Sponsored by:

2007 911 Coupe without PASM

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:49 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevepow
If you like the car, don't worry over the wheels. I don't think you'd notice a difference between 18s and 19s on the street. I have tried both on my car and didn't. There are many more important things to worry over when looking for a used 911.

I drove BMWs for 25 yrs and the last several were M cars. They were all softer than any 911. A 328i Sedan is rough, hmm... Test drive some 911s locally to make sure that is a car you can live with before traveling about. It is no where near as practical nor as cushy as a 328i BMW.
My 328i with sport package is rough over manhole covers, speed bumps and railroad tracks. Otherwise, no problems on most roads. I just slow down when approaching them. I'm sure I would do the same with a 911.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:50 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Then just go to you local dealer and test drive a similar car to see how you like its ride. These cars are NOT meant to be comfortable. So, if you're thinking a BMW 3xx is too harsh, I'd definitely look elsewhere.
Thanks.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
The 997 Carrera mechanical suspension is tuned for 18" rims. If I had a that car I would install those rims.
Hard to believe this car was ordered with 19" wheels and no PASM. He wasted a ton of money on putting aluminum this and aluminum that throughout the inside of the car, yet something that is so important like PASM, he doesn't get. Maybe he didn't know.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hpowders
Hard to believe this car was ordered with 19" wheels and no PASM. He wasted a ton of money on putting aluminum this and aluminum that throughout the inside of the car, yet something that is so important like PASM, he doesn't get. Maybe he didn't know.
Dealers order cars like this all the time. Buyers see "wheels", they don't see PASM. I know...but being baffled by human nature doesn't change it. I suspect very few base 997s have PASM while 19 inch wheels are not uncommon at all.

My 328i with sport package is rough over manhole covers, speed bumps and railroad tracks. Otherwise, no problems on most roads. I just slow down when approaching them. I'm sure I would do the same with a 911.
Believe me, there is no similarity between the two cars - in a 911 you will feel every little imperfection in the road far beyond manhole covers, speed bumps, and RR tracks. Maybe PASM/Normal mitigates some of that compared to the "in the middle" setup of the base model. If PASM owners attest to this, then PSAM becomes more important that wheel size and an "S" model might be better to look for.

Until you go look at some cars and drive them, it is going to be very difficult to determine what is important to you and what is not - whether it be aluminum trim or PASM or wheels.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevepow
Dealers order cars like this all the time. Buyers see "wheels", they don't see PASM. I know...but being baffled by human nature doesn't change it. I suspect very few base 997s have PASM while 19 inch wheels are not uncommon at all.

Believe me, there is no similarity between the two cars - in a 911 you will feel every little imperfection in the road far beyond manhole covers, speed bumps, and RR tracks. Maybe PASM/Normal mitigates some of that compared to the "in the middle" setup of the base model. If PASM owners attest to this, then PSAM becomes more important that wheel size and an "S" model might be better to look for.

Until you go look at some cars and drive them, it is going to be very difficult to determine what is important to you and what is not - whether it be aluminum trim or PASM or wheels.
Thanks. I do think a 911 S would be better for me. I'll see what opens up.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 PM
997, esq
Racer

I really like the feel of my C2, but I agree you'd probably be better off with a C2S. It's a matter of preference --- you really need to test drive a few cars and get a feel for them.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997, esq
I really like the feel of my C2, but I agree you'd probably be better off with a C2S. It's a matter of preference --- you really need to test drive a few cars and get a feel for them.
Yes.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 997, esq
Definitely. I have the PASM in normal 99% of the time. When activated, every little corrugation in the street is jarring for my bony ***.

Quick Reply: 2007 911 Coupe without PASM