Sponsored by:

Spare tires, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Guys, shop this darn thing around... I paid under $300. for the same setup you're willing to pay 1K$ for.
The tire, tools, cover, etc. and it was new..... No reason to pay three times the money for the same thing.

Suncoast is a great resource and I love em' but......
This may be true, but given what I'm seeing on eBay, I'm not sure I want to spend 6 months digging up all the separate parts from a variety of vendors, including somewhat dubious looking spare wheels themselves. If I could inspect the stuff first hand.. great.

Whats a good place to find the parts. A quick glance at things listed under porsche spare on eBay looked mighty scary. (as in, I'd not trust some of those spares to hold air when I needed them to).
Old 12-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
You realize that Germany is only the size of New Mexico yet you want to compare the amount of roads in the USA to Germany?
So true! The total area of Germany amounts to 3.7% of the entire USA.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:47 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Optionally that tire can also be placed in the frunk, but it doesn't mount to anything. For frunk storage, a Das Schild frunk hood liner is probably a good precautiom - in fact Das Schild seems like a good idea to me regardless of the spare.
Has anyone come up with a creative way of securing a spare in the frunk to preclude the possibility of it bouncing or shifting around over bumps and possibly damaging the hood?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:22 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Has anyone come up with a creative way of securing a spare in the frunk to preclude the possibility of it bouncing or shifting around over bumps and possibly damaging the hood?
My spare fits very cleanly into the trunk and I use a large towel to firm it in place. Also,
I figure I'll need something to lay on while wrestling with the tire during replacement. I imagine if you rolled the car it might be a problem but short of that it's not much of a worry....
I tried deflating the spare to see if it fit better but I'm going to re-inflate it to save myself the time spent putting air back in it on the side of the road. It's a better fit inflated...
Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Guys, shop this darn thing around... I paid under $300. for the same setup you're willing to pay 1K$ for.
The tire, tools, cover, etc. and it was new..... No reason to pay three times the money for the same thing.

Suncoast is a great resource and I love em' but......
It is not the same unfortunately. The 17x5 collapsible spare, cover, and seat cradle will rarely if ever (I'd say never) show up on eBay because no cars come this way in the US. But you can get the 996 inflated 17x3.5 version pretty cheap. For C4 owners, that probably won't work.

I just search eBay for "Porsche Spare Tire" - that's all you need to see what is currently available. The one I got (17x3.5) was in brand new condition from a dismantler.

Last edited by stevepow; 12-28-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
So true! The total area of Germany amounts to 3.7% of the entire USA.
But the population of Germany is about 26.5% of that of the United States.
Germany has about 14.7% of the paved roadway miles of the United States.
So they do have about 1.8x the amount of tax payers per road mile, which suggest there is more tax money available per mile to build/maintain the roads. However...

If you look at where the population concentration of the United States is, I can understand that we have less maintenance of roads in regions of very low population density and very low road usage.

However, whats the excuse for our roads being so crappy in areas of high population density, with high road usage?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
However, whats the excuse for our roads being so crappy in areas of high population density, with high road usage?
Something has to pay for the gov't union pensions....

Quick Reply: Spare tires, etc.