Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with PCM 3.0 Voice Control - Does it work well?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Experience with PCM 3.0 Voice Control - Does it work well?

Hi All --

Am using my 2010 C2S as a daily driver, about a 30 minute commute, which does include sometimes starting or finishing the day on a phone call, and definitely includes listening to music or a podcast. I got really used to the wheel-mounted controls for phone and stereo on my 2003 BMW, and was thinking about adding the MF wheel with either the Suncoast discount or the new 20% off coupon. I really don't like taking hands off the wheel to change volume or initiate or hang up calls.

While I'm at it, am thinking about the PCM 3.0 Voice Control. Does anyone have experience with it? Is it a reliable input method for the PCM? I speak with a fairly neutral American English accent, despite being raised in The Bronx.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:28 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Multifunction wheel is nice and I would not want to go without it.

Voice control works, but I don't find it handy and it is no where near what was in my e60 '07 550i. The main thing that I miss from the BMW is that almost any reasonable command would work - even without knowing the commands, I could guess and it would 9/10 work.

With the 997.2, only the commands displayed on the Menu work - so imagine it is just like using the selection ****/button, but instead of pressing the selection, you say it - and for some deeper menus, it will not work - especially on the option pages. I find the PCM layout easy enough to deal with as it is and rarely use the voice control. For dialing phonebook numbers, it is OK - if that is your main usage, you may like it.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:18 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I use it mostly for switching audio sources and FM and XM stations.
My most used command sequences:

Source Sat
Source Disc
Source FM
Source USB
Station Hair Nation
Station Boneyard
Station Eighties on Eight
Station Jack

Quick Reply: Experience with PCM 3.0 Voice Control - Does it work well?