Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think of your 997 as an "exotic"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think of your 997 as an "exotic"?

I was out to dinner last night and pulled into a swanky place and was confronted by a couple of Gallardos, R8s and a Maserati GranTurismo and thought "wow - nice cars!"

I love my Porsche (my first) but looking at those others cars, I get the "wow" feeling - I think of those cars as more special than mine. Price wise, they are in the same ballpark (ish) and Porsches are not all that common around here so there is probably no logical reason for this feeling.

What about you?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 165 Posts

Modern Porsches are wonderful, beautiful automobiles, but there are far too many of them on the road for them to be considered "exotics."
In Southern California you also see lot of P-cars being driven daily to-and-from work, further debunking the whole "exotic" deal.
I actually like the fact that Porsches are real cars, not super-special, big-bling cars.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the only versions in 997 lineup that qualify for exotic is GT2RS and maybe GT3RS. GT2, GT3, and turbo are botherline cases.

Almost all Ferrari and Lambo are exotic. Maserati GT is not exotic at all.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

No, exotics aren't as reliable as the 997.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
No, exotics aren't as reliable as the 997.
OK, you win, none of 997 is exotic.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:50 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

i think we had this discussion not too long ago.....but i don't remember the concensus. Or was there one?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I think 98% of the population would consider a $100K+ automobile with basically two seats and minimal luggage capacity as an exotic. Those of us who own these cars are probably a little desensitized as to what most people think is normal or even rational to spend on a vehicle.

That said, call me irrational, because I don't consider my car an exotic, at least not in the same sense as a Ferrari or Lambo.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

i agree with mike. since we own these cars we have become desensitized. for those who do not own one they would think it as a "wow its a porsche". everything is relative. one thing going against our porsches is the relative number of cars around. fortunately for me where i am there is still very few going around and everywhere i go i get wows. fewer even are the lambos and ferraris, but people here think its stupid to get one because you cant really drive one without overheating the thing or what not..
Old 12-10-2010, 08:08 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just got back from taking my 997 to the UPS store to mail some packages, parked it between two SUV's.

on the way, was stopped at a light next to an identical 997.

on the way home, I did a double-take at the 360 Spider going the other way.

so no, it's not an exotic, at least not in my mind (or zip code )
Old 12-10-2010, 08:14 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

exotic is GT3/GT3RS/Turbo/TurboS

i think normal carrera's are just luxury sports cars..
Old 12-10-2010, 08:14 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not an exotic.

Carrera GT yes.
GT2 yes
GT3 RS maybe
GT3, Turbo, Carrera, no.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Not an exotic.

Carrera GT yes.
GT2 yes
GT3 RS maybe
GT3, Turbo, Carrera, no.
+1 - I think ANY special 911 with limited production numbers would qualify as exotic...

My $0.02,
-B
Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
+1 - I think ANY special 911 with limited production numbers would qualify as exotic...

My $0.02,
-B
even the 14 current "limited production" versions?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fair point. Back in the day, the 94 Flachbau (sp?) and 92 US Cups were certainly exotic... Today, it is more a marketing gimmick.

How about this - "limited production 911s with significant performance or visual enhancements"

(I can't write that with a straight face... I keep thinking of Vanilla Ice's 1989 Gambella travesty....)

To that point though - is a a Ruf or Gambella an exotic?

-B
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think 98% of the population would consider a $100K+ automobile with basically two seats and minimal luggage capacity as an exotic. Those of us who own these cars are probably a little desensitized as to what most people think is normal or even rational to spend on a vehicle.

That said, call me irrational, because I don't consider my car an exotic, at least not in the same sense as a Ferrari or Lambo.
Well, I've been seeing Ferraris around every day since I was a kid, but it's definitely an exotic. I think the difference in our reaction is partly that each of us owns a Porsche, so of course it feels less exotic, and mostly that Porsche shipped the first 911's to a car show fifty odd years ago and by now you can see a 911 on every street in some towns. And even small rural towns are likely to have at least one parked in a back yard somewhere.

Some insurance companies consider the 997 an exotic. Mine does not because of that fifty-year thingie. They can find top quality shops who understand how to work on a Porsche without going to outrageous lengths if someone crashes into mine. They consider a car exotic (and charge appropriately) when they have to truck it a hundred miles to a specialty shop just to repair a minor scrape.

On the other hand, at another discussion group, someone of the marginally hostile personality type answered one of my notes on a completely unrelated subject by remarking that I was no one to talk [about something I've completely forgotten] since I was willing to drive a car that required tires costing $300 each. He being a person I'd as soon never spoke to me in the first place, I responded that I wish he'd tell me where he found them for that bargain price. But that's not relevant. My point is he was the obnoxious tip of a pretty general feeling I suspect. Absent the hostility, I'm sure most people feel that way about those of us who own Porsches.

Cindy and I grew up in Newport Beach where Ferraris and Maseratis and Astons indeed were three to the parking lot. On Balboa and Lido Islands anyway. Now we live in a rural part of California and I guarantee you the people here consider the 997 to be an exotic. Hell, I think they feel that way about the 35-year-old 911 models that predominate in the local PCA chapter. They love our car and I get flattering comments regularly in parking lots, and even at lights, but it certainly is not an ordinary car in their minds. It is not merely expensive, which they see all the time. It is special in that way that means different and exciting. At grocery stores, those kids who bag vie to be the one who gets to load our car.

My grandmother used to say "There's always somebody taller, smarter, or richer. Don't get full of yourself." So our attitude is a healthy one by her standards (and they haven't failed me yet). Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure the rest of the world has to look so far up the car ladder to see the rungs holding Porsches and Ferraris and Lambos that they consider them all clumped together as a bunch of wildly exciting and impractical cars by their own standards.

So yeah, I'd say ours are 'exotics'. Even though my gut agrees with several comments already. Even 'ordinary' Ferraris don't seem that exotic to me. I grew up around them. That Ferrari you buy and leave with the factory to be shipped to tracks occasionally for your diversion, or a Gump[?] or a Panoz or a Fiddlebangermeister... Those are the only cars my gut immediately shouts 'exotic' about.

Gary

Quick Reply: Do you think of your 997 as an "exotic"?