Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Convertible Top Questions

Up to now, I have just been considering coupes in my search. However, I have recently become interested in the 2009 convertible. How much insulation do the tops have? How hot are they during the summer and cold during the winter? How much sound or road noise on the highway? How hard are they to keep? Do they fade from sun exposure? Do they take a set when they are down? How long will they last before they need replacement? What type of material are they made of? Are there some normal problems with them? Should I shy away from the convertible for any reason and just stay with the coupes?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This is my first true convertible. Only Porsche can make such a top that is tough, durable, looks good, holds up, insulates well (they sell these in FINLAND!) and does a pretty good job insulating you from road noise. If you have ANY inclination toward a cabriolet, the Porsche 911 cabriolet is the best around. The material is canvas, impregnated with something to make it waterproof and tough. The mechanisms are quite reliable today, compared to yesteryear.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

The 997 cab top is wonderful. I'm not sure why you are asking how hot a cabriolet top is in summer; the point is that you put it down as often as you wish (well into late autumn, at least). It is certainly no colder in the winter than any other car that I have, though I put the Porsche to bed for the winter on November 30. There definitely is more road noise in a cab than in a coupe, especially when you have the top down, of course. The brown cab tops I've seen fade do quite badly over about ten years; the black ones appear to fade much, much less. I have no idea what it means to 'take a set when they are down'. The only special issue I'm aware of is that you cannot put a cabriolet top through an automatic car wash; you must have a hand wash (which costs about the same and results in a much better job in any case).
Old 01-05-2011, 12:12 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+2 . The cab top is good, but does require maintinence every 2yrs. If you drive in snowy areas the salt can be damaging therefore a more attention will be needed. DOnt use soap on the top as it can fade. There is, of course, more road noise than the coupe, especially at highway speeds. I have worn headphones during long trips. The cooled seat help during the summer months w/ the top down.

The question is if you are a "cab guy" or not. I am and i have the top down as often as possible.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:38 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My '06 cab has the brown top & no fade thus far in the hot Florida sun. For the first 2 years I treated the top w/ the Porsche top treatment twice a year. Since then I use the "303 High Tech Fabric Guard", twice a year. I wash the top w/ plain water during the hand car wash & twice a year before the top treatment I use the Porsche top shampoo.

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...bric-guard.cfm

With the top up & windows closed my Cab riding on Michelin PS 2's is smoother & has less road noise then a friend of mines '06 coupe riding on Continental ContiSportContact 3.

At 70 mph with the top down, windows up & rear wind screen up the top of my hair (I'm 5'11') will barely move & zero hair movement on the wife.

The stereo could sound better w/ the top down but it still sounds far better the my '73 911 coup.

In the summer wear a hat & keep moving. If you are in stop & go traffic crank up the A/C. In cold weather turn on the heated seats, heater & flip the wind screen up & enjoy smell of leather mixed w/ the local pines or ocean.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Be aware that the vented seats pull air into them - cool air if the AC is on and the surrounding air is cool. Or hot air in the winter if the heat is on. Or....I rolled my windows down one hot summer day and turned on the seat venting - yikes - it felt like I had turned on the warmers as the venting sucked the 100F outside air through the windows and past my butt.

I still think they are a great option in the South - Cabrio or Coupe.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by NA011
My '06 cab has the brown top & no fade thus far in the hot Florida sun. For the first 2 years I treated the top w/ the Porsche top treatment twice a year. Since then I use the "303 High Tech Fabric Guard", twice a year. I wash the top w/ plain water during the hand car wash & twice a year before the top treatment I use the Porsche top shampoo.

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...bric-guard.cfm

With the top up & windows closed my Cab riding on Michelin PS 2's is smoother & has less road noise then a friend of mines '06 coupe riding on Continental ContiSportContact 3.

At 70 mph with the top down, windows up & rear wind screen up the top of my hair (I'm 5'11') will barely move & zero hair movement on the wife.

The stereo could sound better w/ the top down but it still sounds far better the my '73 911 coup.

In the summer wear a hat & keep moving. If you are in stop & go traffic crank up the A/C. In cold weather turn on the heated seats, heater & flip the wind screen up & enjoy smell of leather mixed w/ the local pines or ocean.
Another Florida 06 cab here with a brown top...er cocoa that is. Agree with all the above comments.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

'08 Black top in sunny New Mexico. No fade whatsoever, and car sat on the lot for quite awhile before I purchased it. Has not required any special maintenance or cleaning, and I've had no leaks.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:27 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

softtop requires more maintenance such as cleaning with a pet roller to make it last. if well taken care of, it will last as long as the paintjob on the car. just dont leave it cooking in the extreme weather and keep it clean.

the top down experience is really nice. 911 cabs look wider in the rear when top down.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:18 AM
mossjn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had it down today on Highway 280 in SF Bay Area - couldn't be better. Would never go back to coupe in this climate.

Get Smart TOP control. Use Ragg Top protectant (or 303 as mentioned before).

Even in colder climate - no problem with current heating system and, of course, seat heaters.

Other than aesthetic (coupe looks much better compared to top up cabrio), cabrio is way to go. Cabrio, IMHO, looks better than coupe if top is down. Even tracked it and, being a relative novice, could not tell any appreciable difference compared to coupe regarding rigidity (even though I know technically there is a difference).
Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 AM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

+++1 for the pet/lint roller.
I use it between car washes. It's amazing how much sand, grit & pollen sticks to that canvas top.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:38 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mossjn
Had it down today on Highway 280 in SF Bay Area - couldn't be better. Would never go back to coupe in this climate.
Woot. I was doing the same.
Surprised I missed you.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:00 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

How about the durability when used as a daily driver - parked outside five days a week?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:02 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

I'm a cab guy so don't ask me!

Name:  20130612_184310.jpg
Views: 2146
Size:  209.9 KB

Tom
Old 07-05-2013, 06:05 PM
LexVan
Banned