Sponsored by:

New Alternator not charging New Battery, Low Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 03:29 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
The concept of a corroded cable, these days, that hasn't been subjected to unusual conditions like submersion or salt water or certain gasses, seems silly. This isn't the iron age.. cable technology has vastly advanced from the late 1800's. If just driving around in normal weather has corroded the cable then there's a design flaw or manufacturing flaw in the cable - the wrong materials used or the wrong assembly. To know for sure, we need to know what happened to the cable though.

Exactly. What is happening to the cables, high resistance causing heat? These are not the first cars to have cables used in this way. Has this been resolved?
Old 05-05-2019, 06:29 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
Exactly. What is happening to the cables, high resistance causing heat? These are not the first cars to have cables used in this way. Has this been resolved?
High resistance at the terminal connection due to a poor crimp during manufacturing is what the most common opinion is around the community. The high resistance obviously causes heat and further degradation= poor charging current going back to the battery as well as poor current to starter.
I just ordered a harness from suncoast which they list as being "improved", however I don't know if that is true. It may just be a part that requires replacement every few years. Mine was last replaced by the Porsche centre( via previous owner) aprox 4 years ago and it was the same part number as the one I just ordered. If they improved it....they didn't change the part number.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:02 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 177 Posts

Yes, there have been several revisions, so best of luck and thanks for your insight. Sorry to hear it is the same part number.

Apparently it's VERY COMPLICATED, because I can't recall it happening with any of the other 8 or 9 cars including 5 911s I own. So I guess it's way over my pay grade to understand.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:17 AM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

well...most cars you turn off...go to bed. These thing you turn off and they stay up all night thinking about stuff.

Quick Reply: New Alternator not charging New Battery, Low Voltage