Sponsored by:

A tribute to my 997.2 C4S.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:32 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts
Default A tribute to my 997.2 C4S.

Recently I momentarily contemplated trading in my ’09 C4S for a 2011 Carrera GTS after reading all the recent reviews on that car on every Porsche magazine. Then I turned here for advice to see if anyone here would make a compelling case for the switch. The jury unanimously rejected my idea. One of the members (Adias) even sent a detailed and very thoughtful response as a PM. I came to my senses and felt that my thinking was flawed. I made up my mind to stay put. I had spent too much time, effort and money all these 14 months of ownership devoted to TLC for my 997.2 C4S which has been my daily driver. I just could not bear to see her change hands. Recently with the Cayenne purchase and prior to that with the 3.2’s entry into the garage, I did ignore my C4S for sometime. Today when I came back from work in my 3.2 and parked it besides my 997.2, she spoke to me in several ways. She made me realize (and also made me feel really bad) that although she has been with me for the longest time compared to my 3.2 and Cayenne S, she has never been given it’s due credit or was never photographed with the enthusiasm and pride as my other two Porsches even though she was the reason I fell in love with Porsches. I told my wife and kids that I needed some one on one time with my 997.2. My wife and kids even said “really the 997 ?”. I said yes, grabbed my camera and took off for an extended drive today pushing PDK and the suspension settings to it’s limits after a nice warm up of 20 minutes. She rewarded my camera with some striking poses reiterating the fact that she was elegance personified in metal, leather and glass and simultaneously rewarded my senses with her tactility and time and again reminding me what the four-wheel-drive safety net was all about. During this process of one on one interaction I hit 10,000 miles on my C4S. What the first 9950 miles did not teach me … these last 50 miles did. IT IS ONE AMAZING CAR....ONE THAT I HOPEFULLY NEVER GIVE AWAY.

Here is the stat sheet for her first 10,000 miles.

Mods so far:

-Ventureshield paint protection film around all painted portions of the car. Reasons for this are multifold. Too many “nice” cars have been keyed at the hospital parking lot (ya they can always break the glass), incredible amount of loose gravel on the road four months a year during winter and frequent travel over mountain passes during winter time. I have been taking very good care of the film with regular washes and Metropolitan detail Benjamin (who is a highly skilled plastic “film” surgeon) who installed the film and John have their crew apply sealant free of charge every three to four months. The optical clarity is still as good as it was on day 1 of install 9000 miles ago.

-35 % tint with 3M color stable (not really a tint guy carport at work and
summers get really intense). Great job again at Metropolitan detail. I would have loved to have a 50% tint but her did not carry it at that time. I wish I had done the 50% as even the 35% IMO detracts the look to some extent.

-Clear side markers.

Oil consumption: One quart every 1400 miles.

Untoward events:

1) Windshield replaced due to a rock chip related crack.
2) A Lexus with rear parking sensors backed into my rear bumper and wheel. No body damage. Minor scratch in the rear wheel. I fought hard with that driver’s insurance and got a new replacement wheel as I was worried about clear coat wearing off with time even with a quality refinish. The bumper’s paint was re-sprayed for a dime sized area and then entire bumper refinished with clear coat.

Things that need attention (haven’t found the time to go to my dealer):

Creaking noise when going on uneven bumpy roads noted only at very slow speeds especially when temps are below 40 F.

Wind noise heard from driver side window when travelling above 75 miles/hr
not that I go that fast. Not sure if it predated the tint job.

Things I would love to change:

-Steering wheel: Not liking the thin caliber of the wheel. Would love something beefier. ? Techart or OEM sport steering wheel w/ proper paddles.

-Not really a big fan of aftermarket exhausts, or any mods for that matter but would love a little more grunt to the exhaust. ? FVD brombacher street exhaust ? Tubi.

