Sponsored by:

what would you do

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:43 PM
pabafree95
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I highly recommend doing a proper engine break in per Porsche's owner's manual, and at the 1,000 mile mark, do an oil and filter change.
Ok - i've heard various things. the dealer said change at 12k; but people i;ve spoken with advised changing earlier. can you tell me the rationale at least on a theoretical basis? btw, that's a sweet ride; 993 yes?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pabafree95
Ok - i've heard various things. the dealer said change at 12k; but people i;ve spoken with advised changing earlier. can you tell me the rationale at least on a theoretical basis? btw, that's a sweet ride; 993 yes?
Thanks, Pabafree, yes, she's a 1997 993 Twin Turbo. Very sweet, indeed.

Every new car I've ever owner owned, always received an early oil change at about the 1,000 mile mark. Cheap insurance. I also do used oil analysis (UAO's) with Blackstone Labs, and my decisions are supported by the lab report and numbers. It works for me, and I sleep well at night.

No way in hell, would I wait the 12,000 miles as your dealer suggests! I change oil every 5,000 miles, or yearly, prior to winter hibernation.

There are some very good threads & post regarding the "early oil change" on Rennlist. Search a few out and enjoy the reading.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:01 AM
pabafree95
Advanced

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Thanks, Pabafree, yes, she's a 1997 993 Twin Turbo. Very sweet, indeed.

Every new car I've ever owner owned, always received an early oil change at about the 1,000 mile mark. Cheap insurance. I also do used oil analysis (UAO's) with Blackstone Labs, and my decisions are supported by the lab report and numbers. It works for me, and I sleep well at night.

No way in hell, would I wait the 12,000 miles as your dealer suggests! I change oil every 5,000 miles, or yearly, prior to winter hibernation.

There are some very good threads & post regarding the "early oil change" on Rennlist. Search a few out and enjoy the reading.
I figured TT but didnt want to assume. Amazing car, my favorite of all time seriously. When I purchased my car, I considered 993TT, talk about value-retention, wow, these are going in the mid60's to 70's. For my 1st P-car, I wanted to secure a CPO. These forums are great, thanks for your advice. Will follow. What s your DD?
Old 01-29-2011, 10:16 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

For my 1st P-car, I wanted to secure a CPO. These forums are great, thanks for your advice. Will follow. What s your DD?
Smart to have the CPO. You should do UOA's too. Only costs about $25. Especially if you own vs. lease.

My DD is a 2007 Eddie Bauer Explorer with 117K. Planning to get the new 2011 Explorer within the next couple months. The Turbo and Boxster S only come out on sunny weekend days. But, they each see about 7,0000 miles from April-October.

Last year was the first year with my Turbo. Drove her 15,000 miles in 12 months and did 3 oil changes.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:45 PM
pabafree95
Advanced

Nice - hey, you're a driver. It's great to actually use these machines....did you get the 993 from dealer or private? Presume you did PPI, yes?with comp& leak down? btw, went to the DC autoshow and the 11 explorer is very nice in/out, good luck
Old 01-30-2011, 11:38 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Nice - hey, you're a driver. It's great to actually use these machines....did you get the 993 from dealer or private? Presume you did PPI, yes?with comp& leak down? btw, went to the DC autoshow and the 11 explorer is very nice in/out, good luck
I bought my 993TT from the GREATEST PLACE ON EARTH!!!! I bought from a Rennlister, Thomas (aka md11plt). RIP, Tom. A few months after I purchased from Tom, he lost his battle with cancer at a very young age. The only reason he was selling, was to make things a little easier for his wife after his passing. He did not want to sell, but he knew he was dying, and the Turbo was going to a good home. Funny thing was, Tom was selecting his "buyer" as much as I was selecting the "seller" and car. Win-win. I am very greatful and privledged.

Yes, full PPI, comp. & leakdown. Fully documented for the past 13+ years.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:56 PM
henrysko
Instructor

^

Wow! Great story and thanks for sharing!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't think you're entitled to something unless you have proof of more serious issues or want to sue for fraud (absent real damages, that won't get you much), but you're right to be concerned.

I never have purchased a CPO Porsche but I did buy a CPO Lexus. I am convinced that Lexus dealer never replaced items the CPO inspection would indicate should be replaced before sale. Example, the battery died in less than a month--should have been load tested and replaced under Lexus' CPO inspection. Did they do that? Obviously they didn't replace the battery. Doubt they tested it.

Then, I had moisture in a tailight lens. Lexus said not a CPO item, and I dug further. Turns out the taillight lens was noted on the CPO inspection and marked as "replace", but the used car department told the service department not to replace it. What does that tell you? CPO is only as good as the dealer doing the inspection and actually replacing items vs. waiting for the buyer to complain.

I am not a big fan of CPO warranties other than for some piece of mind for a major repair like a blown engine. Buyer beware--visually inspect everything you can. Do not assume the dealer will actually do what a CPO warranty inspection is supposed to do. They may do nothing other than wash the car, perhaps do routine maintenance, plop a CPO sign on it, and jack up the price accordingly.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:18 AM
pabafree95
Advanced

No HTwo O
What a story. I am glad you are enjoying it.

Paul - you're probably right. There were no damages per se, but just immense frustration and loss of confidence. I suppose if the management and service did not turn over as it did, I would be more aggressive with pursuing something, but at this point I will just enjoy the machine.....thanks for your input and for sure, I've learned CPO doesnt mean jack! always get PPI.

Quick Reply: what would you do