Sponsored by:

Effect of warranty on resale value

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Effect of warranty on resale value

I am not considering selling my car but am curious on opinions of what an Easy Care powertrain warranty would do to resale value.

Having an '05 I always have in the back of my mind the dreaded IMS problem. I can get the powertrain covered with an Easy Care plan for $3200 that is transferrable. Do you think this would increase the resale value or would it just make it easier to sell the car.

The $3200 plan is 4 years or 40K miles from date of warranty purchase.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
I am not considering selling my car but am curious on opinions of what an Easy Care powertrain warranty would do to resale value.

Having an '05 I always have in the back of my mind the dreaded IMS problem. I can get the powertrain covered with an Easy Care plan for $3200 that is transferrable. Do you think this would increase the resale value or would it just make it easier to sell the car.

The $3200 plan is 4 years or 40K miles from date of warranty purchase.

Thanks.
Interesting question. My OEM warranty expires this June and I too was interested in an extended warranty until I move to a 991. Is it possible to get one shorter than 4 years? I figure skip the first year of the 991 and get into one in the 2nd half of 2012 (2013 model).
Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

You can get 2 yr/24K mile or 3yr/36K mile. The peace of mind might make it worthwhile. With cars getting further out of warranty period I believe Porsche will be less likely to goodwill replacement engines.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get 2 yr/24K mile or 3yr/36K mile. The peace of mind might make it worthwhile. With cars getting further out of warranty period I believe Porsche will be less likely to goodwill replacement engines.
Thanks! My dealer recommended some other 3rd party company I was not familiar with. I prefer to go with EasyCare since I have used them in the past. Do your foresee this being an issue if I require extended warranty work? Might EasyCare suggest a different repair shop that is not my dealer?

C2S has been bulletproof so far so like you mentioned I'd be getting the ext warranty for peace of mind and the 2nd owner may have the benefit of a year or so under said warranty.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Effect on resale value is very small IMO, CPO has much more value than a 3rd party warranty. It might help you get a sale through if the buyer is wavering, or make someone pick your car instead of another, so that has some value.

IMO not worth it for the IMS problem either. Engine is only $12k or so, so for $3k warranty to be worth it, you have to think chance of engine failure is 25% or so.

Of course warranty might pay for other problems, but the cars are in fact very reliable other than the rare engine explosions. And then you have to account for how often the warranty denies things through obscure loopholes, etc...
Old 01-08-2011, 01:08 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with others about CPO.

If I was shopping for used more than 4yrs old, I wouldn't place a premium on those with the extended warranty, because they may be asking for more for their car. It would have to be exactly apples to apples and then the warranty be a little bonus. More or less miles, color preference, location, etc. would be higher priority than whether or not a car had an aftermarket warranty for a few months or a couple years. Or even more important for me is buying from the original owner who has full documentation of service intervals, rather than some 2nd or even worse 3rd owner car without records (even if a warranty comes along).
Old 01-08-2011, 11:33 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the minimal value increase. CPO is likely the biggest potential booster, I think. I have an extended from Warranty Direct (about $4K for 48K miles or up to 75K) that is also transferrable. (I've used it for water pump and a couple of other issues with great results, so far) I got the warranty for myself, peace of mind as others have alluded to. But if I sell, I would only view it as a positive piece of the puzzle that the buyer might look at as a reason to purchase. I don't feel like the 3rd party warranty, regardless of the quality, is something to up your selling price. CPO, maybe yes. (I have to say that I sleep easier having it)
Old 01-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I have one for my car and consider it like another good option that I got for the car. It would be a factor for someone who was on the edge of a purchase perhaps.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by McCulla
+1 on the minimal value increase. CPO is likely the biggest potential booster, I think. I have an extended from Warranty Direct (about $4K for 48K miles or up to 75K) that is also transferrable. (I've used it for water pump and a couple of other issues with great results, so far) I got the warranty for myself, peace of mind as others have alluded to. But if I sell, I would only view it as a positive piece of the puzzle that the buyer might look at as a reason to purchase. I don't feel like the 3rd party warranty, regardless of the quality, is something to up your selling price. CPO, maybe yes. (I have to say that I sleep easier having it)
I totally agree with your assessment. I would probably use it as a negotiation tool if someone were interested. "I can meet your offer price however it will be without the additional warranty" since the unused portion can be turned in/refunded based on the monthly average cost.

Anyway, I don't ever picture myself selling the car-just wondering.

Quick Reply: Effect of warranty on resale value