Sponsored by:

Battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:21 AM
cs pilot
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery issue

I tried searching the forum before bugging all of you guys.

My car was dead with the key in the ignition. I went through the steps to pop the trunk and get the key out. I proceeded to jump the car, however when I would try to start it, all of the lights would just flash. Does this mean I need a new battery or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks a million!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:58 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Leaving the key in the ignition drains the battery. Your battery was probably low or with a bad element and the key draw depleted it. You may try to use a trickle charger (OEM or CTek) to see if the battery recovers, but chances are you need a new battery.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:25 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cs pilot
I tried searching the forum before bugging all of you guys.

My car was dead with the key in the ignition. I went through the steps to pop the trunk and get the key out. I proceeded to jump the car, however when I would try to start it, all of the lights would just flash. Does this mean I need a new battery or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks a million!
That happened when you tried to jump it? If so, your jump source was too weak. If you get it started you need to drive it for a while - like 30-45 minutes at least so it will start on it's own next time. And drive somewhere on the highway, not idling in the driveway.

And, you may need a new battery.

If you drive infrequently and/or make short trips mostly (10 miles or less), then you will kill the battery in 2-3 years. Supposedly using a battery maintainer (Porsche, CTEK, etc) will prevent this - I'll know in another 18 months or so.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:20 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't know if the lights flashing indicates a battery problem, but I got a new battery that died after less than a year because the car was just sitting for lengthy periods. So a battery can die in a relatively short period if not maintained. (Fortunately got a new replacement under the Interstate warranty.)
Old 12-10-2010, 12:28 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

if you have the original battery and it's 3yrs old or more, simply replace it as it's on borrowed time.

Direct fit replacement is a size 94R or H& by Interstate. Don't go by what the auto-part store has listed as many have a size 49 listed, which is about 2" longer.

You can buy a great 94R at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club. Battery is made by Johnson Controls
Old 12-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Boatsonthebrain
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonKM
if you have the original battery and it's 3yrs old or more, simply replace it as it's on borrowed time.

Direct fit replacement is a size 94R or H& by Interstate. Don't go by what the auto-part store has listed as many have a size 49 listed, which is about 2" longer.

You can buy a great 94R at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club. Battery is made by Johnson Controls
Just replaced my original Porsche/Moll battery proactively with an Interstate MTP-91 (with the breather kit). Car is a DD and with winter coming on here in the Northeast I wanted to head off any potential issues.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:58 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonKM

Ditto on the MAXX94R - direct fit - $77 plus a warranty that doesn't require driving 6,000 miles a year.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 PM
jca3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Ditto on the MAXX94R - direct fit - $77 plus a warranty that doesn't require driving 6,000 miles a year.
+2

I did the MaxxStart 94R from Walmart. Plugged a Battery Tender into the cig lighter and lost no settings in the swap out. 5 minute job. When you buy the battery, they charge you $9 for a core deposit, which is credited if you bring them your old battery (with the added plus that you get rid of the thing).

When you see the Wally mart battery, you'll quickly realize that it's exactly the same as higher priced "big brand" models. Frankly I didn't care about saving money as much as the convenience of getting the job done quickly.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:22 PM
cs pilot
Intermediate

I went ahead and purchased the MAXX94R. Their little computer recommended the 49R, which was much larger.

After installation the car started right up. However, an icon appeared saying "PSM failure", as well as "PASM failure". The "Sport" button will not work either.

Help me! AHHH
Old 12-10-2010, 05:28 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I went ahead and purchased the MAXX94R. Their little computer recommended the 49R, which was much larger.

After installation the car started right up. However, an icon appeared saying "PSM failure", as well as "PASM failure". The "Sport" button will not work either.

Help me! AHHH
it is a known issue that homelink garage opener and heat on seats does not work after battery slowly dies as ECU turns off equipment one by one but I do not remember what can turn it on - most likely you will need a PIWIS session with dealer or other mechanic who has it.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:58 PM
cs pilot
Intermediate

Just drove around for a little bit and everything is working and back to normal!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:31 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Just drove around for a little bit and everything is working and back to normal!
Check to make sure your windows don't need to reset - it's in the owners manual.

Quick Reply: Battery issue