Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't trust the miles of fuel left?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Fuel is generally picked up from the bottom of the tank. This prevents water from accumulating in the tank.

Your fuel sending unit is probably not accurate. This is not that rare and can be caused by deposits accumulating on the sensor as a result of sulfur interacting with the additives in the fuel. I had experienced this with an Audi I owned years ago.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Cone
Keep in mind that gasoline is the lubricant for your fuel pump.
If you drive with less than 1/4 tank you'll run the risk of overheating the fuel pump which in turn leads to a shorter life span for the pump.
It's especially important for the DFI cars as they are prone to pump failures.
It's easiest to just fill up at 1/4 tank and not harm the pump.
The advice is good in general, except that the DFI car's pump that was problematic on early series cars was the HPFP which is not the one inside the tank, and its problems have nothing to do with fuel level.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Inclines do affect the fuel flow, so if the road was sloping one way to provide a good average reading and then reversed direction, the average reading on miles remaining would change slowly, while the physical orientation can starve the pumps of fuel real quick.

Also, when you fill up the gas, if you do not do a complete fill up, you confuse the remaining range and fuel gauge sensor. I did that once, Had it down to 1/16 tank left, put in 1/8 more to get me to a cheaper pump then filled up there... with the tank full the gauge only showed 3/4 full. So incomplete fills confuse the system, it must reset at the max fill level, or somewhere past 1/2 full. Something in the manual about that too, I think.

Quick Reply: Can't trust the miles of fuel left?