Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blecch Edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:25 PM
nazhat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...I am sure Porsche has to get rid of some excess 997 parts....before the 991 is out. Makes sense to me but still crazy for all 997.1 and .2's out there.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack667
Personally, I don't get what the big deal is. The model count is way overblown, IMHO. I did an example before for other makes/models that can be just as bad, but everybody always points to the 911. I'm not going to do the full analysis this time, but compare the 911 to a BMW 3-series or a GMC Tahoe/Chevy Suburban and see what you end up with. For the Suburban, at least when I bought mine, there was an LS, LT, X71, etc. Not so bad, but figure there is one of those *each* for the 2WD and the 4WD. AND the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. AND for the regular and extended version (Tahoe and Tahoe XL). Don't forget about engines. There were 3 choices when I bought mine.
When you add it up, it very close to the 911 (Coupe, Cab, 2wd, 4wd, Turbo, 3.6 vs 3.8, etc), or the Tahoe may have more.
Get over it, I say!
+1 on that.

I like it, more or less, and the pricing is great for anyone looking for a Black car like that. It's a little cheesy, but what's the big deal?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll keep my money until a lightly used GTS becomes available....
Old 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by nazhat
...I am sure Porsche has to get rid of some excess 997 parts....before the 991 is out. Makes sense to me but still crazy for all 997.1 and .2's out there.
In reality, since Porsche produces these cars IAW JIT rules of manufacturing, they are not inundated with excess parts. They will have just enough to finish off their planned production run.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 PM
beowulf
Instructor

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
it's embarrassing, too many variants

3.6L? boo...

but I like the wheels
What IS embarrassing is the sub-boxster and
sub-Cayenne. The base Boxster is already gutless.....

No doubt Porsche will lose some luster. Producing a few 918's isn't going to help.
Hopefully they will make something new to add to the 911 line which is
growing long in the tooth. Virtually all 911 possible iterations are now developed though there may be one or two surprises left.............
Old 01-28-2011, 09:34 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't see the huge deal here. Its just a package that is being offered, I doubt it will pop up as a sought after edition, but its a nice package deal on a great car. The 3.6L DFI is a great engine with respectable performance, its more than enough for alot of us.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:44 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
I really don't see the huge deal here. Its just a package that is being offered, I doubt it will pop up as a sought after edition, but its a nice package deal on a great car. The 3.6L DFI is a great engine with respectable performance, its more than enough for alot of us.
Thank you - one of the few voices of reason. These cars are not underpowered by a long shot.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

But there is more, Boxter version:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/02/2...er-bump-sinis/
Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevepow
Thank you - one of the few voices of reason. These cars are not underpowered by a long shot.
+1

This has 345HP... pretty respectable really

To put in perspective
My first 996 had 300HP.... later 996's had 326HP
and the Mk1 GT3 had only 355HP !!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 PM
nazhat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
In reality, since Porsche produces these cars IAW JIT rules of manufacturing, they are not inundated with excess parts. They will have just enough to finish off their planned production run.
JIT RULES, KANBAN, whatever, they have excess parts and you know it....
Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the Black Edition they are up to 22 911 models. Yes this one is pretty ridiculous as are all of Porsche's design models. Yes, they are getting model heavy but there are a couple gems. The GTS was a good move for anyone wanted a better Carrera S but not ready to step up to a GT3. Why not just make next year's S they GTS (ala 89' 944 Turbo S > 90' Turbo). I can pick on the Cayman R as it is really pointless while the Boxster Spyder is really the gem of the 987. The Boxster Spyder is a true driver's car with the right equipment (220 lb weight reduction, sports suspension, sport buckets and LSD). It has some unique styling and a bigger boot. I look at the Cayman R and feel cheated as it is just not as good. The Cayman R is over 100 lbs heavier and despite the HP bump, not even as fast. I simply don't get this one. The real turd of the line is Speedster. Take a GTS cab, change the rear bumper, the wheels, a shorter windshield and charge $90k (80%) more. So what if they are limiting the production numbers. Think about it. They aren't going to sell a lot of $120-140k GTS cabs so the production will be low. How then do you justify so much more for the Speedster? Well you don't. That is why any sucker who drives a Speedster off a lot is going to see a $30K+ drop in value by the first turn. Come on Porsche, get real.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dumb and dumber ... the sequel, "from the ridiculous to the ridiculouser"

Boxster S Blecch Edition

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110209965

Note that the Carrera Blecch Edition is based on the base model Carrera, but the Boxster S Blecch is on based on the top shelf model ... makes perfect sense ...

And for the asking price of $67K in the US market, you're within range of a 997.1 GT3 ...
Old 02-04-2011, 08:07 PM
beowulf
Instructor

I ultimately don't care if they produce more variants of actual sports cars. So what if they paint a
Boxster or Carrera black and add some black bits. The more significant issue is diluting the brand with non-sporting vehicles. They Cayenne is an embarrassment and a sub-Cayenne is simply marketing lunacy. I also question the need for a sub-Boxster to compete with ...... an MX5 or VW GTI.

Ferrari's station wagon is at least a bit more "dignified" than a hulking SUV. But I think they've lost it too.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by beowulf
They Cayenne is an embarrassment.......
Aside from the fact that it has almost single-handedly allowed Porsche to remain in business and be profitable and is extremely entertaining to drive, I get your point. Well maybe not. This issue has been hashed and re-hashed so I'll just add that I see opinions like the one above as confusing reality and idealism. Spoken as someone who's owned Porsches for over 25 years and is eagerly awaiting my on-order 2011 Cayenne S to partner with the 997.2 S already in my garage.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't quite get the issue here.. I guess I'm not that concerned with the specific badge that gets attached. They are all 911's (or 997's if you want)... whether its a targa, carerra, cabrio, gts, gt2, gt3, its the same basic care with variations in the equipment, just as 'with leather' or 'without leather', just as red vs grey, with hard top or soft top.

The company's job is to make money for its shareholders/owners, and stay in business, not protect the resale value of product owners. If the buying public in the US buys more cars because of this strategy, they would be stupid not to use it. It must work, right? Since we are all concerned about the 'edition' of the car. Eddie Bauer edition? Who cares... well some folks do otherwise why would there be SUVs advertised as such.

For me Porsche makes 6 vehicle editions: The Cayenne SUV, the Panamera sedan, the 911 Carrera sports car, the Boxster sports car, and the Cayman sports car, and the Carerra GT sports car (which is truly different enough form the 911s in my mind). Race cars don't count. All the subvariants and marketing jingle on those core 6 don't count.

Quick Reply: Blecch Edition