Sponsored by:

Speed yellow or Metallic black???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:02 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SY is one of those colors that you either love or hate. Might be a tough resell too due to limited buyers interested in that niche color.

Basalt Black, imo, hides the lines and curves of the 997 with its metallic hues. Both the SY and regular black really make the car pop. Given the two choices in your original post ???----I'd opt for the '06 BBlack S. $10k is easily justified with the more powerful engine and options list vs. the SY '05.

Best of luck and be sure to post pics when you pull the trigger.....
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I, personally, would not buy a SY 997. However, I do think it looks very
sharp on our cars.

I like Guards Red, obviously. It is a bright color, but not quite as in your face as SY.

Black looks good on the 997, however, my SUV's are always black and having one
full time job cleaning a car is enough.

Just my two cents--the one thing I don't like about black is the gorgeous lines
around the rear windows blend in a little too much. Especially if the windows are tinted. I like a little contrast in color to extenuate these lines.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to decide on a car color when I wanted to trade in my Silver Boxster S. I went to Speed Yellow after looking at cars coming the other way on the turnpike. It was hard to distinguish what they were when they were just dark colorerd. As we were driving we saw a Sun Yellow 911 and it was outstanding in every way. I was sold. I have been targeted and trailed by law enforcement often and I am sure the color is a bit responsible. It could be my driving as well. I used to have a Guards Red 930 Turbo, ("arrest me red") so I am used to that. Also black is really a PITA to keep clean if you are into that kind of stuff.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
SY is one of those colors that you either love or hate. Might be a tough resell too due to limited buyers interested in that niche color.

Basalt Black, imo, hides the lines and curves of the 997 with its metallic hues. Both the SY and regular black really make the car pop. Given the two choices in your original post ???----I'd opt for the '06 BBlack S. $10k is easily justified with the more powerful engine and options list vs. the SY '05.

Best of luck and be sure to post pics when you pull the trigger.....
+2
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

love speed yellow. not sure i would own it, but i do love it. And black is a hobby no doubt.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have owned both, a black 996 and a SY 997S. I loved the look of the SY car. I never got tired of it. In fact, the longer I had it, the more I liked it. I got rid of that car in order to get a turbo and was going to get it in SY as well but did Riviera blue instead. It was an easy resell, too. I still miss that car.

I don't think I will ever own another black car.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think SY could turn into a bad investment and too much of an attention grabber. Metallic Black is gorgeous, but needs to be very clean, otherwise it looks like solid Black. Your choices would be last on my list of paint colors.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
I'm not sure I agree 100% with that opinion, and I've seen several people write that here.

I have a Speed Yellow 2006 C4 cab and love it. When I was looking for mine, I absolutely did NOT want the "standard" colors silver, gray, black. I was looking for something different, and SY and Guards Red were at the top of my list.

When I found mine, it also had the seat belts, center console, and instrument dials in SY. I just knew I had to have that car. If anything, I might have paid a little MORE than I should have to get it.

So while I agree the number of buyers might be fewer for Speed Yellow, the people who really do like that color, and aren't buying for resale purposes, but are buying the car because they really like that color, might be willing to pay a little more and make up for the fewer number of buyers.

I think that a Speed Yellow 911 is far more of an "emotional" purchase than some of the other colors. And people will often pay a little more than they otherwise would for emotional purchases.

Just my .02

Speed Yellow all the way!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

My daughter picked out SY when, after 20 years of red cars my wife told me no more red. I liked it when she picked it out and I like it now but I probably wouldn't buy another SY colored car. Too many other bright colors out there. Thinking of 3AS (turquoise). If you get past the color infatuation SY has a few advantages. They include, can hardly see swirl marks, hides dirt very well, you don't have to be incredibly fastidious about waxing/polishing because it doesn't make a big, big difference in how light reflects off the flat SY paint and, my favorite, when pollen is everywhere it never shows up on a freshly cleaned (or dirty) car. The down side is that it is a total bug magnet.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
P.S. It's not true that Yellow attracts cops. Speeding does.
And we all bought 911s to drive slow?

Trust me, after 3 yellow cars I know for a fact that yellow will attract the bugs and the eyes of many (including cops). Whether or not the cops take action is another story. Having said that, I love yellow and would easily buy another one again. After my first black car I vowed never again (too much up keep), but somehow my 997 is the 4th black car I've owned.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:01 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I spend just as much time on my wheels as I do on the rest of the car. People that think Black is too much trouble on these little cars are making too much out of it - that or have really beat looking wheels.

No pollen - seems great! GA is full of pollen in the Spring. Bugs - yikes - GA is full of bugs in the Summer. Best solution is get your favorite color and only drive in the Fall - no pollen, no bugs, no rain, no snow.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOVE Speed Yellow!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does each color make you feel?

Pick the one that feels better. Don't rationalize it. A $100k car is an emotional thing, and makes no sense in any color, rationally.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

SY or regular Black
Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Y E L L O W

Quick Reply: Speed yellow or Metallic black???????