Sponsored by:

Air fliter change problem..Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:16 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air fliter change problem..Help

I decided to change the filters in my 997.2 S. I unscrewed the top of the air filter box and when I tried to remove it I discovered that a valve of some sort is mounted on the side of the box cover that was preventing me from removing the cover. It was attached to the cover via a thin piece of plastic that is actually part of the cover. While I was trying to get the valve off the box cover the plastic mounting flange broke.

Anyone dealt with this issue? Do I need to buy a new cover? Can I drive the car with the valve in question not attached to the cover? It seems that the reason for it being attached is just to keep it stable.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:59 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 455 Posts

Believe the sensor you mention is an O2 sensor. Is it on the right side of the car/filter box? You just disconnect it by sliding it out of ths attachment slot and then the top of the airbox comes off easily after removing 8 torx screws. See my post on my post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...er-change.html

Oh you broke it? Hmm as long as its stable and connected; it should be fine. I'd use some industrial strength zip ties to reattach it to the airbox assembly unless you need to buy a new airbox assembly from Porsche. Good luck
Old 01-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

What I have done in the past is to use a nut driver and actually remove the rubber boot from the intake plenum and one other location (as well as the outtake of the filter assembly). Once that is off you can maneuver the airfilter box assembly in any way needed to access the Torx screws and then replace the filter. THEN, put in back in position and replace the rubber boot.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:45 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I have to buy a complete air box, just because this thin plastic flange on the side of the air box cover broke. They don't sell just the cover separately. I got a price from Suncoast for the whole box and it comes with filters $429. My car is a 2009 CS. Any thoughts?
Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

I'd fix it ... its not "mission critical" but ... its broken!

Quick Reply: Air fliter change problem..Help