Sponsored by:

Windshield pitting....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:36 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Windshield pitting....

Well I have only had my car 2 months and already I am getting a few nicks and pits in my windshield.Of course they are DIRECTLY in my line of eyesight while driving.You could not have put it in a worse place.Do you other members have problems with the windshield getting lots of nicks? Do we just deal with it as part of owning a Porsche? Can you polish out these nicks or small pits especially the one in the drivers view?
Old 12-11-2010, 03:34 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woodranch

There are epoxy repair kits at auto supply stores which should be able to repair small pits. I've had to repair a few track related pits. As long as you get to them before a crack developes the kits work pretty well.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:58 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My windshield is badly pitted all over. It should be replaced, but I keep putting it off for another winter. Maybe next spring.

It does make driving into sun or headlights really hard!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:59 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Well I have only had my car 2 months and already I am getting a few nicks and pits in my windshield.Of course they are DIRECTLY in my line of eyesight while driving.You could not have put it in a worse place.Do you other members have problems with the windshield getting lots of nicks? Do we just deal with it as part of owning a Porsche? Can you polish out these nicks or small pits especially the one in the drivers view?
I noticed the same thing when my car was new and after 25k miles my windshield looks as if I sandblasted it, very distracting in the bright sun. I haven't found anythig that will solve this problem without replacing the windshield and even that is apparently a temporary fix.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:14 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Why are Porsche windshields so much more prone to this then other cars.BMW's that I have had never had this problem...
Old 12-11-2010, 04:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Why are Porsche windshields so much more prone to this then other cars.BMW's that I have had never had this problem...
Apparently I was told (contrary to what many think) because the glass is hard.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
Apparently I was told (contrary to what many think) because the glass is hard.
It must be VERY hard indeed. I was driving up near the PA border last week when a truck kicked up the mother of all stones. It literally sounded like a gunshot when it impacted my windshield! I just waited and waited for that dreaded crack to appear... nothing. When I pulled off at my destination, I looked over every inch of the front - headlights, fogs, strakes in the grille, windshield, mirrors, leading edge of the roof, etc. Nada, zip... Thank you Porsche - I'll deal with the pitting.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:19 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
It must be VERY hard indeed. I was driving up near the PA border last week when a truck kicked up the mother of all stones. It literally sounded like a gunshot when it impacted my windshield! I just waited and waited for that dreaded crack to appear... nothing. When I pulled off at my destination, I looked over every inch of the front - headlights, fogs, strakes in the grille, windshield, mirrors, leading edge of the roof, etc. Nada, zip... Thank you Porsche - I'll deal with the pitting.
Well I did not have your luck and had a small stone cause a pit/crack that subsequently took on a life of it's own. Insurance paid for replacement. As for minor pits and scratches Griott is showing a windshield buffing compound that I may look into.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:06 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Mine is crazy pitted and I keep hoping for a big chip that cracks so I can get a new one. My old BMW 330 was not much better. I think it has a lot to do with how low the car is to the ground. Driving on the highway, I can hear the sand and little pebbles slamming into my windshield, especially when a big truck or bus is in front of me. In my wife's Cayenne, I hear none of that, and the windshield has little to no pitting.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:21 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

I think porsche is known for this issue. I got a chip on the way home from the dealer. (driving clean backroads at 40mph!) Got another one a day later. All in the line of sight.....Now the windshield looks pretty rough at 12K miles. There is nothing to fix this. I spoke with 3 or 4 glass techs and they say that the chips need to be bigger to fix with resins. You can't polish them out. So, I just factor in the cost of a new windshield every 3 years. I am sure to ask to NOT have OEM glass. My last 6 cars were not like this even at 60K miles, so there must be a reason porsche does it. I doubt they are going to tell us why!
I have heard that a new windshield can be had for as little at $800......
Old 12-12-2010, 12:45 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Yes, when I do replace mine I will be sure to request non OEM replacement. It couldn't be any worse and hopefully better.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Yes, when I do replace mine I will be sure to request non OEM replacement. It couldn't be any worse and hopefully better.
Will that be wise? Why is the OEM glass different? Does it pit because it is stronger/more brittle? Is there a structural reason behind it? So many questions...
Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 165 Posts

I bought an 07tt last month and just had to replace the windshield due to s&itbag road workers on rt 1 who didn't clean up after themselves. I was astonished in the positive change - the old windshield with 12k miles was very pitted!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:20 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

I spent $1K for a OEM replacement (that already had a few stone chips) for my cracked windshield from a rock chip. My insurance had a $1K deductible. After the replacement I got the crystal fusion treatment http://www.cftproducts.com/index.htm which warranties for any further cracks. Surprisingly no further stone chips and I travel a lot on mountain passes/highways. Not sure if it is related to the CF though.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:01 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

my 91 964 C2 windshield is still perfect. My 03 turbo looks like it was sandblasted.

Quick Reply: Windshield pitting....