Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Yachtbroker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are dealers not negotiating?

I've had my eye on 2 cars.

A 2006 Basalt Black Cab, TIP, Non-S CPO in Tampa

and a 2006 Black S Cab, Stick, CPO in Austin Texas.
http://www.porscheaustin.com/certifi...262cb7c45f.htm

The ask price on the car in Austin is $59,900. I found several same cars asking in the very low $50's, but with black interiors and I want the tan they have. I offered them 48k, and they came back at $58,450 and told me they were only making $450 on the deal. I was obviously willing to come up and make a deal but that just tells me they don't really want to sell the car.

The ask price on the stripped car in Tampa is $53,163.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...05&aff=sunsent

He calls me back, tells me they have it sold AT THAT PRICE but the Buyer hasn't paid/picked it up yet. Of Course, I would be welcome to come in and pay the same full price amount. That sounds like the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. The car looks like it has no options.

I can't imagine the used car market is that strong for dealers? Is there some trick? Are they both going to call me in a week?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:34 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a load of crap re them selling a car that they already "sold" for the same price. Just get a car somewhere else. W/ car dealers, there is always "some trick." Figure out what a car is worth and try and pay as little as you can without exceeding that amount. Just do your research, remain disciplined and patient, etc.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:38 PM
nazhat
Instructor

You need to contact TexasImportSales.com or ECarLink.com and RUFAutoCenter.com, all in DFW area. Amazing deals
Old 12-21-2010, 04:59 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The first car you posted is an S model with low miles and CPO

The second car you posted is a non-S and and its undetermined if its CPO or not.

What is the KBB value?

C2S coupe KBB value right now on a car with under 15K is close to $58K

However, the last part about them offering the car to you even though its sold is BS.

Jason
Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

mine was dealing!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Walk in with a Check and a resonable offer, I doubt they would turn it down. If they do they'll be calling you back. There are plenty of cars available for sale and more pop up weekly so time is on your side....as long as you're patient and don't need the car immediately.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:36 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Yachtbroker
http://www.porscheaustin.com/certified/Porsche/2006-Porsche-911-ad1c0c990a0a006400ee18262cb7c45f.htm[/URL]

The ask price on the car in Austin is $59,900. ... I offered them 48k, and they came back at $58,450 and told me they were only making $450 on the deal.
Maybe you need to get armed with more info. If you make a way low offer, that probably encourages game playing on the other end as well.

It doesn't really matter what the dealer is making on the car, and I think it is insulting for them to bring it up - or at least amateurish - but so what - that has little to do with anything. As long as you know what the car is really worth on the market and get a fair deal on the car you want, then you have succeeded.

I KBB'd that Austin car - had to wing some of the options due to the crazy way they listed it - but I came up with $62K for a CPO car. For whatever that is worth. I'm guessing "low miles"+cabrio+"S"+6spd+CPO= premium car=premium price. $58 might be not so bad after all - if they can get it.

Dealers seem to always say KBB does not reflect current market conditions: it is too high when you are trading, and too low when trying to buy. Still, it gives you at least a ball park data point.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:44 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you want a PDK and a few thousand dollars more for an almost brand-new car, check out my For Sale ad.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l-leather.html
Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO the future resale value on tips will fall off the cliff with the PDK now out for a while.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:12 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

What you pay for a used vehicle is very much tied to what the dealer owns it for. Unless they have been sitting on the car for a long time, they are going to hang tight and wait for the right buyer to come in so they can make a few bucks. They are not going to sell it at a loss. Walking in with $60K cash will do you no good if they own it for $63K. The key is to find a dealer who owns the car "right", meaning well below wholesale, and then you as a shrewd negotiator can get it for wholesale or somewhere between wholesale and retail. You get a great deal, and they make money. Everybody wins.

