Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Car Delivery - Port, Dealer - Who Does What?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts
Default New Car Delivery - Port, Dealer - Who Does What?

I was asked this question at dinner last night, and I didn't really know the answer.

When a new Porsche comes from Germany to the U.S., what does Porsche do to the cars at the P.O.E. (port of entry)?

And then, what does the dealer do before customer delivery?

I know a number of Rennlisters know the answers. TIA.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

1 - POE - PCNA has receiving facilities at the entry port (San Diego in your case), where they unload the car and do a prelim check. They may perform repairs if needed.
2 - PCNA ships the car to the dealer in an enclosed car transporter.
3 - The dealer performs the delivery PPI - the car arrives covered with protective sheets which are removed and a number of checks are made, including turning off 'limp mode'.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Thank you, sir! That's what I wanted to know.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

If you want the number for the San Diego stevedores (Pasha) let me know! I called them when mine was in port to check on it and they certainly knew my car!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:03 PM
tinkll1
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 22 Posts

The above dialogue has been very helpful. I wonder if someone might know how to track a 911 Turbo S with a VIN created on Friday, January 21st from Zuffenhausen to Kornwestheim via Deutsche Bahn and their logistics team to the Baltic port (Emden or Bremerhaven?), loading (?Pasha), trans-Atlantic to San Diego (Pasha, again) then auto-transporter (?) to Long Beach.

It's been an interesting quest, and learning experience.... my 7th and last Porsche!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Once you have the name of the ship carrying your Porsche west, you can track its progress (sort of) using this website:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

I say "sort of" because the tracking only works when the ship is within 50 miles of shore. Out on the open sea, no tracking.

When my 11/23/10 build left Germany, it was taken off the ship in Newark (not a Porsche port of entry, by the way) and trucked to Santa Barbara Porsche. I took delivery on 12/28/10.

While this is somewhat unusual, it's not unheard of for Porsche to deviate from usual delivery protocol (POE San Diego) occasionally. Or, so I was told.

If your car is on a ship full of Porsches and Audis (they usually transport together), it will first stop in Rhode Island, then Georgia, then Texas, before heading through the Panama Canal up to San Diego. However, it's far more likely your ship will have many marques on it, which means more stops than just the Porsche/Audi ports-of-call.

Good luck. The waiting puts the calendar in super slo-mo.

Quick Reply: New Car Delivery - Port, Dealer - Who Does What?