Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't trust the miles of fuel left?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:04 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Can't trust the miles of fuel left?

I got an unexpected 2 mile run alongside the Mass Pike today. I haven't run out of fuel in about 16 years but embarassingly it happened today.

The dash said 13 miles left and then WITHIN A MILE it dropped to 9 and then -- and then the engine died. Anyone have this experience? The 13 miles gave me a false sense of hope.. it was only 3 miles to the next exit.

Luckily a trooper picked me up and gave me a ride when he saw me jogging. It goes to show that there's a mix of good and bad police out there. It really offset some of the negative experiences I've had in the past.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Hasn't been my experience at all, and I've run both my 997s down to fumes on many occasions. Predictable range decreases reported all the way down to the low single digits every time.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:20 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I've actually had the oppostie experience, it said I got 10 miles left, and I could go for 20miles and even when it said I had 0 miles, I could go on for quite a bit...
Old 11-29-2010, 06:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
I got an unexpected 2 mile run alongside the Mass Pike today. I haven't run out of fuel in about 16 years but embarassingly it happened today.

The dash said 13 miles left and then WITHIN A MILE it dropped to 9 and then -- and then the engine died. Anyone have this experience? The 13 miles gave me a false sense of hope.. it was only 3 miles to the next exit.

Luckily a trooper picked me up and gave me a ride when he saw me jogging. It goes to show that there's a mix of good and bad police out there. It really offset some of the negative experiences I've had in the past.
It could have been a bad measurement or the measurement might have been correct but you you may have water in your tank. Water accumulates at the bottom. Something to think about.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't run out of gas in the 911 but did when I was 16. I was going up a hill when the car just stubbled and died on me. I had the car towed to my shop at the time and told them I was low of fuel. So, being the easiest thing to do, they put a couple gallons in and started right up.... I was thankful it was at least a cheap "fix"......
Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

If it was water the pump would suck the water, no? That's create a hard to start situation even after a refill. The water should be on the bottom or at least mixed up.... and even if there was water I don't think there would be 10 miles (1/3 gallon) of water that would trick the level sensor so greatly.

Thinking maybe that I have a level sensor that's going bad or something. I might have to run it down to zero with a spare gallon in the frunk a few times to be sure.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:57 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Was the car going uphill or downhill during the last mile? I wonder if the last little fuel was tilted to the side/corner of the tank, and somehow the fuel pump pickups couldn't get to it.

Regards,
Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Possibly... I finally stalled on a subtle downhill but it was very subtle. I'm not familiar with the tank/pump arrangement on this car but usually there's a slight depression in the center-ish part of the tank and the pump is located there on the cars i've worked on.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Was the car going uphill or downhill during the last mile? I wonder if the last little fuel was tilted to the side/corner of the tank, and somehow the fuel pump pickups couldn't get to it.
Porsche fuel tanks are designed not to exhibit this sort of problem because it's a detriment on the track. Some cars (the 370Z is particularly bad) can have fuel starvation issues under cornering with as much as a half full tank. The 997 can run down to less than a gallon and still manage >1G cornering/braking loads without complaint.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Kuhan
Racer

I'm sure the calculation is based on how you are driving. I have had the red light come on showing less than 50miles to empty after some spirited driving and then the indicator go up to 80+ miles to empty when I start behaving myself.

That's why I only trust the indicator after some spirited driving. If you are cruising at 60mph in 6th, the indicator may tell you you have 50 miles left but as soon as you pull off the highway and into stop-start traffic, the indicator may drop to the 10s or 20s very quickly.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have run my car a bit further than after it said "range 0" --lucky you were not on the autobahn, you would have gotten a ticket for running out of fuel!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Speaking of the autobahn, spent the summer in France in '04 and had a Renault (Megane) to drive for the entire time. It was the first time I ever had a car with a "Km's left" option on the speedometer display. Anyway, it only worked until you got down to about 50 Kms left and then displayed the message "get fuel now" (well, that's my poor translation of what it said in French - it could have said "Stupid American, don't test me"). Always thought that was a good idea just so people wouldn't trust the readout that the manufacturers always tell you not to trust.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
--lucky you were not on the autobahn, you would have gotten a ticket for running out of fuel!
Another "+1" for Germany!

Who runs out of gas? C'mon get it together guys!

Geez!

Personally, I get NEAR a 1/4 tank and I take care of it. Who needs a big traffic jam delay AND the fear terminal gas consumption?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:01 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have run the cars pretty low too. The gauge was very accurate.

Just remember, it states something in the Owner's Manual, that you should not use full throttle accelerations when the low fuel warning light illuminates. I don't know why, but I do heed the advice given.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Road Cone
6th Gear

Keep in mind that gasoline is the lubricant for your fuel pump.
If you drive with less than 1/4 tank you'll run the risk of overheating the fuel pump which in turn leads to a shorter life span for the pump.
It's especially important for the DFI cars as they are prone to pump failures.
It's easiest to just fill up at 1/4 tank and not harm the pump.

Quick Reply: Can't trust the miles of fuel left?