First test drive tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 02:31 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pengoe
Hi;

Finally starting the process with some test drives scheduled for tomorrow (it better not snow !). Hoping to take a C, CS, C4S, and GTS out tomorrow. Based on the near obsessive reading I've been doing, I'm thinking that the C4S or the GTS will be the one I end up with. The car is going to be used as a second car, mostly for weekend and fun (2 kids for the backseats, so no GT3). I've searched a bit, but if anyone has any additional advice or recommendations to give, please let me know. I'm also wondering what kind of discounts I can expect off of MSRP.

Thanks !
porsche dealers rarely allow to do any test drives without a fight, and to test drive 4 cars one after another - good luck with that.
i think you will like gts if you do intend to buy one.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:18 PM
beowulf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I predict you will walk out with a shiny new GTS!

Can't do better than a X-51, Widebody carrera.....

"those hips don't lie." lol
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2011, 05:41 PM
pengoe
Intermediate

Well, that didn't go as planned.

I had my frown on, test drove a CS cab. Great car, was very happy. Test drove a similarly equipped C4S coupe and lost the ability to frown. Was going to take a GTS out, but it's RWD, and I really liked the way the C4S handled corners (could be partially in my head, but there was some snow here and there, and the ground was mostly wet (I'm in the northeast)). The C4S had me.

So... I put a deposit on a C4S, and got a March allocation, which is just in time for when I wanted it. The three weeks of obsessing over option configurations nearly paid off, although I have a few days until we're in production lock I think. There wasn't much wiggle room on price as it was a custom build and not off the floor, but I am exceedingly happy now.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent!
Congratulations.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you're completely new to a 911, then you will probably like the C4 better--more sure footed in the wet stuff. (But, in time, you will come over to the 2-WD side!)
Old 01-29-2011, 08:43 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ totally agree with Dan above.

I was new to the 911 in 2009 and bought a new C4S - love it, great DD, loaded with options, luxurious - great in the wet. As I became more comfortable with the car itself and did track events, the RWD won me over, no question. I now have a GT3 as well! If someone would make me choose one right now it would be the RWD. When the GTS was first introduced I thought it was the dumbest thing ever. I was wrong. If I was in the market for a naturally aspirated P-car now and I did't want a GT3, the GTS would be my choice. That's my opinion only. Great choice on the C4S. I've had mine for 2 years now and have had no issues - the wide body look with the reflector in the back is stunning. Short of a 911 turbo, I think it is the best daily driver 911.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:45 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pengoe
Well, that didn't go as planned.

I had my frown on, test drove a CS cab. Great car, was very happy. Test drove a similarly equipped C4S coupe and lost the ability to frown. Was going to take a GTS out, but it's RWD, and I really liked the way the C4S handled corners (could be partially in my head, but there was some snow here and there, and the ground was mostly wet (I'm in the northeast)). The C4S had me.

So... I put a deposit on a C4S, and got a March allocation, which is just in time for when I wanted it. The three weeks of obsessing over option configurations nearly paid off, although I have a few days until we're in production lock I think. There wasn't much wiggle room on price as it was a custom build and not off the floor, but I am exceedingly happy now.
Exactly what happened to me. So what did you end up ordering? Spare no details.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 PM
pengoe
Intermediate

Default Specifically...

Hi
For those of you who want the details, the C4S was optioned as followed:

Meteor Grey Metallic
Black leather
Adaptive sport seats
PDK
Automatically dimming interior
Heated front seats
Dynamic cornering light
Sport Chrono Package Plus
Extended Navigation Mod-PCM 3.0
Park assist Rear
PASM SportsSuspension (- 20MM)
PDK 3-Spoke Sport Steeringwheel with Shift paddles
Guards red seat belts
Red stitching

So I have about 3 months of obsessing to do, which I'm looking forward to.

Any other advice ? Should I join PCA or any other groups ?

(btw, I'm really glad I found this forum - everyone has been very helpful, thank you all)
Old 01-29-2011, 11:49 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Definitely join PCA. Not just for the discounts on parts/service, but for the events and people you meet.

Quick Reply: First test drive tomorrow