I would appreciate your thoughts on my post, pictures (taken during this afternoon's one on one session) and suggestions on my questions.
Attached Images       
Old 02-03-2011, 12:35 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Shots of the interior
Attached Images       
Old 02-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Nicely done. How could anyone walk away from a beautiful car like that for one only 2 years newer? And so nice to see that it hit a magic mark (albeit not 00997 nor 09972).
Old 02-03-2011, 01:36 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts

Beautiful car! Nice post. I agree with you on the exhaust portion....one of the reason's why I negotiated a PSE installation on my C2S when I picked up the car. Helps alot!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:03 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

the pictures you have taken are gorgeous, what camera did you use, superb car ! glad you are keeping it !
Old 02-03-2011, 02:10 AM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this is probably not in the cards, but I bet if you took this car on a track and let it rip... you'll never neglect it or think about selling it again. There is a beast inside that car that wants to break free

I haven't had the pleasure to track a 997. But when I took my 911 on a track, something happened... it was like all of the sudden the car and I were talking to each other on a whole different level. I can only imagine what it must feel like to unleash the awesome power and grip of your car on an open track.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting. Beautiful pictures. You have a great "eye". Awesome work!

Marlon
Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Woot, you have a way with words. Your car is one of nicest C4Ss I've seen, if I may say so myself. I am too glad you're keeping it. I agree with MT86, you need to take it to a track. Just imagine a little boy, fascinated with horses. One day a horse comes his way. A horse so beautiful, so powerful, a true Stallion. The boy knows he has to ride him. Yet, it's easier said, than done. For such a horse only few can tame. And when finally they bond, that bond is forever. So go ahead, Wootster, tame away.

P.S. I've taken mine to a track 3 times after first spending two full seasons at a few different tracks with DE instructors. And I can tell you first hand, it's a must!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:11 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Oh, about your exhaust question,
I have spent considerable time researching best exhaust options for out cars. If you are willing to spend a few bucks, the best choice is PSE. The next best thing (on a Porsche sound/$ value) is a Gundo Hack with Fabspeed Bypass. Fvd would be my third choice. Tubi is great if you hate your neighbors, from what I heard. I will try to record a few sound clips for you as soon as I get a chance.

Stan
Old 02-03-2011, 06:40 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Great looking car and outstanding photo work. I also am not a real fan of aftermarket exhausts but early in its life I removed the center muffler on my '09 C2S and replaced it with the Sharkwerks by pass and have been very happy from day one and now 19,000 miles. It gives a nice sound ( ie like the Gt3) is 10 lbs lighter and adds some horsepower. Nicest thing is no drone in the cockpit at cruise. Easy install without even lifting the car.

You might also consider the paddle shift steering wheel. It is thicker than the original, puts the shift paddles out of the way yet right where you want them. Makes PDK even more fun. Added one to my '09 C2S and my Cayman after several "ops" up shifts with the palm of my hand hitting the upshift button on the front of the OEM wheel during autocross and tracking.

Last edited by f4 plt; 02-03-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

leather around the PDK Lever would compliment your interior very well.
I love the tubi and found it quieter than the FVD.
BTW are those OZ's 18s?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I am sure there will be a special 1 of a kind Porsche 911 GT4S midnight edition right around the corner anyways, better to wait for it.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

Great story and photoshoot!! How could you possibly want to part with a beauty like that?? Congrats on rediscovering the passion and the reasons that drew you to this car in the first place! After seeing the pics, it's completely understandable why you were attracted! Keep the passion alive with more one-on-one road/track time together!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Woot, you have a way with words. Your car is one of nicest C4Ss I've seen, if I may say so myself. I am too glad you're keeping it. I agree with MT86, you need to take it to a track. Just imagine a little boy, fascinated with horses. One day a horse comes his way. A horse so beautiful, so powerful, a true Stallion. The boy knows he has to ride him. Yet, it's easier said, than done. For such a horse only few can tame. And when finally they bond, that bond is forever. So go ahead, Wootster, tame away.

P.S. I've taken mine to a track 3 times after first spending two full seasons at a few different tracks with DE instructors. And I can tell you first hand, it's a must!
Well said! We got some True Porsche Poets around here.

And I love the "MT86" you came up with.

Thanks,

MT86
Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice car. I like the wheels and tint together with the silver body. Good eye.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Kuhan
Racer

My dream is that one day, I'll have a car like that...

Quick Reply: A tribute to my 997.2 C4S.