Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Porsche legal problems in GA

Completely out of the blue I received this post card today:

Notice to Porsche Owners in Georgia

If you leased, purchased or registered your new motor vehicle in Georgia, you are not required to submit your dispute to NCDS or CAP-Motors prior to filing for state-operated arbitration with the Governor's Office of Consumer Protection (OCP).

if you with to proceed to state-operated arbitration, go to www.consumer.ga.gov/lemonlaw or contact OCP at xxx-xxx-xxxx for further information.

Umm...say what? Anyone have any background info on this?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:44 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who sent it?
Old 11-25-2010, 01:10 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Got the same thing - was just about to post. It comes from the GA state government consumer protection.

The WEB address on it is for generic Lemon Law info for Georgia - nothing specific on Porsche.

Now that I read it more carefully, I suspect that all GA car buyers got one for recent purchases - just to clarify the lemon law. Either that or some Porsche information provided at purchase was out of date or incorrect and this updates it.

At least I hope there's no good reason - that I'm soon to discover - for filing a lemon law claim with Porsche.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:11 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

That's what I wondered. It looks like a lemon law form letter, but the fact it is addresses to "porsche owner" made me wonder.

I tend to think you may be on track about some form or paperwork Porsche has been using being out of date or in error.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:00 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

If I understand properly, lemon laws protect your rights to warranty repairs. If your IMS blew and Porsche dealer refused to replace it, you could invoke this law.

I think this applies to used vehicles, too, if there was something seriously wrong that the dealer knew but did not disclose, like indications of a failing headgasket.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
If I understand properly, lemon laws protect your rights to warranty repairs. If your IMS blew and Porsche dealer refused to replace it, you could invoke this law.

I think this applies to used vehicles, too, if there was something seriously wrong that the dealer knew but did not disclose, like indications of a failing headgasket.
While lemon laws vary by state, the purpose normally is to give buyers the right to have a manufacturer buy back a new car covered by a warranty that has a repair problem that is not fixed after a given number of attempts. The "defect" in many cases must be something affecting safety as opposed to something cosmetic, and that too, varies. It is not about refusing to replace it, per se.

Lemon laws covering used vehicles are not the norm. In most states, lemon laws apply to new vehicles purchased with a manufacturer warranty.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:55 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Sound like a form letter... They would address you directly if it was legitimate.

Quick Reply: Porsche legal problems in GA