+1

I don't have that gap on my car. If it really bothers you, talk to the dealer. But IMHO, it's nothing to worry about. Go out and drive, enjoy your new car and you'll soon forget all about it!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Lerpeniere
AutoX

...I am all for being reasonable. However, have a look at this reference image please:

Normally the seat control panel sits flush with the edge of the bottom of the seat cushion. Compare this with the image at the top of this thread and you will see that the panel appears to have dropped down and away from the seat. The car is in storage for winter and I will have the dealer look at it when I have the vehicle serviced. I was just interested if this was a typical wear issue for these seats, or not. On BMW 7s, for example, this panel frequently cracks and breaks.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Lerpeniere
AutoX

Default Image

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...tomcropped.jpg

Originally Posted by Lerpeniere
...I am all for being reasonable. However, have a look at this reference image please:

Normally the seat control panel sits flush with the edge of the bottom of the seat cushion. Compare this with the image at the top of this thread and you will see that the panel appears to have dropped down and away from the seat. The car is in storage for winter and I will have the dealer look at it when I have the vehicle serviced. I was just interested if this was a typical wear issue for these seats, or not. On BMW 7s, for example, this panel frequently cracks and breaks.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:40 PM
keenan9
Rennlist Member

Yes, I just looked at my seat, and it looks like you have an issue. The plastic trim on my seat is flush with the leather. Have the dealer take a look at it for you.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Lerpeniere
AutoX

Thank you keenan9, and to everyone who responded to help. I appreciate it.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:44 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Methinks this needs to be a sub-thread of the "do you drive your 911 in the rain?" thread.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Lerpeniere
AutoX

Methinks a thread about a power seat control panel is right at home amongst threads about illuminated sills, installing front license plates in tow hook ports, grafting NAV from a Cayenne into a 997 etc. Remember, we're talking about a car that is frequently wrapped all over in clear film to protect the paint. Hello.

Now hopefully this won't offend the uber blase sensibilities of some of you fellas, but, yes, I actually swung the vehicle past dealer service on Friday at their suggestion, and yes, the panel is broken and has to be replaced. The seat controls flop around in the hand. They told me that they have seen this before and that it is fairly common on 2005 + 997s, apparently caused when drivers `drop' into their seats one too many times, and when passengers exiting jump seats push on the rear, connecting panels with their feet.

Winkingchef may be amused to learn that one of the C4 Cabs I was offered was owned by a very courteous and successful small businessman from CT -- who apparently never drove his car in the rain.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:34 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lerpeniere
Methinks a thread about a power seat control panel is right at home amongst threads about illuminated sills, installing front license plates in tow hook ports, grafting NAV from a Cayenne into a 997 etc. Remember, we're talking about a car that is frequently wrapped all over in clear film to protect the paint. Hello.

Now hopefully this won't offend the uber blase sensibilities of some of you fellas, but, yes, I actually swung the vehicle past dealer service on Friday at their suggestion, and yes, the panel is broken and has to be replaced. The seat controls flop around in the hand. They told me that they have seen this before and that it is fairly common on 2005 + 997s, apparently caused when drivers `drop' into their seats one too many times, and when passengers exiting jump seats push on the rear, connecting panels with their feet.

Winkingchef may be amused to learn that one of the C4 Cabs I was offered was owned by a very courteous and successful small businessman from CT -- who apparently never drove his car in the rain.
I like you.
I also like people who baby their cars - I bought mine from one.

Quick Reply: 06 911 C4 Cab Driver's Seat Trim Issue