Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to change navigation arrow/map behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 AM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to change navigation arrow/map behavior?

I have a 2006 C4, and the owner installed the navigation system after they bought the car (not sure if that makes a difference, but thought I'd mention it).

While using it for the first time the other day, I noticed a behavior that drives me crazy. At some of the closer-in zoom levels, the arrow stays stationary always pointing up, and the map rotates around it. I hate that. I want the map to always stay stationary so that up is North, and have the arrow rotate instead - like it does at the lower zoomed-out levels.

I looked in the PCM manual but didn't find a way to change this behavior. Does anybody know if it can be changed, perhaps by the dealer changing a setting somewhere?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 12:05 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

On my car, I can touch the arrow to change it - not sure about an '06 though.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The "north up" and "forward up" setting is hidden on those 997.1 PCM systems. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure you access it by pressing the right-side ****, which pulls up a little context menu with that and a few other settings. I'm going from memory, though, I sold my 997.1 Nav car a year ago.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i have an 06. on mine there's a main setting to have either the arrow facing straight up, or to have north up/south down, etc. BUT even when in arrow-up mode, at a certain point of zoom out (10miles? 20? i forget), it switches to north-up until you zoom back in. additionally, if you you use the cursor feature, i notice it switches to north-up, until you exit that feature.

are you saying you do have the "north-up" setting but it's still going arrow-up upon zoom in? or do you not know about that setting feature?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:02 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Thanks for the ideas, everybody - I'll try pressing the right-hand menu **** tonight and see if I get those option settings.

Spiffy - I didn't know about any of those options. I looked through the user manual to see how to modify that behavior, but didn't see anything at all.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Better yet, consider getting a Garmin. The 997.1 nav really sucks IMO. Horrible user interface, hard-to-read maps, etc etc.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:30 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, get yourself a PCM 2 manual PDF online if you don't have one and turn to page 70 - read to page 71. Takes less than a minute to find the directions once you have the manual.

In short:

Map Menu - press Rotary **** (16). Menu disappears in 3 secs if you do nothing.

North - by selecting North, the map is oriented North.
Note - If North is not selected, the map is oriented in the direction of travel. With a scale of more than 5km, the map is automatically oriented northward.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 AM
csorrows
Instructor

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Better yet, consider getting a Garmin. The 997.1 nav really sucks IMO. Horrible user interface, hard-to-read maps, etc etc.
Yep - I'm not a big fan of any built-in nav system, Porsche or otherwise. They simply become too dated too fast, and then you're left with a clunker of technology in the car that's useless compared to third-party solutions.

I have a 2004 Jeep, and the built-in nav in that car is laughable it's so outdated. It's also DVD based, which I hate.

When I look at the big electronics module they had to put in the frunk for this solution, I honestly wish the owner hadn't had it installed. But, it's there, and I did have need to look something up in it. It worked okay, but I agree, the maps aren't that good and without a touch screen, it's very clunky to use.

I'll probably get a Garmin anyway and just use the PCM for stereo.

Quick Reply: Any way to change navigation arrow/map behavior?