Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Don't High End Manufacturers Make Minivans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:54 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Seinfeld had a minivan because he is a doofass!!!!! If you didn't know who he was, he would look just perfect behind the wheel. Just because he is funny and loves Porsches, doesn't make him cool. High end companies would never want to be associated w/ a minivan.
stay w/ me here-

VW offers the Routan Minivan.
Porsche is now part of the VWG.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:56 AM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mercedes has a mini van in Europe but for some reason they do not export it to North America.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:02 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Some Porsche marketing guy is reading this post...and seeing dollar signs.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
Mercedes has a mini van in Europe but for some reason they do not export it to North America.
I have driven the MB Vito in Germa ny on vacation once. It has FWD. It is very spacious but the styling would not fly in the US. Mine had a 5 peed manual with a turbo Diesel. I averaged about 32mpg hauling 6 people and their luggage for 10 days.

Actually, the VW Transporter is by far the most successful minivan. They are EVERYWHERE in the world. There are luxury models available and are perfect for Europe. They have a small footprint, carry a lot, can cruise at 100-125 mph and get great mileage if you have a TDI. Again, difficult to sell in the US but they do handle better than the Honda or Toyota. The Transporter would be my choice if forced to buy a minivan.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
I will simply start by saying I do not like minivans and would never own one.

However, after the Seinfeld post where one member wrote that Porsche enthusiast Jerry Seinfeld supposedly owned a Honda Odyssey to transport his kids, I began wondering why high end manufacturers don't build minivans.

Why doesn't Range Rover, Bentley, Mercedes, Aston Martin, or the like offer a vehicle suited to hauling around youngsters while they watch cartoons on the headrests?
because families with 3+ kids do not buy expensive automobiles in quantities that would generate enough profit. minivan by definition was supposed to be a cheap wardrobe on wheels, it is just a typical abomination what happens these days with honda odissey price point.

and expensive alternatives to minivans do exist of course - lexus GX, LX and similar huge SUVs.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
What's the point for MB or BMW to make a minivan? Minvans are practical, low-cost, people movers, not the territory of those brands.
Exactly. It's not really that hard to understand why the premium Euro-brands don't participate in the minivan segment. As with the other segments, a comparably equipped version from a premium brand will cost way more than the Japanese or domestic model, which effectively defeats the purpose. The OP (obviously with no kids) must understand the rationale behind the purchase of a minivan -- the buyers aren't after brand cachet, high performance, superb driving dynamics, state-of-the-art technology, or the best cow hides money can buy. Their primary objectives are practicality, efficiency, low maintenance, and reliability. The high-end brands simply can't provide all of these at a competitive price point, or find enough buyers willing to pay much more for everything that comes with a high-end brand.

We've owned an Odyssey for six years now, and it's the best travel vehicle IMO. It may not be all that exciting to look at or drive, but nothing beats the versatilty and practicality of a minivan for a family of five.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:56 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Why doesn't Porsche make toaster ovens?

That's the question that's always on my mind!

Or at the minimum, why not give a toaster oven with every new vehicle purchase?

Phil
Old 01-19-2011, 01:49 PM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine this: take a sedan or wagon. Audi A7 for example. Stretch it a few feet. Add a rear facing row behind the front row. Permit storage in the A frame between the first and second rows. Long gull wing doors for ease of entry and fewer dings. Limo conversions aren't cheap but a factory run would be more reasonable.

As it is I've got 3 kids sitting abreast in the back of an A6 avant. Nice handling with Eibach springs. Audi and Volvo have discontinued 3rd row wagons. Next family hauler might be a Ford CMax, Mazda5, R350, or E350 wagon. With my kids I'd rather have a diamond plate interior in the back rather than wood inlays.

I'd consider

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11012082...r-the-toughest

But the height:width ratio is unfavorable and it's not available here.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:10 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Why doesn't Porsche make toaster ovens?

That's the question that's always on my mind!

Or at the minimum, why not give a toaster oven with every new vehicle purchase?

Phil

Man i hope they would. I would option mine w/ some carbon fiber.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:21 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If Lexus took the Sienna and made it a Lexus F/awd hybrid using the new 187HP I4 w/DFI I would be fiirst in line. Or maybe even if Toyota....
Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friend of a friend had twins after another older child and decided on a minivan. The license plate read "Party's ovr".
Old 01-19-2011, 04:27 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Originally Posted by kosmo
stay w/ me here-

VW offers the Routan Minivan.
Porsche is now part of the VWG.
It gets even better, the Routan is a Chrysler with a VW badge. The Routan is made in N. America on the same line with the Chrysler minivans.

Slap a Porsche shield on the front and name it something strange like Hippopotamus and it would be a hit. Charge 80-100K for and they will sell like hotcakes.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

For me, the funny thing about driving the minivan is the stereotype, incidentally also echoed by many RListers in prior threads. The concensus here seems to be that a minivan driver is one who has given up on life, hence their aggression and/or apathy behind the wheel. How does that stereotype play out for a P-car owner with a minivan? I can go from high-on-life to low-on-life and vice-versa at different times of the day?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM
swajames
Racer

Reportedly, BMW was actually close to launching a minivan back in 2005...

Either way, the BMW minivan did actually come to fruition in a manner of speaking. My local BMW dealer here in San Jose has a Honda Odyssey as a courtesy shuttle. The van has had all Honda branding removed and it's been replaced with the Roundel and a 760Li badge
Old 01-19-2011, 11:36 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

power-sliding doors are god-sent.

Quick Reply: Why Don't High End Manufacturers Make Minivans?