Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Date and Model Year

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1990964C4, thanks for the heads up on the soot and oil consumption problems. I have read most of the threads concerning these conditions and they are quite disturbing for engines that are supposed to be as highly engineered as the 997.2 engines are. I will definitely factor those conditions into my buying decision and questions about whatever car I am considering.

I have no experience with DI engines, but normally when I see soot from a gasoline engine, it is almost always an indication of over fueling or a rich fuel condition in the cylinder. Soot is typically unburned fuel and is a condition usually associated with diesels and that is why diesel engine oils are designed to handle soot, where as gasoline engine oils do not normally take soot loading into consideration.

If there is as much soot at the tailpipe and on the back of the car as deomstrated, I cannot imagine the cylinder condition, i.e., tops of the pistons, compression rings, valves, and spark plugs. After all, the soot is generated in the cylinder, and I can guarantee you that all of it does not make its way out of the cylinder during the exhaust stroke. My guess would be that high soot levels and high oil consumption would go hand in hand, with the soot interfering with the sealing capability of the the rings, at least the top ring and probably the other rings as well, such as the oil control ring.

I will be on the lookout for sure. Thanks again, this board should be mandatory reading for PNA.

Quick Reply: Build Date and Model Year