Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think of your 997 as an "exotic"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think 98% of the population would consider a $100K+ automobile with basically two seats and minimal luggage capacity as an exotic. Those of us who own these cars are probably a little desensitized as to what most people think is normal or even rational to spend on a vehicle.

That said, call me irrational, because I don't consider my car an exotic, at least not in the same sense as a Ferrari or Lambo.
+1

And as _Nathan mentioned, perspective - and even locale makes a difference for sure in perception though. I was down in Bainbridge GA (very southwest rural GA) and saw a Cayman in parking lot. Sitting there, it was the most exotic thing in the lot - along with my car (which somehow didn't count to me) - and it really stood out as something special. Whereas in Atlanta, I'd barely give it a thought.

Exotic:

1. of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized: exotic foods; exotic plants.
2. strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance: an exotic hairstyle.
3. of a uniquely new or experimental nature: exotic weapons.
4. of, pertaining to, or involving stripteasing: the exotic clubs where strippers are featured.

I think a 911 barely ranks in the definition though - the 959 and CGT, sure - and the 918 as well if it gets done.

Although, my car does give me a stripper buzz sometimes - it just looks hot.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Even in Houston (which has a surplus of expensive and rare cars) I routinely have people pace me on the road and take pictures/video of my car. That's exotic enough for me.

Maybe it's just the orange wheels. I dunno.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:45 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No, I don't think of the C2S cab as an exotic. I don't even think of the GT3 as one. Just really competent sports cars.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:03 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Even in Houston (which has a surplus of expensive and rare cars) I routinely have people pace me on the road and take pictures/video of my car. That's exotic enough for me.

Maybe it's just the orange wheels. I dunno.
Me too, though I doubt it would happen fifty miles away, around Beverly Hills. Especially since our wheels are silver. Obviously, all this is relative both to our own expectations as to car expenses and also the local culture. Maybe especially the local culture.

We've had people commenting on threads here and at Six Speed that obviously can afford several Porsches but are concerned that their peers -- obviously not in a poor neighborhood -- will think less of them for being ostentatious about their wealth. By owning more than one Porsche that is. And I've read people who hide their single Porsche from business associates, all for similar reasons.

What I find interesting is how often 'exotic' carries a negative connotation, even for people who already own a car that is clearly considered very special -- to say the least -- by the rest of the population.

Gary
Old 12-16-2010, 01:50 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
...Name another rear engine production car...
Here's another exotic rear engine car. The Smart is the only other rear engine car sold in the U.S. besides the 911.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:55 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Haven't read it in a while but I remember the duPont Registry magazine was completely full of 911's. They were represented even more than the Ferraris and Lambos...

-T
Old 12-17-2010, 03:24 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
Haven't read it in a while but I remember the duPont Registry magazine was completely full of 911's. They were represented even more than the Ferraris and Lambos...

-T
They do list some very nice Porsches - and all sort of things that do seem exotic; Atoms, Saleens, Panteras (there's flashback), Veyrons - some truly exotic cars and supercars. There are also some beautiful 60's Vettes and some very unremarkable Saturns.

It's quite the place to get a good car drool going. It looks easier to find a Z8 than an e39 M5.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you can separate the GT3s or Turbos from the others if you're going to have a discussion about perception. For any ordinary person they wouldn't know that there is such a range of engines, suspensions, etc. A 911 is a 911 is a 911. Otherwise, a top performing Mustang should be considered exotic.

Where I live, no one even realises that my 996 is eight years old. I keep it polished people think its brand new. In that sense, it's exotic because people have seen so few of them that they can't determine anything about it, other than it's more expensive than they'll ever be able to afford (little do they know how inexpensive they are now, used).

Quick Reply: Do you think of your 997 as an "exotic"?