Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommend Houston TX Porsche mechanic for PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:15 PM
rl933
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend Houston TX Porsche mechanic for PPI?

I live in Missouri but am considering purchasing an 09 911 from a Porsche dealer in Houston that has been driven less than 7k miles, one owner, and a clean CarFax (for what thats worth). I would fly to Houston to see it and most likely have the car shipped if I proceed with the purchase. Can you recommend an expert mechanic for an independent pre-purchase inspection? Rough idea as to how much time to allow and the approximate cost?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:55 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rl933
I live in Missouri but am considering purchasing an 09 911 from a Porsche dealer in Houston that has been driven less than 7k miles, one owner, and a clean CarFax (for what thats worth). I would fly to Houston to see it and most likely have the car shipped if I proceed with the purchase. Can you recommend an expert mechanic for an independent pre-purchase inspection? Rough idea as to how much time to allow and the approximate cost?
i cant but i will advise you to work a CPO into the deal like I did. That extra 2 years of warranty well is worth it. GL!
Old 12-27-2010, 10:26 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I know that a 100 point inspection including inspecting paint runs about $300 in a quality Dallas-area shop. Read this thread:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...o-houston.html
Old 12-27-2010, 02:18 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Pro Technik is a good indie shop in Houston. 281-879-8861. They are on the southwest side of town.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:41 PM
rl933
4th Gear

Thank you gentleman, for both the lead to the previous Houston PPI thread and the Pro Technik recomm.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Thank you gentleman, for both the lead to the previous Houston PPI thread and the Pro Technik recomm.
I second the recommendation of Pro Technik as an indy. Not sure which dealer your prospective car is at, but if it's at Momentum Porsche, then Pro Technik is just right across the freeway. Ask for Steve Mikula.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:14 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW I think the generic PPI is very over-rated. Do not just trust a recommended mechanic, far too many of them use the PPI as a way to make some money for no work. I recommend asking for this exact information :

1. DME readout - have them send you an exact copy of what they get, not just their opinion on it

2. Compression test - this is the only way to tell if there's damage inside the engine

3. Check for oil weep on the engine, particularly in the front

4. Check for bent suspension parts, cracked coils, and rust on the exhaust

and of course get CPO whenever possible.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:25 PM
cbzzoom

IMO if you're buying from a Porsche dealership, they should give you a DME printout for free. I've never heard of that actually happening but it's pretty absurd for them not to.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:47 PM
netwerkked
7th Gear

Forum newbie here reviving an old thread

I'm actually looking to pick up a 2010 Cayman from a Houston dealer but all the Porsche/Indy dealerships I talk to are scared about doing PPI's and I can't seem to find anyone half decent willing to do more than a "visual inspection." It's so bad in fact, that I was referred by a service advisor at Momentum Porsche to reach out to a guy named Roy Bent. Mr. Bent advised me that his service would cost FIVE HUNDRED dollars and would only consist of a visual inspection. When asked if he would at least check brake pad/rotor thickness and fluid levels, he chuckled as if I was making a joke. I checked into the other names mentioned above as well and this is the current status of the aforementioned shops:
  1. Viking Motorsports - Couldn't find it; found a Viking Automotive specializing in Volvo's though; no certified Porsche mechanics on staff
  2. Motorwerks - Akram has left and there's no certified Porsche mechanic on-premise any more; Sunil was the guy on the other end who said that a PPI would run $250, be a 50-point inspection, and was the closest I came to anyone recording any actual measurements
  3. Drivers Source - Don't do PPI's anymore
  4. Pro Technik - Number is no longer in service; I'm assuming they shut down

After giving one last call to Porsche of North Houston, I learned that the law recently changed and now places liability of any errors/omissions in a PPI on the inspector thus causing a lot of places to stop selling the service. Given where things are currently at, does anyone in the Houston area have any updated recommendations as to certified Porsche mechanics who might look over my car? I don't care if they call it a PPI or not, just want the car checked out by someone specializing in Porsche's.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 PM
beaconsfield
Intermediate

Did you check with Eurocar Werk on Gulfton and S. Rice?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:21 PM
iammulva
Racer

Originally Posted by beaconsfield
Did you check with Eurocar Werk on Gulfton and S. Rice?
I was gonna suggest the same thing. I had mine done by them about a year and a half back. IIRC, cost was in the $300-$3350 range and they were pretty thorough.

Edit: You can also give Tony at Today's European Cars a call. He's the owner and I've used him for my two previous BMW 5's. I would trust him with any car I owned, but he doesn't have the dealer software for the newer Porsches. However, if you ask him, he will tell you what he can and can't do and won't waste your time - this I can guarantee. Very patient and very helpful. I called him for my most recent issue with my car, he offered to read the OBD codes to see if it would help (I know he wouldn't have charged me). But, my car had flashing CEL so I had to take it to a shop I know has the right software. Tony said he doesn't have enough newer Porsche owner clients so can't justify the cost of the software. For anyone in the Houston area PLEASE consider using Tony if at all possible. He is the type of mechanic everybody wishes they had: honest, helpful, do-it-right-the-first-time kind of guy. I didn't say cheap. He's not any more expensive than any other indie I've dealt with and cheaper than the dealer. Sorry for the long commercial... I just want to drum up business for him so I can start using him again. P.S. I will still take my car to him for any mechanical issue that I cannot do myself.

Last edited by iammulva; 07-02-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:42 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

I just picked up my Cayman S this week in Houston and needed a quick inspection/PPI. I only had a day's notice and took the car to European Auto Techniks in north Houston.

I've seen a lot of P cars and the ppi's I've had in the past at the Porsche dealer was pretty much useless. I was looking for two basic items, over rev report and metal particulate in the oil filter.

They were able to fit me in within an appointment and had me in and out. Ran a full computer (autologic) report with all recorded faults and overrev report. I also had them pull the oil filter, cut it open and inspect. All for around $190.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:43 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

I just picked up my Cayman S this week in Houston and needed a quick inspection/PPI. I only had a day's notice and took the car to European Auto Techniks in north Houston.

I've seen a lot of P cars and the ppi's I've had in the past at the Porsche dealer was pretty much useless. I was looking for two basic items, over rev report and metal particulate in the oil filter.

They were able to fit me in within an appointment and had me in and out. Ran a full computer (autologic) report with all recorded faults and overrev report. I also had them pull the oil filter, cut it open and inspect. All for around $190.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:50 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by netwerkked
Forum newbie here reviving an old thread :thumbsup

After giving one last call to Porsche of North Houston, I learned that the law recently changed and now places liability of any errors/omissions in a PPI on the inspector thus causing a lot of places to stop selling the service. Given where things are currently at, does anyone in the Houston area have any updated recommendations as to certified Porsche mechanics who might look over my car? I don't care if they call it a PPI or not, just want the car checked out by someone specializing in Porsche's.
This is true. One shop in Houston got a 30k repair bill after a PPI as the court found the shop liable as the court thought the PPI shop should have found the problem. For $300 for a PPI, the liability is not worth it to them.
Some shops will provide a visual inspection and perform DME readout but they will not declare an official PPI nor give and opinion on status in Houston. It will be more of, yes or no to buying the car vs listing items of concern or major issue.

My lesson buying long distance, I would always go and see the car in person. I know this add expense but much better than buyer remorse because you found something that an inspection did not find.

Quick Reply: Recommend Houston TX Porsche mechanic for PPI?