If a dealer doesn't want to deal, it doesn't necessarily mean they are arrogant or uninterested in your business. They are just not willing, at that time, to take a tiny profit or worse yet, a loss. There are of course exceptions to this, including the arrogant dealer. But if you can't get the price you want, move on and find another dealer who "owns it right" and is willing to negotiate a fair deal.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 514 Posts

A guy in Birmingham has an 07 S with factory aero white/black priced under $57k. Nice car.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Yachtbroker
I've had my eye on 2 cars.

A 2006 Basalt Black Cab, TIP, Non-S CPO in Tampa

and a 2006 Black S Cab, Stick, CPO in Austin Texas.
http://www.porscheaustin.com/certifi...262cb7c45f.htm

The ask price on the car in Austin is $59,900. I found several same cars asking in the very low $50's, but with black interiors and I want the tan they have. I offered them 48k, and they came back at $58,450 and told me they were only making $450 on the deal. I was obviously willing to come up and make a deal but that just tells me they don't really want to sell the car.

The ask price on the stripped car in Tampa is $53,163.

He calls me back, tells me they have it sold AT THAT PRICE but the Buyer hasn't paid/picked it up yet. Of Course, I would be welcome to come in and pay the same full price amount. That sounds like the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. The car looks like it has no options.

I can't imagine the used car market is that strong for dealers? Is there some trick? Are they both going to call me in a week?
You can be sure the dealer wants to sell the car but he doesn't want to give it away or more accurately he wants to make as much on the car sale as he can.

Generally the profit margin on a used car is huge. $450 for a car that is being offered for $58K? Hah!. More likely there's $4500 profit in that car, maybe more cause you can't know what they paid for the car or made on the sale of a car that it was traded in for.

(Well, you can get close if you can for instance get ahold of applicable car auction prices. Another way is to research the H*ll out of the market to follow various similar cars until they're sold and learn if you can what they sold for. You can also refer to Excellence and its buyer guides and car prices.)

Remember, anything a car salesman tells you is intended to get you to buy the car as soon as possible and pay as much for the car as possible.

Also, price is not a fact, only an opinion.

BTW, the dealer was negotiating, he just didn't negotiate the price down as low as you wanted.

These guys sell cars for a living. They deal with buyers, all kinds, day in and day out. You want to get a good deal you have to work hard to prepare for it and then visit the dealer loaded for bear. IOWs you have to work at getting a good deal.

Lastly, my guess is the dealer won't call you even if it should find your wallet on the showroom floor.

Not to put too fine a point on it but I think you handled this poorly. When you made that low offer you needed to have some good justification for your offer. Otherwise salesman believes you're just trying to steal a car make a goofy low ball offer in the hopes the dealer decides it likes your looks well enough to make the deal on to your benefit.

Also, salesman can only say no. He can't say yes. That offer may have been realistic but if so it eats into his sales commission and he might rather not make the sale than not make any commission or make the minimum ($100 or whatever it is). So he may not have even run your offer by the salesmanager.

Salesmen are optimistic and even though he declined to accept your offer he feels that any second someone will walk through that door and pay $58K or something close to it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealers are FOS? What a surprise! :-)
Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Sold my 2006 non-S, tip, Yellow Cab, 15K miles for $50K in June 2009. Asked a couple of dealers and they offered me $40K. They told me because of the Speed Yellow, they had to offer me $2K less. I pointed to their over 10 used black/silvers on the lot and said those must be selling like crazy as he had to stock that many of them ready for buyers.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Yachtbroker
Intermediate

My initial offer was not that low. I did do my research and found several other cars similarly equipped, ASKING 51k,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOW-M...item27b761f894

So my initial offer of 48k was not silly low. Also, I was more than prepared to come up and meet somewhere in the middle. If you are asking 59.9 for a car and then you come back and say you'll sell it to me for 58,450 then you can go and hold onto your car. I will keep looking.

I also don't care what the blue book is on it. I think they make those numbers up as they go along. When you trade in they check their black book, when you buy, its the blue book, when you need service they probably have a green book.

Quick Reply: Are dealers not negotiating?