Sponsored by:

Seeking update from 997 owners on ceramic brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:23 PM
flyfast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking update from 997 owners on ceramic brakes

I've been looking at 997.1 S models and occasionally come across one with ceramic brakes. I've looked at a tone of threads regarding ceramic brakes, but the majority seem to be when they were first offered as options on the 996 GT3.
Now, nearly 7 years later I am wondering, if P-car owners are still "in love" with their ceramic brakes or wish they had stayed with good 'ol fashioned steel brakes?
There are many smart people on this forum with a ton of experience and aside from the obvious benefits of less unsprung weight and most likely less fade on the track have owners been happy with their decision? Has the cost been worth it? And speaking of which, what has the lifespan of ceramic brakes been? - (for cars predominantly being driven on the street with occasional track days)
I'm a huge fan of good brakes, have always loved Porsche Brakes and am debating whether or not to get ceramic brakes.....
Hopefully there are plenty of guys out there that have owned cars for many years with these brakes and can give me some words of advice. Thanks so much,
D

P.S I know that PCCB has been beaten to death on the 996 GT2/3 boards - just looking for an update on reliability and upkeep cost
Old 12-19-2010, 05:51 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

I have a 2006 997 with PCCBs and 43,000 miles. So far, no problems and I am still on the original pads.

Jerry
Old 12-19-2010, 06:35 PM
flyfast
Advanced

Thanks Jerry,
That's great to hear. Do you know how often (on average, with minimal track use) the rotors need replacing? From what I have read, does 200,000 miles sound realistic, or did I seriously misread a posting? It just seems very high in terms of mileage.
D
Old 12-19-2010, 07:02 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by flyfast
Thanks Jerry,
That's great to hear. Do you know how often (on average, with minimal track use) the rotors need replacing? From what I have read, does 200,000 miles sound realistic, or did I seriously misread a posting? It just seems very high in terms of mileage.
D
It is VERY driver and use dependent. If you are hard on brakes and on a track that is demanding of brakes you will eat thru them in no time. For spirited street use they will last the vehicles lifetime. I do not track my car and wouldn't buy another Porsche without them mainly due to the lack of brake dust and they do feel great. You should be able to get them for no premium on the price due to all the negative comments-mostly from people who have never owned them. If you want the straight skinny on wear PM Edgy, I think he has taken measurements over use and can give you a good idea.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the on my 06 C4S. Work great. Very little wear and have done a weekend DE. Car has 23,000 miles on it.
Love the lack of brake dust!
Many on this forum will give you their expert opinion of them yet have never actually had them.

Worth it? I think so.

Disclosure: I actually have them!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I had them.....wonderful on the street, no brake dust

Now in a box in the attic, I replaced them with stop tech steel......for track use stick with steel
Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I am not a track junkie but I don't baby my car either. With nearly 55,000 on my S cab I opted for the PCCBs to avert weight, dust and maintenance issues. I am still on my original pads (front and rear) and don't seem to even have to think about pads for some time still. I have heard of some people literally frying their PCCBs on the track (on a GT3 or GT2) but I suspect that was one guy who didn't know the first thing about driving. Sure, they are an expensive option, so you don't see that many people ordering them in the first place. (American buyers tend to keep cars a few years so ordering PCCBs doesn't amortize out well for a short ownership).

I love them.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:04 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

No dust is nice, but they squawk.

You're right about amortizing the cost when new, but if you buy CPO cars like I do, they're a great option to find - you don't pay much of a premium after they're a couple/three years old.

My 07 tt had 12K miles and was on the upper 10% of the price range of 07s for sale when I bought it - but it was $156K when new, which must have been on the upper end at the time (option list is very long).

Oh - and they work great - except in the rain.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 0luke1
No dust is nice, but they squawk.

You're right about amortizing the cost when new, but if you buy CPO cars like I do, they're a great option to find - you don't pay much of a premium after they're a couple/three years old.

My 07 tt had 12K miles and was on the upper 10% of the price range of 07s for sale when I bought it - but it was $156K when new, which must have been on the upper end at the time (option list is very long).

Oh - and they work great - except in the rain.
I've never had any sound from mine but have heard of a few that have. I never notice a difference in the rain, only after I wash the car and it goes away after a couple of stops. Unfortunately mine are not attached to a TT-maybe some day
Old 12-20-2010, 03:06 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Mine work extremely well in the rain. What are you talking about?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:25 AM
lig
Racer

40k - a few track days and a few autocrosses. Love them.

Minimal wear - low dust - reduced unsprung weight and beautiful.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:04 PM
flyfast
Advanced

Thanks so much everyone - great feedback. I really appreciate all the good advice - Can't to find "the one" now..... I don't think I'll shy away from them, but it's hard to find everything on that wishlist when looking at used cars.
D

Quick Reply: Seeking update from 997 owners on ceramic brakes