Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Don't High End Manufacturers Make Minivans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:09 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

We replaced our Cayenne S with a VW Multivan 174HP High Line and it has been the most practical family car that I ever owned.
+1 on the electric sliding doors !

Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
Exactly. It's not really that hard to understand why the premium Euro-brands don't participate in the minivan segment. As with the other segments, a comparably equipped version from a premium brand will cost way more than the Japanese or domestic model, which effectively defeats the purpose. The OP (obviously with no kids) must understand the rationale behind the purchase of a minivan -- the buyers aren't after brand cachet, high performance, superb driving dynamics, state-of-the-art technology, or the best cow hides money can buy. Their primary objectives are practicality, efficiency, low maintenance, and reliability. The high-end brands simply can't provide all of these at a competitive price point, or find enough buyers willing to pay much more for everything that comes with a high-end brand.

We've owned an Odyssey for six years now, and it's the best travel vehicle IMO. It may not be all that exciting to look at or drive, but nothing beats the versatilty and practicality of a minivan for a family of five.
Actually, if you look at the latest Odyssey or Sienna, the highest end models have as much technology as any luxury car. Radar cruise, blind spot sonar, front and rear park assist, sat weather and traffic, power everything, including the third row seats, HID, rain sensing wipers, power retracting mirrors (wish my 911s had that), heck Honda even has HDMI video inputs now. This is just to name a few. So if you want luxury, you get the features you want but just not the badge. Of course they top out at $45K so you pay for it too.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because then you'd have an Aston Martin minivan stuck in the left lane with the cruise control on going 5 under, while the driver was scolding her kids, eating a chicken leg, and texting (all at the same time), oblivious to what's going on behind her (or him).

I'm pretty sure a Dodge Caravan is all that crowd needs...
Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Actually, if you look at the latest Odyssey or Sienna, the highest end models have as much technology as any luxury car. Radar cruise, blind spot sonar, front and rear park assist, sat weather and traffic, power everything, including the third row seats, HID, rain sensing wipers, power retracting mirrors (wish my 911s had that), heck Honda even has HDMI video inputs now. This is just to name a few. So if you want luxury, you get the features you want but just not the badge. Of course they top out at $45K so you pay for it too.
honestly i think it is plain crazy to pay $45K for an odyssey as I bought my 997 for less.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NC 997
Because then you'd have an Aston Martin minivan stuck in the left lane with the cruise control on going 5 under, while the driver was scolding her kids, eating a chicken leg, and texting (all at the same time), oblivious to what's going on behind her (or him).

I'm pretty sure a Dodge Caravan is all that crowd needs...
i drove my sister`s in law odyssey once to-from airport, folks, beware of this sh$t - they are not oblivious drivers, there is simply no visibility there. that van requires proper track-sized side mirrors but those it has do not have any appropriate coverage, you just do not see anything on your sides.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Gert
We replaced our Cayenne S with a VW Multivan 174HP High Line and it has been the most practical family car that I ever owned.
+1 on the electric sliding doors !

Unfortunately, the Multivan is no longer available in the US.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like the vw van that all the hippies drove in the 70s. Its kinda kewl.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
stay w/ me here-

VW offers the Routan Minivan.
Porsche is now part of the VWG.
I'm with ya! What VW did before it acquired Porsche is irrelevant here. IMO, you will never see a Minivan w/ a Porsche badge on it or any other high end marque.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Why doesn't Porsche make toaster ovens?

That's the question that's always on my mind!

Or at the minimum, why not give a toaster oven with every new vehicle purchase?

Phil
Actually, they do... It is called the TT911P2 (get it? "TT" "911" "P2" for 2 slices)

"The long-slot Porsche design toaster, offers a moveable set of quartz heating elements to ensure a uniform degree of browning, even with bread slices of varying thickness. The last browning choice is saved and displayed for future use. If you change your mind mid-toasting, the stop button allows you to interrupt and re-set the toaster. "

Professional Review:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/11/s...orsche-design/

Where to buy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Siemens-Pors...d_sim_sbs_kh_1

Apparently folks are complaining about some type of IMS failure.

From a random forum:
"my siemens porsche design 2 slice toaster won't stay down. Heat bars still work, power is on and there is time on the clock? any ideas?"

FM

Last edited by 911FM; 01-20-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a great option for high-end, high performance mini-van...a VW Van with the GT3 motor!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Ferdie
Advanced

It actually is using a 993 TT, not the GT3 engine. I´d say this one is even more appropriate:

To the original question, most Mimivans are indeed priced very competitively, the VW Routan is only sold in North America. The 7-seater X5 or Mercedes R-class are premium models that do not directly compete with those lesser models, hence can provide prestige and pricepoint that the regular Minivan cannot offer.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 AM
mousecrab
Instructor

I believe there was once a F1 pace minivan driven by Alain Prost back in the late 80's or early 90's.
Still remember telling my mom if she wants a minivan that's the one!!!

Think this is it.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/renault...1-ar34982.html

Bet you it is faster than a GT3!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:22 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

mercedes does make a minivan, but not sold in US....it was booked as my transportation when I was in Shanghai...it was actually very nice...and it was a stick!!!!

http://www.mercedes-benz.com.cn/cont...skipintro.html
Old 08-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Many years ago Porsche AG took the VW Vanagon and put a 3.2 liter Carrera engine in it and used it to run around Germany for short business trips. I think they made several of them. I would like to put a small Boxster engine in mine.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:47 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Last time I was in Chicago for a meeting we were given a Chrysler Town and Country minivan. I was chosen to be the driver for dinner and was in for a surprise when merging on to the highway. Now don't get me wrong I know rental cars generally have the most underpowered and economical engines, but this thing was on another level. It was easily the slowest vehicle I have ever driven in terms of acceleration.

It was slow enough to the point of (I felt) being dangerous. It's no wonder a lot of these seem to be a nuisance on the road. I know the engines on paper may appear to have power but I guess the weight of these things doesn't help them at all.

From what I've read the Japanese brands seem to have a little more oomph but this thing was bad!!!

Quick Reply: Why Don't High End Manufacturers Make Minivans?