Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good twisty roads near Rancho Cucamonga, CA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 04:21 AM
lavanmar586
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercars Forum

Still route 2 road is closed and why this road is closed.

Rancho Cucamonga CA Locksmith
Old 05-06-2014, 11:19 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I used to live in Vista and would go sport biking on Ortega highway. Lots of motorcycles in the morning so be ready to deal with that, at least there used to be. It's pretty legendary among motorcyclists. It is a great long stretch of curves. Drive down about 45 minutes to Lake Elsinore then take 74 West.

The Palomar Mountain area is also a great ride as suggested by previous posts but is a bit farther. Highway 79 is a good cruise out that way.

To your north the suggestions for Hwy 2 (The Crest aka Los Angeles Crest Highway) are good and it is also pretty legendary for its curves and is quite long. At bit boring at the east end, but once you get up in the mountains it is a good ride.

Finally, be aware of Willow Springs raceway up near Palmdale. Maybe you can find some events up there that would be of interest.

None of these may hit your definition of "near", but they are some of the best rides I've had and worth the extra bit of distance occasionally.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:47 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on Palomar Mountain. I live in San Diego and approach from the South. Lots of bikes on a weekend morning, with photographers camped out along the way. There's a nice breakfast joint close to the observatory.

Someone already mentioned Idlewild, which is easily accessible on non-mountain roads. Similarly, Wrightwood to the North of you off the 15 grade is an a nice drive, but there is not much when you get there.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:03 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I think lavanmar586 is a spambot. This thread is from 2010!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:03 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
I think lavanmar586 is a spambot. This thread is from 2010!
Ooops, I clearly missed that. Thanks mattyf.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Marshal_Mercer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baldy Mountain Road and Glendora Mountain Road will fit the bill nicely. One may start at Mt. Baldy and head toward Azusa Canyon, or take the reverse route. Be prepared for 10 MPH curves.
If Angeles Crest Highway is open (I don't know if it is), there is a nice 250 mile loop from Big Bear Lake (the back side), to Wrightwood, to Newcomb's Ranch Rest., to the Mt. Wilson observatory, to Lake Silverwood, to La Canada. One could go all the way to Sunland if desired, then take the 210 Freeway to the 10 Freeway, back.

Quick Reply: Good twisty roads near Rancho Cucamonga, CA?