Sponsored by:

how long will pccb's last under normal street driving use

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Here's my latest input: Approaching 100,000 miles and still on original front and rear pads. Rotors still look great. The small round tell-tales on the PCCB rotors are still not readily visible on my rotors.

My former prediction of 200,000 miles is more like 250,000 now. If you keep a car, and you refrain from driving it stupidly, then the PCCBs will last an extremely long time. There was a guy on the 997 Turbo forum who managed to destroy both this PCCB rotors and the calipers in no time on the track--but I don't think he knew how to drive. (The calipers had literally baked to a rust color from the yellow from massive overheating).

Whenever we get around to our next Porsche (probably a Panamera of some type) we will be getting PCCBs again. Like Para82 states--once you go PCCB you never go back. There is significant engineering behind the PCCBs and that should not be regarded lightly. The payoff is in improved performance, virtually no dust and resultant contamination of the wheels and wheel wells, and vastly better handling and less maintenance requirements. Of course, when the day comes that you have to buy new rotors you can only hope that (1) you have already sold the car or (2) the price of PCCB rotors will be coming down as more and more Porsche drivers switch to what is an excellent brake system and manufacturing processes improve.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
That depends on how many sets of quality steel rotors you have to replace in the same ~200k miles PCCB will last? It's been my experience over the last 40+ years that I have needed new rotors on most performance cars at 40k miles or so; about five sets per 200k miles. So there is not that much of a difference in cost if you are a street only driver.
Not seeing the math here. One set of PCCB rotors is $20K. Five sets of steel rotors is $5K.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:33 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Not seeing the math here. One set of PCCB rotors is $20K. Five sets of steel rotors is $5K.
5k on the high end
Old 11-25-2014, 01:54 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I had my brakes done for 3K total, pads, rotors, clips, bolts....yadayada. Thats almost 7 total brake jobs at the dealer, for 20K.....so I agree, a bit funny math.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish I had pccb's
Old 11-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Here's my latest input: Approaching 100,000 miles and still on original front and rear pads. Rotors still look great. The small round tell-tales on the PCCB rotors are still not readily visible on my rotors.

My former prediction of 200,000 miles is more like 250,000 now. If you keep a car, and you refrain from driving it stupidly, then the PCCBs will last an extremely long time. There was a guy on the 997 Turbo forum who managed to destroy both this PCCB rotors and the calipers in no time on the track--but I don't think he knew how to drive. (The calipers had literally baked to a rust color from the yellow from massive overheating).

Whenever we get around to our next Porsche (probably a Panamera of some type) we will be getting PCCBs again. Like Para82 states--once you go PCCB you never go back. There is significant engineering behind the PCCBs and that should not be regarded lightly. The payoff is in improved performance, virtually no dust and resultant contamination of the wheels and wheel wells, and vastly better handling and less maintenance requirements. Of course, when the day comes that you have to buy new rotors you can only hope that (1) you have already sold the car or (2) the price of PCCB rotors will be coming down as more and more Porsche drivers switch to what is an excellent brake system and manufacturing processes improve.
Can you post pictures? Do you know how thick your pads are? I just replaced all pads at 22,000miles. The front outboard pad was worn to the rivet and making noise. I believe the reason for this was a rock was wedged between the caliper body and pad backing plate. It was so stuck it took me almost 30 minutes to pull the damn thing out without destroying my caliper.

Measured the rotors using a micrometer at 3 separate areas vertically aligned and repeated at 120 & 240 degrees for a total of 9 data points. Rotors seem to be at factory thicknesses.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:38 PM
dmz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
You forgot to add the labor cost for those extra brake swap. I know you can DIY, but most Porsche owners don't have the time or the skills to DIY.

Quick Reply: how long will pccb's last under normal street driving use