Sponsored by:

2006 997 Stuck Trunk Latch

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar bob
Got it open with two paint sticks as this thing wasn't opening any other way. The large return spring bent a was holding the latch in place. This will be a latch replacement repair. At least I didn't chip the paint
Two paint sticks? How?
Old 12-11-2014, 03:57 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK here's how it went. The latch was being released but the second half that would spring back when released wasn't. Since the spring was now holding the second half of the latch in place the hood wouldn't come up. So I used 2 paint sticks between the hood and front bumper to push up the hood as the wood is soft no damage was done. Even doing this still took some time as the spring had a good hold of the latch. I had the remote in one hand hitting the button will pushing down on a paint sticks. I did hear the paint sticks start to crack as the hood started to move. Using the pull cable wouldn't work as it being released so the only other way the get it open would be to remove the front bumper to get your hands under the hood to pull it up. I have a new latch coming in to the local dealer.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Better you than me. Congratulations on having the courage, or desperation, to pursue a solution!
Old 09-16-2024, 01:34 AM
bricheun
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the stupid design of the 997 emergency release cable - attached to the sheath of the actuator cable.

I had an incident over the weekend where you can hear the click of the solenoid but not action, knowing the position of the emergency release , found it pull and pulled very hard , and i mean very hard with some pliers - finally it popped open. The emergency cable is not even attached, just hooked around the white cable sheath and whilst pulling so hard, it tore up the frunk inner lining!

Anyway, in my instance, the front of the white cable detached - not your normal detach, the plastic was brittle and decided to crack and separate. Since our cars are over 14 years old , plastic deteriorate and things happen. I am going to redesign the emergency cable release to allow easier access, smoother operation using some bicycle brake cables i have laying around.
Old 09-16-2024, 02:29 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

At this point this is a well known problem. My search doesn't work from my phone but there's a write up on adding a cable to behind the right side front fender light. This mod will insure you can get in if you must.

I forget if I added to that post that I eventually found that a bicycle brake cable with shroud was the best option. This prevents the cable from hanging up as you pull it.

Later someone added using crimp connectors to attach the cable at the latch and to create a loop behind the light as well. This was a great improvement.

There used to be some good YouTube videos on how to do this but the last time I looked I had no luck finding them. I suspect someone more capable will add links soon.

Quick Reply: 2006 997 Stuck Trunk Latch