Sponsored by:

19" tires only last 15k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 PM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
15,000 miles is about right for the rears - 50,000? If it looks too good to be true - it probably is...

And on the subject of looks - please can you make your avatar pic bigger?
Hmmm I wondered why my avatar is small compared to others. Let me see what I can do about that. Topic of cars and women can never be separated lol
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think 15k is great.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by aaks38
Do not get the Kumhos, ive had them on a different car and had many noise and vibration issues with them, and they are notorious for this. It is a low quality tire in terms of manufacturability.

I think the longest lasting tire currently available is the Continental DW as it has a treadwear rating of 330 or so. I would think 20-25k mileage is ideal. It is a high quality tire and priced very cheap relative to the others. It beat out the Michelin PS2 in tire racks test.
What about Hankooks? My tire guy are raving about these brands. How do they rack up compared to Kumho's? Reviews are pretty good on Hankooks.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

15k is very good for the backs. I believe the average is about 10k w/o track. I've actually heard a lot of good things about the Hankooks. They are very cheap, so you could try them out and would not stand to loose much. Let us know what your experience is if you do decide to do that.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

Tires are all you have between your Porsche and the road. You will greatly impact the performance capability of that car by putting inexpensive tires on it. If you have to skimp on tires then you should have bought a Camry--really. I know that's a bit rough, but I honestly don't get buying an expensive sports car and then putting inexpensive tires on it what will never deliver the performance the car can give you. If you're a grandmother--disregard.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny how some people go out of their way to skimp on tires when they own an expensive performance car. I guess some people don't get it? The car and the road meet at the point of contact at the tire. If a 911 owner gets 15k out of their rear tires, IMHO, they are driving their car no different than a Camry. Getting 50K out of a tire, ridiculous, I can barely get 15k on my Cayenne. I guess to each his own.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
...but I honestly don't get buying an expensive sports car and then putting inexpensive tires on it...
I guess the part you don't get is this: there is only a loose correlation between price and performance when it comes to tires.

Hankook and Kumho both are aggressively priced but that doesn't mean they're bad, unsafe, or non-performance tires. Both enjoy a strong reputation among enthusiasts and I know plenty of people who have been happy with them for street, track, and autocross.

Just because a PS2 or a PZero Rosso costs twice as much doesn't mean they're better tires. It doesn't mean that at all.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:02 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have gotten 20 K out of the rear tires and 40 K out of the fronts with Contis SC2. The rear PS2s have just worn out at 20 K and it looks like I still have good tread left on the front PS2s. And I do drive it agressively.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boolala
I have gotten 20 K out of the rear tires and 40 K out of the fronts with Contis SC2. The rear PS2s have just worn out at 20 K and it looks like I still have good tread left on the front PS2s. And I do drive it agressively.
I've heard good things about the PS2s, which is probably what I'll go with next (that or the Bridgestone Potenzas). I find the PZero Rossos on mine to be fairly noisy.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd go with Bridgestone RE050 N1 spec (the new one) over the aging PS2. The PS2 is not on par with more modern compounds.

If you're not married to the Porsche N specification, the RE11 is also a good choice. A bit more aggressive than the RE050.

I hated the two sets of PZero Rossos I ran on my C2S. Any track at all would ruin them and as Ucube mentioned they get crazy loud as the tread starts to wear.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

And just to make the original poster feel better, a buddy of mine got only 5,000 miles out of his first set of tires on his 1985 930 Turbo.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
I guess the part you don't get is this: there is only a loose correlation between price and performance when it comes to tires.

Hankook and Kumho both are aggressively priced but that doesn't mean they're bad, unsafe, or non-performance tires. Both enjoy a strong reputation among enthusiasts and I know plenty of people who have been happy with them for street, track, and autocross.

Just because a PS2 or a PZero Rosso costs twice as much doesn't mean they're better tires. It doesn't mean that at all.
I agree that you should not necessarily overlook the others, but each of us have slightly different requirements for tires. For some it's all about the tire wear rate. For others, it's all about performance. Still others are seeking something that helps them to deal with their climate issues.

However, everyone should go forward with their eyes open on this stuff.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS-2 N1 vs. N2 spec? Does anyone know the difference? Is getting the N2 a no brainer?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Sure, you could put the same 50,000 mile all-season tires on a Porsche that you would on a Kia, but why the hell would you? You'd cripple the performance! Our tires only last 15,000 miles or less because that's the state of the art right now for grippy street tires. Longer-lasting tires don't perform nearly so well. Racing tires wear out even quicker. (Grippy street tires wear out quicker if you race them, too... my last set of tires only lasted 3000 miles. Dragging tires sideways hurts tire life, whodathunkit!)

If you need them for weather, that's different; just be aware what you're putting on your car will hurt dry weather performance. You probably will need to do seasonal tire changes.

Originally Posted by JJB236
What about Hankooks? My tire guy are raving about these brands. How do they rack up compared to Kumho's? Reviews are pretty good on Hankooks.
Hankook RS3s are excellent tires, good wet and dry, and like the heat. They make good DE tires. Kumho XSs are awesome grip on the track, but have very poor wet weather performance and need to warm up before they give their best grip. I would not DD Kuhmo XSs, but they'd be at the top of my list for a dry-weather competition tire. Dunlop Star Specs are another excellent tire; great wet and dry performance and better in cold weather than the Hankooks- the Dunlops are a very good autocross tire and DD tire. (Hankooks need to warm up, but not nearly as much as Kuhmos do.)

If you're not competing, though, I'd just get Sumitomo HTR ZIII which are very good tires and very cheap.

Paying extra for N-rating is a waste of money, IMHO. Far better tires out there for far cheaper.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:06 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

You're in L.A., go to Wheel Enhancement in Culver City. They will give you totally honest advice about what you want or need, their prices are actually very competitive (think Tire Rack prices), and they stock our sizes. Or just call Dave and discuss with him first.

Quick Reply: 19" tires only last 15k?