Sponsored by:

Spare tires, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:36 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
With low profile tires like 18" 40s or 19" 35 you can just drive on the rim and destroy the tire and wheel on the very rare occurance of a flat. It should cost less than $1500.00 for a new wheel and tire. Unless you are running BBS magnesium wheels.
How far do you think you can go like that? I'm thinking a distance so short that I'd soon save the $1500 and wait for RA. But for incidents in the real world - the one with spotty cell service and miles to go before you sleep - a spare is a better bet.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

With low profile tires like 18" 40s or 19" 35 you can just drive on the rim and destroy the tire and wheel on the very rare occurance of a flat. It should cost less than $1500.00 for a new wheel and tire. Unless you are running BBS magnesium wheels.
Really? You're kidding, right?
Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 PM
morecarl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that on TV once after someone ran over a spike strip.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:08 AM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone with real life experience or opinions on Rhinotire?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:47 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm late to the spare tire worry group (just read the account of your 22+ hour ordeal, OMG) so I apologize for asking a question that's probably already been answered somewhere else.

Will the spare tire shown in the link below fit it the frunk? My harness bar precludes placing it in back as intended. Are there better frunk spare options? I can fit a couple of duffle bags over and behind the harness bar so if I have to give up the space in front on a trip, so be it.

Carrera Spare Tire Kit
Thanks for the link, much appreciated.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:55 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. I'll shop around, but I think I'm going for the Suncoast kit. All the pieces in one package at what I'm sure is a competitive price based on my previous dealings with them.
Talk to the Suncoast guys about the rear seat mount before you order - that "cradle" for the tire is ~$100 - that you don't need to order.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:06 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by zanwar
Thanks for the link, much appreciated.
My pleasure.

Originally Posted by stevepow
Talk to the Suncoast guys about the rear seat mount before you order - that "cradle" for the tire is ~$100 - that you don't need to order.
I had thought about that, but thanks!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this happen last summer, in a very populated area of NH. I waited 4 hours for a AAA ramp truck to show up. Apparently AAA will only send a "certified exotic car trained driver". Only one of which exisits in southern NH..
THe local and state police showed up to giggle that the $100K car doesn't have a spare. One guy asked me, "what kind of car is that" Duhh!!!

It did cost me around 1500 for a nice summer ride in cowhampshire
Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2010, 01:07 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Sounds crazy but in an emergency it may well be very possible. I once watched an LA police chopper film a chase that went on for like 2 hours at times nearly 100 mph and the guy was missing at least 2 tires.

Too bad the runflat tire has not been perfected. Seems like the perfect solution. But BMW uses them, and I'm told the ride is exceptionally harsh and I imagine not up to the roadholding expectations of Porsche and Porsche owners.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:16 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JW911
Sounds crazy but in an emergency it may well be very possible. I once watched an LA police chopper film a chase that went on for like 2 hours at times nearly 100 mph and the guy was missing at least 2 tires.

Too bad the runflat tire has not been perfected. Seems like the perfect solution. But BMW uses them, and I'm told the ride is exceptionally harsh and I imagine not up to the roadholding expectations of Porsche and Porsche owners.
I RFs on my 550i - didn't seem harsh and the handling was decent the few times I took it up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Of course a 550i is no 180MPH track car so maybe there's some reasoning behind that and a BMW doesn't handle like a 911 and a lot of these car's feel comes from the rubber.

Ironically, the 550i also included a donut spare and I would have put Pilot Sports on it had I ever needed new tires before my lease was up.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by JW911
Our cars have fairly minimal ground clearance as it is. With a tire cut down, lots of choice (and expensive) underbody parts and mechanical bits would be at risk, not to mention the strain and potential harm to driveline, suspension, and brakes. Add in the body damage after driving for miles with a shredded, flailing tire and you'd likely be talking a lot more than $1500 for a wheel and new rubber.

Unless I was fleeing a nuclear attack or being chased by terrorists or something, I think I'd pass on the example of the fool in the police film, and go with another alternative.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:00 PM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
Default run flats suck

Our 5 Series Bimmer came with Dunlop run-flats. I hated them. Very harsh and noisy. Rears were shot with 17,000 miles, fronts were fine. Finally pulled them off and put on Conti Extreme Contact DW's (not run flats) at 1/2 the price of the Dunlops. The Conti's are soooo very quiet and smooth compared. They come very highly rated from Tirerack.

On the Carrera S my rear PS2's lasted 12,000 . Swapped them to the NEW Pirelli PZero N2's. So far I like 'em but we'll see as they get a bit more wear. After the experience with the BWM I would not put run flats on the Porsche even if they were available.

Any comments on Rhinotire??

Last edited by LeNoah; 12-19-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-19-2010, 11:57 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the stories..... I just imagined myself along some highway, in cold temps, trying to squeeze the crap out of the bottle of goop, in the hopes that at some point during the evening, I might actually make it home.

Last night I just picked up a 996 spare for my 997 for $225 and hope I never have to use it nor the bottle of black goop.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Our cars have fairly minimal ground clearance as it is. With a tire cut down, lots of choice (and expensive) underbody parts and mechanical bits would be at risk, not to mention the strain and potential harm to driveline, suspension, and brakes.
Very good point
Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My C4S is the best touring car that I have ever had and I love to use it for trips but I am hesitant because of the risk of a flat tire. I fear breaking down in an isolated area without cell coverage and, almost as worrying, I worry about getting a replacement wheel and tire(s) in a reasonable time frame.

I have driven across the USA (and back) in an Audi Allroad and a Cayman S. I've had two flats but fortunately, they were both in relatively accessible areas. Even so, each incident cost me a lost day or two. Unlike some here, I am not competent to plug tires myself.

I am headed to Vermont over Christmas. One of my previous flats was in Maine. Being stuck with everything closed and the temperature well below zero is worrying. Probably nothing will happen but it seems to me that a car as competent as a Porsche should not burden its owners with uncertainty about the wisdom of driving it in the way for which it is intended.

How much should I worry? Are there any precautions that I should take? And is driving cross-country a bad idea?

Quick Reply: Spare tires, etc.