Sponsored by:

Extending factory warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Extending factory warranty?

I am in the market for a 997 and definitely want to pursue a 997.1 either still under factory warranty or cpo'd.
From looking at previous it threads, it seems that the original warranty can be extended 2 years prior to the end of the original factory warranty.

Do you have to be the original owner to purchase an extended warranty through the dealer?

thanks in advance
Old 12-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

My buddy bought an 06 997.1S w/o warranty and stopped by the dealership on his way home from buying it and bought an afetrmarket warranty. It's nowhere near as inclusive as the factory 4 year warranty but it was decent. It's already paid half the cost when his water pump started leaking and was replaced.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:04 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm happy the aftermarket warranty worked out for your buddy, but I would rather self-insure than go with an aftermarket warranty.

I am actually wondering about extending the original warranty through porsche...
Old 12-05-2010, 11:48 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The only way to get an extended warranty is to A) purchase a CPO car from a dealer or B) purchase a CPO car from the current owner. SOme cars at Porsache dealerships may not be CPO cars, but many will pass a CPO inspection and will therefore be eligible for a CPO warranty.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a big fan of CPO'ed vehicles and specifically sought out a CPO'ed car on my recent 997.1 purchase. I don't know the answer to your specific question:

Do you have to be the original owner to purchase an extended warranty through the dealer?

My guess would be yes.

I have heard about a buyer and independent seller that worked out a deal with a dealership in that the dealer agreed to perform a CPO on the independent sellers car. The independent buyer agreed in advance to pay the labor for the CPO process as well as the cost of parts and labor to bring the car to CPO standards.

After that the dealership CPO'ed the car and brokered the deal. (I'm sure for a small fee) I have to believe that this type of arrangement would only occur with a very willing and easy to deal with authorized Porsche dealership. The total cost would be dependent on the condition of the car.

I found that angle interesting and creative but it would seem simpler to find a already CPO'ed car of your liking at a Porsche dealership.

I had a dealership offer to CPO a 997.1 currently in their inventory at my expense, but it was obvious upon inspection of said vehicle why it hadn't CPO'ed and I walked.

I have always chosen to lessen my risk by even one more step beyond the CPO. I'll only buy the CPO'ed car from the same dealership that delivered the car new and is a one owner. With that being the case the dealership will also typically give you a print out of all the maintenance from day one.

Dealer's keep the best cars for themselves before sending off to auction.

The rough cars end up at auction within 30-60 days of trade in and then end up a dealership that likes to buy used on the cheap and flip for $$ to the emotional uneducated buyer.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
stacheman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Canada you can now purchase an extended factory warranty as long as you are the original owner.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to recheck this. I have a '07 997.1. The warranty will expire in Feb 2011. I recently called my dealer and was told that I could not buy a Porsche extended warranty. They could sell me an aftermarket warranty.

Can anybody definitively tell me if they actually have a Porsche US warranty that is greater than 4 years that they themselves purchased?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:21 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jplanaux
I need to recheck this. I have a '07 997.1. The warranty will expire in Feb 2011. I recently called my dealer and was told that I could not buy a Porsche extended warranty. They could sell me an aftermarket warranty.

Can anybody definitively tell me if they actually have a Porsche US warranty that is greater than 4 years that they themselves purchased?
My dealer told me the exact same thing....exact! And the aftermarket warranties are astoundingly expensive! So expensive in fact that it really doesn't make any sense to buy one.

Tom
Old 12-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Bought my 07 997.01 in June CPO with 46K miles/original warranty expires Jan 2011. I was offered the Porsche extended warranty - 2 yrs or 100,000 miles for $2K. Knowing the cost of repairs - even smaller ones can set you back without warranty protection, I bought it and glad I did. Peace of mind. Also, i had a few issues that were covered already. For what you are looking for - buy CPO from your local Porsche dealer, work the best price you can and buy their extended warranty. Your dealer service mgr should get to know you by first name and vice versa and they will take care of you in times of need.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
Bought my 07 997.01 in June CPO with 46K miles/original warranty expires Jan 2011. I was offered the Porsche extended warranty - 2 yrs or 100,000 miles for $2K. Knowing the cost of repairs - even smaller ones can set you back without warranty protection, I bought it and glad I did. Peace of mind. Also, i had a few issues that were covered already. For what you are looking for - buy CPO from your local Porsche dealer, work the best price you can and buy their extended warranty. Your dealer service mgr should get to know you by first name and vice versa and they will take care of you in times of need.
I'm confused. Doesn't the CPO process already extend the original warranty by 2 years and 50K miles? If so, why buy a CPO'd car and then pay extra for an extended warranty?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:26 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by troppo
I am in the market for a 997 and definitely want to pursue a 997.1 either still under factory warranty or cpo'd.
From looking at previous it threads, it seems that the original warranty can be extended 2 years prior to the end of the original factory warranty.

thanks in advance
we are considering buying our car at the end of the lease.
i won't do so without extended warranty.
will be talking to the dealer in a week to find out about options and will report back.

Craig
Old 12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
I'm confused. Doesn't the CPO process already extend the original warranty by 2 years and 50K miles? If so, why buy a CPO'd car and then pay extra for an extended warranty?
I think so - it added this to mine
Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

My 2007 car was advertised as a CPO with 46K miles with the dealer. Dealer was willing to sell without CPO and knock $2 grand off. Regardless, I still had original warranty left until Jan 2011 or up to 50K miles. $2K to keep it as a CPO which added the 2yrs and/or 50K miles. I may have misspoke or didn't explain it correctly.

Quick Reply: Extending factory warranty?