Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think of your 997 as an "exotic"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 PM
beowulf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exotic = Ferrari, Pagani, Lambo, Carrera GT, 918 Spyder, McLaren, Spyker, Aston DBS, Buggati, Merc SLR

Near Exotic = Porsche Turbo, GT2, Maserati, Most Aston Martins,

Premium Sports = 997 series with GT3 at upper end; Audi R8, Merc SL

Subpremium Sports = BMW M3, Lotus Evora

Old 12-10-2010, 09:43 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on your perspective. Back when I was in college driving a used '72 Plymouth I would have considered any Porsche an exotic.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
So yeah, I'd say ours are 'exotics'. Even though my gut agrees with several comments already. Even 'ordinary' Ferraris don't seem that exotic to me. I grew up around them. That Ferrari you buy and leave with the factory to be shipped to tracks occasionally for your diversion, or a Gump[?] or a Panoz or a Fiddlebangermeister... Those are the only cars my gut immediately shouts 'exotic' about.

Gary
Funny, Gary, I almost hesitated to list Ferrari as an exotic in my original post as well. What immediately came to mind were cars like Pagini, Koenigsegg, Zonda, (didn't think of Fiddlebangermeister), etc.; almost like Ferrari was too common. Anyway, enjoyed your post.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 PM
eamesonly
Cruisin'

it's way better--it's a bubble of art. I was looking at it while having my first service done just saying to myself it's soo simple there's nothing on the road like it and in it's simplicity there is everything. Everything that no amount of bling could buy..

the way it handles as if it built on a circle, any direction you point it... But then you look at it from the side and the fairings of the side flow out.. the *** end. The cute understated front rounded with round headlights. Mean, happy, sexy, powerful... I really can't think of anything... And i know when i got it the wives of my friends were all pissed and my friends were giddy/excited--thinking when can i get one?

the natgeo had the horton wing aircraft the stealth fighter from 1942... I don't know what or where they came up with these designs but the car and the plane are and will be 40-50 years of ahead of their time...
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

From the day I got my drivers license, Porsche was my dream. The first three days I couldn't believe it I actually own one. The next three months I was still high from the experience. Then, as time and miles piled on, it became just a really awsome car. Recently I rented a Chevy Aveo for a month. When I got back into my Porker, I can tell you for sure: IT IS AS EXOTIC AS THEY COME!
Get a grip on reality, you spoiled brats. You drive a Porsche! How many of your high school buddies do that?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
i think we had this discussion not too long ago.....but i don't remember the concensus. Or was there one?
Yes, I recall that thread, it was a poll.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...an-exotic.html

The majority voted it was not an exotic. But from my point of view, 997 owners are not a typical sample of the car buying population. Post this question to a general forum of say dog owners, I'd bet more would view the 911 Carrera as an exotic.

So for this forum and for strict car enthusiasts, "no" it is not. To the general public at large, it very well maybe an exotic.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Is the Porsche 911 exotic? No way; not even close.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:47 PM
pttrash
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 Mspeedster and anyone else who basically said the same thing.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:52 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I was out to dinner last night and pulled into a swanky place and was confronted by a couple of Gallardos, R8s and a Maserati GranTurismo and thought "wow - nice cars!"

I love my Porsche (my first) but looking at those others cars, I get the "wow" feeling - I think of those cars as more special than mine. Price wise, they are in the same ballpark (ish) and Porsches are not all that common around here so there is probably no logical reason for this feeling.

What about you?
it is not an exotic, it is an affordable real sport car. not every exotic car is a sport car, there is plenty of difference there.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
i think we had this discussion not too long ago.....but i don't remember the concensus. Or was there one?
Yes there was - the 997 IS an exotic because its pictured on www.exoticcarspotters.com.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
From the day I got my drivers license, Porsche was my dream. The first three days I couldn't believe it I actually own one. The next three months I was still high from the experience. Then, as time and miles piled on, it became just a really awsome car. Recently I rented a Chevy Aveo for a month. When I got back into my Porker, I can tell you for sure: IT IS AS EXOTIC AS THEY COME!
Get a grip on reality, you spoiled brats. You drive a Porsche! How many of your high school buddies do that?
Agreed.

Interestingly, most people assume I bought my car because it's a "Porsh", when in reality, I bought it because of the engineering, the styling, the history, etc. The badge on the nose has never been a concern of mine. I suppose that's why I'm not infatuated with Ferraris, Lambos, etc. - too many horror stories about breakdowns, ridiculous maintenance bills, on and on. Porsches on the other hand always have stories about how they drive up the Alps in the winter, drive to the track, race, drive home, etc.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

I bought my first one because it was the only sports car that had back seats for my kids. I don't know that I'd switch to anything else now.

It's exotic enough for me.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:35 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Bought a Porsche in Seattle. Drove cross country home. Saw one Porsche during all those highway miles near Denver. Drove the last few miles in South Florida of I-95 east going home. Counted in the last 5 miles getting there 5 Porsches, 2 Ferraris and a Murcia. It's relative where you live and how it makes you feel.
If you love your Porsche, it's exotic to be with that car like the woman you desire.

I like mine both.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:14 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I do not consider my car exotic, but the 14 year old boys at the stoplight do, and so do the folks in my office parking lot, not to mention the dealership service department!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:47 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Anyone who doesn't think the 997 is exotic is desensitized. Hell, the 997 is virtually the benchmark of all supercar tests! When you stop to consider that even the Boxster has performance rivaling the early-80s Lamborghini Countach whose poster I had on my wall beside the early-80s 911 Turbo (whose performance is also bested by the Boxster), you have to admit that our perspective is a little... spoiled.

I think a lot of our arguments in this thread are semantics about the word "exotic", as it means different things to different people. If you live in Beverly Hills, everyone's got one. I'll go days in VA Beach without seeing another Porsche, though. If you want to get technical about it, the dictionary definition of "exotic" simply means it was imported from another country. You must append the word "supercar" to it to have meaning, otherwise we'd be talking about exotic Peugeots and Citroens. We live in a world where supercars are actually affordable to middle class Americans. And yes, it is a GREAT world! It takes a new word- "hypercar"- to define the totally obscene limits of technology.

Quick Reply: Do you think of your 997 as an "exotic"?