Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New Road & Track Magazine Has The "New 911" on the cover.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the back is to busy
Old 02-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

No point in commenting on these pictures, they're nothing more than an artist's guess as to what's under the camo in the spy pics we've all seen.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:59 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

The front bumper looks like the new frickin' Cayenne! And the rear looks horrible with the thin tail lights...

I really like the 997 body, and was always afraid that Porsche would screw it up in the name of change. Hope I'm wrong
Old 02-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
No point in commenting on these pictures, they're nothing more than an artist's guess as to what's under the camo in the spy pics we've all seen.
shh shh shh...stay low and dont make a sound - the lions will eventually grow weary of chasing the hopelessly elusive prey and will move on to the next meal.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

R&T mag has long ago lost any credibility with me. Every year they devote at least one cover to purely speculative artistic sketches of future cars. They never actually break any news in these articles, just speculate about as poorly as you or I could. I've lost count of how many times they've devoted the cover to "The Next Corvette!" or "The next Pony Cars!"... including once in the '90's when they speculated that the next Corvette would be mid-engined... see how that turned-out? It's just an effort to sell a few mags off the rack to unsuspecting shoppers in airports and supermarkets who see the cover and think "cool, I hadn't heard about that yet!"

Sad really. Used to be a great magazine. I've maintained my subscription only because it's so cheap (about $1.00 per issue). That's about what it's worth these days. Even the article in the current issue that describes the existing GT3 & 911 gets a number of facts wrong (e.g. they write that the main difference between the GT3's engine and the GTS's engine is intake & exhaust... which is laughable considering the two engines are completely different designs that share almost nothing in common.

Best to ignore this sort of stuff.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
Whoa...it looks even rounder like a VW Beetle.
I thought so too, kinda Audi TTish - but I don't hate it at all
Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM
TigerStadt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r2b2007
Jumped The Shark?
nuking the fridge
Old 02-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like it because it makes my 997 look dated. The only way I will like it is if it rides like a Lexus, parks itself, and can accomodate five adults. Actually, I'd be happy if they gave us a no-sunroof option.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
The only way I will like it is if it rides like a Lexus, parks itself, and can accomodate five adults.
If it does any of these things I will hate it.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I

PORSCHE...PLEASE give us a soild NO SUNROOF car for the USA! Lightweight soild roof.....no Targa transparent roof as standard..if you want to make a Tagra model, that is fine for those into that...but...PLEASE just a solid simple roof. NO SUN ROOF option PLEASE!
What he said.

Believe me when I tell you, that I would have ordered my Club Coupe sunroof delete if I could have. And as I'm not planning to sell it or buy a future 911, I guess it no longer matters. I still would like to know who the King of the World was, who decided sunroofs are all that. I've owned several sunroof cars "that came that way", and never used most of the sunroofs open, or if I did, it was once or twice max.

And I love Cabs--I drive them one way, windows and top down. A sunroof is a poor substitute, for open air driving, and I would not give two cents for a sunroof in any car. Sunroofs don't cut it.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:24 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I imagine the many US dealers are the ones that pushed for sunroofs. They used to spec almost all 911 orders that way in the 1980s and 1990s because they couldnt sell, in volume, non-sunroof cars.

To the enthusiast, a sunroof can be seen as a detriment. To a "guy off the street" buying his dream car, he thinks it should come with all the bells/whistles standard and that includes a sunroof.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Originally Posted by racer
I imagine the many US dealers are the ones that pushed for sunroofs. They used to spec almost all 911 orders that way in the 1980s and 1990s because they couldnt sell, in volume, non-sunroof cars.

To the enthusiast, a sunroof can be seen as a detriment. To a "guy off the street" buying his dream car, he thinks it should come with all the bells/whistles standard and that includes a sunroof.
Its a US crash test thing.

They would have to re-test both with and without sunroof.

As most off the street people want a sunroof, they did just one crash test for the sunroof model.

We have the US DOT to thank for this i guess
Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 PM
997, esq
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
Its a US crash test thing.

They would have to re-test both with and without sunroof.

As most off the street people want a sunroof, they did just one crash test for the sunroof model.

We have the US DOT to thank for this i guess
Yar. And, fwiw, I love sunroofs and use them all the time. There may be some performance difference but it won't be meaningful to me -- or to most of you.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:54 PM
racer
Drifting

yes crash standards are certainly an issue.. but if from Porsche side, 90+ percent want/expect a sunroof, why spend another 500K wrecking for certification, another 10 samples without a sunroof to offer it?

I actually prefer a tilt sunroof for ventilation more than a sliding one that creates annoying buffeting.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Originally Posted by racer
yes crash standards are certainly an issue.. but if from Porsche side, 90+ percent want/expect a sunroof, why spend another 500K wrecking for certification, another 10 samples without a sunroof to offer it?
Exactly, Porsche are not singleing out the US for unfair sunroof treatment.
Its the same reason the XJ220 and the 959 never came over.

Quick Reply: My New Road & Track Magazine Has The "New 911" on the cover.