Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Don't High End Manufacturers Make Minivans?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:33 PM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Minivans are very functional...and sometimes the performance is pretty surprising...however, they seem to attract the dumbest drivers in the world. I feel like there is some minivan virus that is going around like a pandemic that has caused anyone driving one to lose 50 IQ points, go deaf and become partially blind. I am not kidding, I can almost predict the next stupid move they will make every time I see one...because it will always be the dumbest thing they could do at that moment.

When I drove one for work - it was amazing how much equipment we could cram in one and the V6 had good power...but the friggin' drivers-----argh! I start using the buttons in the car to shoot my james bond missiles at them.
Ha. My wife LOL'd as I read your post to her. What you observe is distracted driving. We have a Mazda 5 and it's a challenge to stay between the lines with all the spilling, throwing, and general mayhem in the back 2 rows. The Mazda5 won it's class in One Lap of America. Three abreast in a lowered A6 wagon was more fun as long as the kids were occupied. Inevitably though the boys would start mixing it up even with their little sister in the middle. You got to keep them
separated. My ideal family car would be a modestly stretched AWD sports sedan. Club seating in back. Height adjustable suspension. Sound proof privacy screen behind front row. Durable upholstery in rear to be cleaned with a hose.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:51 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The closest thing to a minivan I'd consider is the hypothetical Porsche Cajun to be based on the Q5.

Minivans are kinda disappearing anyway due to the increase popularity of "crossovers", no?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:19 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

I never had a family because I refuse to drive a minivan. Now, I find myself old and alone-just my 911, 328i and me.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:36 PM
duke92
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In everything, I believe you need the right tool for the job. Boring commute to work--911. Track day, 911. Camping trip with my son--SUV. But hands down, take my family of 5 on a trip longer than 3 hours and I will take our Honda Odyssey every time. Anyone with kids who disagrees has never tried one. Widescreen TV, DVD, A/C outlet to charge their gameboys, Input for game console, XM radio in the front for adults, heated seats, leather captains chairs, and the ability to pack enough luggage for a week.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 PM
sfrank
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duke can't totally disagree but after your 3rd mini van you may change your mind. After my 3rd I went the Escalade route: AWD, heated AND air conditioned seats up front, heated seats in the back, Voice activated, 6 disc DVD changer, game boy, 400 HP, power everything, (Except the rear seats, not sure why they stopped there). Room for 7 plus hockey and soccer gear! Plus I think it kinda looks cool next to the 911!

Notice I didn't mention anything about gas milage though!
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

MB or Lexus may be able to pull off a minivan, not BMW or Porsche. By the time a family is picking a minivan, they either have a limited budget and have to choose one very practical car or have figured out that each car can have it's special purpose. So I can see why a luxury minivan can be a tough sell. Anyone that's really image conscientious will insist on a luxury brand but will never drive a minivan.

Our first family car was a GL450. Cool but the kids always went nuts in minivans we rented on vacation. The ability to walk from the second to third row and not worrying about big heavy doors slamming shut are key factors. Now we have a loaded VW Routan. Plus driving a car you don't care about is a luxury in itself.

Last edited by daddyscar; 08-31-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Default R63 AMG...when you needed your minivan...to..ahhh..

and MB actually sold a few...

and nooo this is not a photoshop

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Why Don't High End Manufacturers Make Minivans?